To kindle or not to kindle...

Oh, I hadn't thought of that - good idea. I knew you could use gift cards but hadn't thought of getting one for myself. I'm thinking of letting our sons know that gift cards for Mother's Day would be nice.

All my friends and family know that if they want to get me a gift it HAS to be a B&N gift certificate.

I no longer have any need for "stuff" in my life (I don't consider fine jewelry.."stuff";))...and I don't want piles of books all over the house. So they know that I will love to fill up my Nook with wonderful books!!

You will love your Nook...very easy to use..and comfy to hold and read. Do yourself a favor and invest in a cover for it.

All my friends and family know that if they want to get me a gift it HAS to be a B&N gift certificate.

I no longer have any need for "stuff" in my life (I don't consider fine jewelry.."stuff";))...and I don't want piles of books all over the house. So they know that I will love to fill up my Nook with wonderful books!!

You will love your Nook...very easy to use..and comfy to hold and read. Do yourself a favor and invest in a cover for it.

I got an e-mail this morning that the cover I ordered yesterday is scheduled to ship. Now if they only had something waterproof so I could read in the tub. Maybe I need to get my sons busy on inventing one.

I can't tell you much about the Kindle, but am a book lover who happily started eReading years ago on my Palm...have gone to an iPod touch and have both eReader & Kindle installed on it. Wonderful! I love being able to read with the book in the palm of my hand (I don't see well, but I can get a good font on it). It can be thrown in my purse, and I have music, photos, games, Bibles, TV shows & movies on there too! If I want a paperback, I can buy one but I love being able to slip my entertainment center into a pocket!

I am an early adapter of Kindle and now have 4 registered to my Kindle account (Kindle family plus friend). Just returned from 31 day cruise and read close to 20 books; I love, love, love my Kindle.

I wonder how many people will buy this and then later buy one of the "full scale models" because they love the concept but don't want the stripped-down versions.

To be honest I liked the Kindle 2 but with taxes and duty (have to ship up to Canada) it would have been close to 400 dollars as opposed to 150 for the Kobo). The Nook isn't available at all in Canada ... basically our choices up here (to get easily from a brick and mortar store) are Kindle 2, any Sony e-reader or Kobo.

My other issue with the Kindle is the draconian DRM and closed format of the system ... I want to be able to read free EPUB's easily and buy from multiple bookstores, I don't like that the Kindle only supports a propriety format. I know there are ways to strip the DRM from Kindle books but I'm not techy enough to want to invest the time learning how.

I got an e-mail this morning that the cover I ordered yesterday is scheduled to ship. Now if they only had something waterproof so I could read in the tub. Maybe I need to get my sons busy on inventing one.

Oh! I saw a "waterproof" case on Amazon when I was surfing around for covers. Sort of like a fitted, thick ziploc - I've seen them for cameras and such too. A friend has one for a camera, and it made the journey up Dunns River Falls perfectly (with great pics). So I'd trust the waterproof aspect of it.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Kindle-Border/dp/B0026GJHVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273077427&sr=8-2

they have it in several colors if that sort of thing matters for you.

And my Kindle2 arrives today...I'm now stalking the UPS man. WHERE IS HE?

Oh! I saw a "waterproof" case on Amazon when I was surfing around for covers. Sort of like a fitted, thick ziploc - I've seen them for cameras and such too. A friend has one for a camera, and it made the journey up Dunns River Falls perfectly (with great pics). So I'd trust the waterproof aspect of it.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Kindle-Border/dp/B0026GJHVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273077427&sr=8-2

they have it in several colors if that sort of thing matters for you.

And my Kindle2 arrives today...I'm now stalking the UPS man. WHERE IS HE?

Thanks, neighbor (just noticed you're from Ft. Worth).

I went to the TrendyDigital website and they actually list that as usable with the Nook too. It got favorable reviews so I just may have to get one of those for myself for Mother's Day. It would be nice for the beach to so you don't worry about sand, etc. blowing into it.

I'm a cheapskate:p..so if I want to "waterproof" my Nook I'll seal it in a gallon size baggie.

I'm extremely careful with it and don't anticipate ever dropping it into the tub..etc..but it works great in that baggie. I just use the side buttons to turn pages instead of swiping on the pad.

If you're looking to protect your Kindle, these should be out soon:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets/m-edge-unveils-the-guardian-waterproof-kindle-case/

Wow. I love that thing -- looks much like my Otterbox for my ipod. I was already mentally spending my Amazon.com gift card . . . until I noticed the $80 price tag. That's a little steep for me. I guess Bakincakes and I'll both continue to sport the ziplock bags.

Let me start by saying that this is probably a very dumb question. I'm hooked on audio books and understand that the latest Kindle version has audio capabilities. Here's the question: Should a book be available in audio, do you have to buy both versions - audio and text? Or if you buy audio, is the text format also included? The reason I ask is because I enjoy audio CD's while driving. I'd like to be able to read and then switch to audio when I'm in the car. Or, are the audio versions so limited that it's a mute point???

Let me start by saying that this is probably a very dumb question. I'm hooked on audio books and understand that the latest Kindle version has audio capabilities. Here's the question: Should a book be available in audio, do you have to buy both versions - audio and text? Or if you buy audio, is the text format also included? The reason I ask is because I enjoy audio CD's while driving. I'd like to be able to read and then switch to audio when I'm in the car. Or, are the audio versions so limited that it's a mute point???
I'm a very visual person, and I do not like to be read to; thus, I don't like the Kindle's audio feature. I did try it out, and my daughters have used it with an ipod splitter (which allows two of them to listen with two sets of headphones). What I do know:

When you buy a book, you can see whether it includes audio or not. Since this isn't something I use, I haven't paid much attention to this feature, but you can surf around Amazon for a few minutes and get a feel for what percentage of books offer audio.

There are a couple of answers to your question...

1. Kindle does offer a "text to speech" option for some titles... though I hear the speech aspect isn't a "natural" sounding voice... in other words, it won't sound like the audio books you are accustomed to... someone else may chime in and disagree...

2. Any time you buy an actual audio book, that is what you get... the book on audio, being read by someone... it does not include the text...

Audio versions are not limited per se... but not all titles are available as audio books...

Both kindle and nook allow you to load audio books onto the device and listen in that way... though to be honest, an e-reader device is a pretty expensive option for listening to audio books... and audio books have a tendency to take up a lot more space than an e-book...

I took my Kindle to the beach in Dominican Republic and Labadee and had no problem at all. I have a neoprene case it goes in when I'm not using it. There are water resistant cases but honestly, I'm not taking it into the pool or ocean, so why do I really need it? I'm more interested in impact resistant as I'm more likely to drop it or knock it against something than I am in getting it wet. I do have to say I love the screen and how it's so clear even in bright sunshine.

My Kindle was the only e-reader I saw on our EOS cruise last month.

There are a couple of answers to your question...

1. Kindle does offer a "text to speech" option for some titles... though I hear the speech aspect isn't a "natural" sounding voice... in other words, it won't sound like the audio books you are accustomed to... someone else may chime in and disagree...

Kindle 2 Owner here. I disagree. You can choose male or female voice and it does not sound like a computer.

2. Any time you buy an actual audio book, that is what you get... the book on audio, being read by someone... it does not include the text...

Audio versions are not limited per se... but not all titles are available as audio books...

Both kindle and nook allow you to load audio books onto the device and listen in that way... though to be honest, an e-reader device is a pretty expensive option for listening to audio books... and audio books have a tendency to take up a lot more space than an e-book...

This latter statement does not apply to Kindle. The book space is the same whether you read it or play the audio from the text.

This might be a silly question but I subscribe to the daily NY Times on the kindle. Will it be able to download to my kindle on a cruise ship?

You sure will, the Kindle connects using the ships cell-phone system. Not sure what the charges for that would be, though I suspect it will be the same as what they charge for downloading the paper when travelling anywhere in another country.

I put mine in a large zip-lock bag, works perfectly and cost zippo!

At over 100 dollars less then a Kindle ... personally I think Kobo is going to appeal greatly to the mass market. There are ALOT of people on the fence about ereaders who will buy at a 150 dollar price point. Keep in mind that 150 is Canadian too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 139.99 stateside.

That is me! I am clumsy and lose or break things. I have a blackberry and use an iPhone for work so I don't want all the extras. I really like the price point. If I do lose or break it I will be less upset than if it was $250US. I also love that I can buy my books in CND$$. That is what made the decision for me. I bought it Monday and have finished the new JR Ward book (not available on kindle) and I am deeply in love.

I just found the Kindle for PC - and it is FREE. You can download straight to your computer. just open your Kindle for PC and read. You can download the same books, try it first, I bet you will be hooked...
Can I download to my netbook? My favorite book series has a book release June 22nd on my sea day so I can't get to a book store. Wouldn't I just have to pay Royal C for internet the time it takes to download to the netbook? Thanks for any info.

This latter statement does not apply to Kindle. The book space is the same whether you read it or play the audio from the text.

I was actually referring to real audio books, as in the kind that are actually read by the author or an actor... those are space hogs for an e-reader device...

That is me! I am clumsy and lose or break things. I have a blackberry and use an iPhone for work so I don't want all the extras. I really like the price point. If I do lose or break it I will be less upset than if it was $250US. I also love that I can buy my books in CND$$. That is what made the decision for me. I bought it Monday and have finished the new JR Ward book (not available on kindle) and I am deeply in love.

Yeah I love my Kobo too! My wife liked it so much we bought a second one online yesterday (the black one's are available online now).

White one's are sold out apparently. I'm probably going to give my white one to my wife and claim the manly black one.

Another question since I've just gotten my Kindle. When you "download" a book, does it actually go to you kindle, or is it in an account somewhere and you're actually reading from Amazon?

I guess another way of asking is "Is the 3G for simply downloading, or is it used to read the book?"

While on the cruise I'm not interested in checking emails or reading newspapers, just books, and I don't want to pay ship charges for internet.

Once you download your books (which I suggest you do BEFORE you cruise - to avoid roaming fees - and only available if you have the International Kindle). 3G is ONLY for downloading not for reading. Hit the Home key and choose turn off wireless. This will cut off your connection AND extend your battery life by about double. I hardly ever leave my wi-fi connection on.

If you want your newspapers... it is doable but the connection will cost you.

Archived