Prohibited items on Carnival ships

*Mach*

I don't know if there is a difference in a plug strip and an extension cord. I only want to run a fan. I'll check out the battery powered one, but I don't know how much it'll help. I don't just get hot, ya'll, but its night sweats, and I can't cool off for usually an hour or so, and that's with my fan blowing on me.

If I can find an extension cord with just one outlet, I'll get it. I don't need anything for my cell phone (just a quick hour in the bathroom and I'm set for the ride home), and don't bring any other electronics.

I'll probably put all of this in my carry-on, but I don't see the difference. They'll catch it either way. I'll either tell them I need it or write a note saying I need it. I won't really lie and say it's medically needed, but I'll say I won't be able to sleep without it; and CCL won't want that hormonal, sleepless woman on board!

Can't wait to cruise, hot flashes or not!!

Shay

Try the o2 Cool. I got mine at WalMart for $14 and it works really great. Puts out a lot of wind - not as much as a electiric one - but sufficient - and it works for white noise also.

We boarded the Destiny last Thursday with a power strip in checked bags. We put a note on it stating "medically necessary" and had no problem. We were careful to only use for a couple of things at a time and did not keep it plugged in when we were out of the cabin. In fact we kept it put away unless we used it.

We boarded the Destiny last Thursday with a power strip in checked bags. We put a note on it stating "medically necessary" and had no problem. We were careful to only use for a couple of things at a time and did not keep it plugged in when we were out of the cabin. In fact we kept it put away unless we used it.

There ya' go... it works...

:)

There ya' go... it works...

Are you suggesting that people should lie about a "medical necessity"?

Are you suggesting that people should lie about a "medical necessity"?

Nothing of the sort... I was merely stating that labeling such an item as a medical necessity worked for getting it on board.

I'd expect that it was labeled properly.

OK, please excuse me if I'm dense and missed it somewhere, but what is the official update from the "beards" at CCL on the powerstrip deal?

Here's the general statement sent to me from guest svcs with no mention of power strips at all:

> --- Original Message ---

> Received: 4/28/10 10:07:29 PM EDT

> To: IMC Guest Info <guestinfo@carnival.com>

> Subject: General Policy Information

>

> I have seen a lot of chat regarding the terms in item 4(b) regarding

> household goods. Please provide examples, as this is an extremely general statement. Additonally this section specifies no cameras? You have to be kidding me.

On 5/5/10, Looney, Hortencia (CCL) <HLooney@carnival.com> wrote:

> Good morning xxxxx,

>

> The section about no household goods is talking about items such as candles or incense, heating pads, liquor or beer, scissors with blades longer than 4 inches, VCRs or play units, irons, toasters, blenders, coffee makers, cork screws, grills/griddles, pairing knives, etc. You can bring your camera but not to be used for commercial use. In other words photos and/or videos taken on board cannot be used to endorse any products. Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if items on the "Prohibited Items" list are found, they will be removed and destroyed if the guest cannot return them to their car. No compensation will be given. If there is a specific item you have a question about please let us know.

>

> Please reply to:

> guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com<mailto:guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com>

>

> Thank you for choosing Carnival!

OK, please excuse me if I'm dense and missed it somewhere, but what is the official update from the "beards" at CCL on the powerstrip deal?

Here's the general statement sent to me from guest svcs with no mention of power strips at all:

>

> household goods. Please provide examples, as this is an extremely general statement. Additonally this section specifies no cameras? You have to be kidding me.

> Good morning xxxxx,

>

> The section about no household goods is talking about items such as candles or incense, heating pads, liquor or beer, scissors with blades longer than 4 inches, VCRs or play units, irons, toasters, blenders, coffee makers, cork screws, grills/griddles, pairing knives, etc. You can bring your camera but not to be used for commercial use. In other words photos and/or videos taken on board cannot be used to endorse any products. Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if items on the "Prohibited Items" list are found, they will be removed and destroyed if the guest cannot return them to their car. No compensation will be given. If there is a specific item you have a question about please let us know.

>

> Please reply to:

>

Power strips are prohibited... pretty much end of discussion.

Just a bit of advice... if you want to bring something like that put it in your carry on...

Power strips are prohibited... pretty much end of discussion.

Just a bit of advice... if you want to bring something like that put it in your carry on...

That's what I'm doing, wrapped in a copy of their spanking new prohibited item list (posted above) which has no mention of power strips.

I can't believe they are still talking about section 4b as that was never the purpose and intent of that section. That section deals with freight and making sure you don't try to use the cruise ship to move all your belongings to your new home.

>

> Good morning xxxxx,

>

>

> Please reply to:

>

I am so confused! Of the items that you guys have mentioned here, fans, extension cords, and power-strips, the only thing that I can find on Carnival's website that is listed is "fans". Where does it say that extension cords and power-strips are prohibited. I looked in the FAQ on that prohibited list, as well as in the contract, which is not very clear, referring to "household goods". If it is the rule, then I will abide by it, but I just am not seeing it anywhere. It should be very clearly stated, especially if it is a safety concern. :confused:

I am so confused! Of the items that you guys have mentioned here, fans, extension cords, and power-strips, the only thing that I can find on Carnival's website that is listed is "fans". Where does it say that extension cords and power-strips are prohibited. I looked in the FAQ on that prohibited list, as well as in the contract, which is not very clear, referring to "household goods". If it is the rule, then I will abide by it, but I just am not seeing it anywhere. It should be very clearly stated, especially if it is a safety concern. :confused:

I agree but sadly the only thing that I can tell you is that they are confiscating power strips unless they're labeled as being medically necessary of happen to be stowed in a carry on bag.

:rolleyes:

You can bring your camera but not to be used for commercial use. In other words photos and/or videos taken on board cannot be used to endorse any products.

I know a Carnival employee wrote that, but according to their contract, that's not exactly correct. The contract says the photos can't show any parts of the ship, Carnivals' belongings, or people (staff or guests) on the ship. If you take photos that don't show any part of the ship (i.e. use a backdrop to shoot one of your own belongings against, take photos of the islands or ocean or sky from your balcony or an open deck), they would be fine to use for commercial use according to their contract. And, of course, you can bring your camera gear to use in the ports.

Also, the contract states you can get permission from Carnival for using photos that show a part of their ship and/or people onboard (you would need model releases from each person, of course).

Endorsing products is only one example of commercial use. Others are selling prints, selling products with photos on them (even if the ppl are paying only for the product and not the photo), and more.

I agree but sadly the only thing that I can tell you is that they are confiscating power strips unless they're labeled as being medically necessary of happen to be stowed in a carry on bag.

:rolleyes:

But unless you use Cruise Critic how would you know ?

There is nothing on Carnival's website about Power Strips. If they use the Household Goods section, they could take anything off you that they fancy and say we're keeping it, you're not getting it back !!!!!

Items will be confiscated unless you can take them back to your car ! My car will be 3000 miles away.

I'm also printing the email copied above and taking it with me.

John

There is nothing on Carnival's website about Power Strips. If they use the Household Goods section, they could take anything off you that they fancy and say we're keeping it, you're not getting it back !!!!!

Items will be confiscated unless you can take them back to your car ! My car will be 3000 miles away.

John

First, you wouldn't know about it. We're lucky to be able to know about such things happening almost instantly and do some research... such is the value of this on line community.

Power strips, fans, etc that have been confiscated are retained and returned at the end of the cruise. Personally, it sounds like more bother than what they save by taking the item away.

Obviously, we can't control what Carnival does but we can shine light on the most insipid aspects and that's what's led to the 'medically necessary' exemption.

John

So first I sent an email about it and was told no, I could definately not bring a power strip or a little rechargeable plug in flashlight - so I call yesterday, and suprise....I get a different answer. I was told bby the Cust Svc rep that I COULD bring both!!

So what is the answer.......should I call again and see if someone tells me something different! If they can't give you a straight answer, then they should not be confiscating things, right.

Oh, and by the way I was told in the email that if any were available I could request a power strip once onboard..........so the logic with that is?? :confused:

Help me out here!!!!!

First, you wouldn't know about it. We're lucky to be able to know about such things happening almost instantly and do some research... such is the value of this on line community.

Power strips, fans, etc that have been confiscated are retained and returned at the end of the cruise. Personally, it sounds like more bother than what they save by taking the item away.

Obviously, we can't control what Carnival does but we can shine light on the most insipid aspects and that's what's led to the 'medically necessary' exemption.

But my point is that Carnival have gone to the trouble of specifying in the new list of items that electric fans are no longer allowed. That's fine. If they were also banning Power Strips, surely they should be listed as well. Given that they are not, then all but the 2% of cruisers reading this might still take one (as this 1 cruiser who is reading this intends to). Where will they keep 2000 + power strips ?

John

[quote name='Hulabetty']So first I sent an email about it and was told no, I could definately not bring a power strip or a little rechargeable plug in flashlight - so I call yesterday, and suprise....I get a different answer. I was told bby the Cust Svc rep that I COULD bring both!!

So what is the answer.......should I call again and see if someone tells me something different! If they can't give you a straight answer, then they should not be confiscating things, right.

Oh, and by the way I was told in the email that if any were available I could request a power strip once onboard..........so the logic with that is?? :confused:

Help me out here!!!!![/quote]

You have to be able to judge the person's ability to provide you with the correct answer. Even John Heald has provided inaccurate information in response to a PVSA question.

The only way to do this is to ask the same question several times, and ask for the reason behind the answer.

For example, can you feed the sea lions in the San Pedro harbor? Per the receptionist at the Port of Los Angeles Headquarters the answer is yes. But I could tell he was guessing, so I continued. Per the dispatcher at the LA Port Police it was, I'll transfer you to my watch commander. Per the watch commander it was a good question. He gave me the phone number of someone who works at the hospital that rescues injured marine mammals. She cited the law I would be violating and the year it was enacted. Guess which one I decided was correct?

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']But my point is that Carnival have gone to the trouble of specifying in the new list of items that electric fans are no longer allowed. That's fine. If they were also banning Power Strips, surely they should be listed as well. Given that they are not, then all but the 2% of cruisers reading this might still take one (as this 1 cruiser who is reading this intends to). Where will they keep 2000 + power strips ?

John[/quote]

What makes you think every passenger on the ship is going to bring a power strip??? :confused:

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']But my point is that Carnival have gone to the trouble of specifying in the new list of items that electric fans are no longer allowed. That's fine. If they were also banning Power Strips, surely they should be listed as well. Given that they are not, then all but the 2% of cruisers reading this might still take one (as this 1 cruiser who is reading this intends to). Where will they keep 2000 + power strips ?

John[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]They have only completed part of the changes and until they are published and made available to the cruising public they shouldn't be implemented but that's just my opinion...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']But my point is that Carnival have gone to the trouble of specifying in the new list of items that electric fans are no longer allowed. That's fine. If they were also banning Power Strips, surely they should be listed as well. Given that they are not, then all but the 2% of cruisers reading this might still take one (as this 1 cruiser who is reading this intends to). [COLOR=Red]Where will they keep 2000 + power strips ?[/COLOR]

John[/quote]

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']I said every passenger might take one :)

And if so few passengers do, where's the problem :)[/quote]

1) You seem concerned about how the ship will store 2000 + power strips. That is a lot of mights.

2) I didn't say how many I thought would bring power strips. I only asked why you thought every passenger would.

Archived