How does the automatic tip thing work??

tbtma

okay, that make more sense. Sorry for the rampage. I don't really believe that the auto tipping has helped matters. I have always tipped well for good service. I don't believe that the service has degenerated so to speak as stated by someone previously. Those kids work really hard. It is almost disheartening to see how hard they work. People who do not tip need to understand that the income supplementation is huge and is based almost entirely on the tips we provide.

I think most will agree with you, but keep in mind, there are some TIGHT people out there that think $10 a day is just too much to pay for the people that take care of them... the stewards I have talked too say they DO make more money with the auto tips... now, that is not always a great thing. But if you have bad service, squeak the wheel... I don't mind paying $10 a day if they make my bed, straigten my room, straighten the bathroom and replenish towels, bring my food, and help when I need help... if they go below that, I won't reduce tips, but I have been very lucky to have the greatest of staff (knock on wood :D ) and tip extra to everyone... At $40 a month, I don't care what the "normal" wages are in their country, it is still a measily wage, especially since they work 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day... those tips mean alot... but if a bad staffer continually gets their tips lowered, it will definitely get someone's attention...

We always remove our tips and tip much more than what CCL recommends. I know someone who use to work on a cruise line and they said it is like the food insdustry. A waiter is not going to claim all of his cash tips but hide most of this "under the table" for tax reasons.

I don't really care what our waiters and room staff do with the tips.

Also, performance is NOT rated on how many tips someone makes. I am wondering where this information came from??!? My friend states his performance was based on the comments card from the cabin and this is what they used to promote and renew contracts.

We always remove our tips and tip much more than what CCL recommends. I know someone who use to work on a cruise line and they said it is like the food insdustry. A waiter is not going to claim all of his cash tips but hide most of this "under the table" for tax reasons.

Also, performance is NOT rated on how many tips someone makes. I am wondering where this information came from??!? My friend states his performance was based on the comments card from the cabin and this is what they used to promote and renew contracts.

Hmm did they work for Carnival? How recently? I have been told this several times by staff on different ships.It would seem to me if that were true they would ask everyone to remove tips and pay them personally. Most I have asked love the auto tipping.

I think the last report I saw said that less than 40% of cruisers actually filled out the comment cards... so I doubt they can use this SOLELY as a purpose of performance. Also, if they continue to hold back their income, you can believe someone will notice. Tips are their #1 way of rating performance.... and low tips, is going to be against you getting your contract renewed.... these people makes SOOOO much more money on the ship than they could in their country and I highly doubt any of them would risk it to that extent. I'm sure things might have been much different prior to the auto tip policy however, so there may have been other reasons as to why it was implemented as well....

This continues to interest me greatly. The lovely and I did have a conversation with the head waiter after we tipped him additionally the last night of our cruise. The kid was EXTREAMELY greatful and very graceful about it. The conversation did turn to monthly income however, and if I remember it correctly he said it was $40 per week as a base, and everything additional was based upon the tipping that they get. He was pretty quiet when he was saying this as if he would get into trouble for saying it. Kind of weird. It almost makes me ashamed to be a part of the industry when you see these kids working from 15 -18 hours a day. However it is a living for them and most seem quite happy to have the opportunity.

I would however like to see something about the tipping policy in writing that further clarifies what is being said here. I understand fully that it is probably some deep dark corporate secret. However I believe that if Joe American (ME) were better educated, we would all have a greater understanding of how the process works.

Just some food for thought.

thanks I am doing some major research,

I think I need to stop for awhile, because it is getting all consuming!

Cotton, I noticed that too!!!! Seems time consuming! LOL!!!!! :D

Leslie, for excursions, you can visit the ports of call board and get some ideas.... also look on Carnivals site to see what they have to offer... just do your research. For certain ships, Carnival is offering booking excursions online... and should be fleetwide soon! Have a great time!

Tarbash, you can try searching.... it was posted here, I can't remember by who (it will come to me later :p ) probably about 8 months ago or so... It is not a deep dark secret. The same policy holds true for many cruiselines...

They actually make $1.50 per day, not $40 per week.... which is even worse. Yes, they rely on the tips....

If you do not pre pay your tips, does the tip for a 7 day cruise show up as one $70.00 charge on your account or a charge of $10.00 for each day ?

On Princess there are 2 daily charges, $3.50 for the room steward and $6.50 for dining room service.

Hmm did they work for Carnival? How recently? I have been told this several times by staff on different ships.It would seem to me if that were true they would ask everyone to remove tips and pay them personally. Most I have asked love the auto tipping.

This was CCL and recently (contract was just up a few months ago). Auto tipping does have its advantages, no doubt about that. As with the tipping policy, you are correct. Employees MUST turn all tips in if the auto tips are taken off; however, this works on the "honor system". Honest workers like myself will turn in these tips, but there are always those workers that are going to pocket most of the tip money and only claim a certain amount. Of course they are risking early termination of their contract by doing so.

I will e-mail my friend and see if he can log onto these boards to clarify in detail what happens with the tipping system.

Again, the auto tipping policy does make sure that everyone gets paid. Sometimes we leave the tips and tip extra, other times we take all the tips off and pay the people who we have come in contact with that amount plus additional based on performance.

• 1 month later...

Althought I am am in the IT field now, I have worked at a number of bars as a bartender and done some catering. TIPS have always been a measure of performance. Yes, many do report less then they get, but they'll never get rich of the differance. It may never be in writing but you mannager, head bartender or wait staff manager tracks that stuff carefully. It's all about the $$$.

Maybe thats why I tend to over tip . But I know how getting stiffed feels. I over tip:

1. 'Cause I know what it's like to live off tips.

2. "Cause I KNOW that the one's that are the most hassle tip the porrest, if

at all.

3. 'Cause I can. And I thank God that I don't have to work for tips anymore.

And after reading this thread, I'll make sure I start filling out the comment cards more regularly.

OK, now lemme delve into this tip controversy.... I had watched on PBS a documentary about Carnival Cruise Lines, and that showed Chairman Dickenson spending this day and that day doing differernt cruise jobs... And when he got teamed up with this woman who's job is to do the staterooms he leanred alot about how hard the job could be, and that at the end of that sailing she told Dickenson that she didn't get any tips on that particular stateroom and how she counts on it for her liveleyhood. He then commented on how sorry he felt for her and appreciated the problem, he consoled her. Then after that he was telling the host of the program that he still feels tipping should be "optional", and that it should not be added onto the S&S account. He told the host of the show that having people leave money in envelopes at the end of the cruise would keep the quality of work up, and be a constant motivator in keeping the ships workers motivated. So now that i'm reading all of this, i guess the chairman has since changed his mind and does allow for the sign and sail card to be billed. The show aired middle of last year.

p.s., i would say just have the tips billed onto the card, at least that way, the workers know already at the very least, you took care of them already.

This thread has really cleared up the tipping question for me. I was wondering how the staff would know that I had prepaid their tips if I decided to tip them extra every day. Short of saying "this is an extra tip", which I would feel uncomfortable doing, I didn't want them to think that that was the only tip they were going to see from me. So thanks everyone!!:)

The "Back to the Floor" episode is actually several years old... I'll have to watch it again, I don't remember Uncle Bob saying that... but yes, he did sympathize with the workers, and they did show one lady raising *&^% because her S&S had been automatically charged... he had some words to say about that. ;)

Archived