Light Rail from Pier 66 to SeaTac?

gkrnjlr

Is it reasonable to think that we can get off the ship and take the light rail to SEA? If so - how far is the closest location to get on? If not - what's the least expensive way (post cruise) to get to the airport?

There are 2 adults and a 2 year old that we're trying to arrange transportation for.

Thanks!

Walk SE from PIER 66 to Depart Alaskan Way & Bell St At 09:52 AM On Route MT 99 International District via Pioneer Square Arrive S Jackson St & 5th Ave S At 10:01 AM Walk 0.1 mile S to Depart Intl District Statio & Tunnel Sta.-BAY C At 10:13 AM On Route ST 599 Central Link to Seatac Station Arrive ST Light Rail & SeaTac/Airport Stati At 10:44 AM Walk 0.3 mile S to SEA-TAC

Regular CASH Fare Reduced Fare with Permit $ 2.50 $ 1.25

HOLY CRAP!!! You’ve got to be kidding me. I can’t imagine dragging my bags all over Seattle with a 2 year old in tow. That’s a heck of lot of screw’n around to get a cheap ride to Sea/Tac. Take a cab or Shuttle bus they'll be a lot of them out front of the terminal when the ship comes in.

OH MY!!!! That's a 45 minute ordeal? Its not quite what I was picturing (getting off the ship and there being a Light Rail location "right there"). Thanks for the info!

I think the $32 for Super Shuttle sounds like a fabulous door to door deal!

It's not that complicated. If you want to make it as easy as possible, get a cab at the dock to Westlake Center. It's not far, less than ten minutes. Take the elevators down to the mezzanine, get your ticket, then another elevator to the platform. The trains are clean and new.

Westlake has a metro service center where you can ask any questions. The only unknown for me is the last bit, as I haven't taken the train since the last stop opened. I hear it's a little walk to get to the ticketing area of the airport.

The instructions that were posted are straight from the Metro web site and it makes the strip sound longer and more complicated. But it's rather fun and there are some interesting sights.

Having said all that, it's practically a straight shot from the dock to the airport by cab. I live about five blocks from there and it's the route I take.

I think it will work well for our group of 8. We had things all planned out and then our flight got cancelled and we were rescheduled on a flight 4 hours later. So now we think we will use the ship's service to have our bags taken to airport (Alaskian Airways.) It is a $20 charge, but much less hassle. Then we will get off the ship, wander around (luggageless), have some lunch, and then make our way to the Westlake Center and catch the train to SeaTac. Sure don't want to hang around the airport for 6 hours.

I think it will work well for our group of 8. We had things all planned out and then our flight got cancelled and we were rescheduled on a flight 4 hours later. So now we think we will use the ship's service to have our bags taken to airport (Alaskian Airways.) It is a $20 charge, but much less hassle. Then we will get off the ship, wander around (luggageless), have some lunch, and then make our way to the Westlake Center and catch the train to SeaTac. Sure don't want to hang around the airport for 6 hours.

That's the right idea. The light rail was not designed to accommodate travelers with luggage going to the airport, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm sure in a year or two you'll see luggage racks added to the train cars, but for now they're really intended as commuter trains; ironically because of the route the train follows (through some of Seattle's lower-income neighborhoods) it actually appears to be carrying more commuters to the airport - bag handlers, counter people, etc. than travelers from the airport.

That's the right idea. The light rail was not designed to accommodate travelers with luggage going to the airport, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm sure in a year or two you'll see luggage racks added to the train cars, but for now they're really intended as commuter trains; ironically because of the route the train follows (through some of Seattle's lower-income neighborhoods) it actually appears to be carrying more commuters to the airport - bag handlers, counter people, etc. than travelers from the airport.

Wow. I thought it was specifically FOR airport travelers with luggage. It was advertised as such....strange to hear differently.....

When we booked our hotel in downtown we were told by the front desk clerk to take the Light Rail to get to the hotel. We're going to have our daughter in a stroller and probably one rolling suitcase with maybe one backback. We do plan on taking the Light Rail from SEA to the hotel. Hopefully we won't regret it!

Wow. I thought it was specifically FOR airport travelers with luggage. It was advertised as such....strange to hear differently.....
Not really; the initial promotion by e.g. Ron Sims (former King County Executive, now Deputy Secretary of HUD) was that it would be used mainly by commuters. The taxi and limo people (and airport-area hotels) were at all not happy about it being a high-speed airport service, so it isn't.

Archived