Help Create a NEW "Cruising on Royal Caribbean FAQ"

Which ships do not have the freestyle soda machines?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Easier to tell you which ones do:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383106

Bob seems to be the keeper of the list since RCCL does not communicate explicitly about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It has been several years since we have cruised on RC and never out of Seattle. We will be flying in from Vegas the morning of the cruise (red eye so actually the night before) and are wondering if there will be someone in the baggage claim area around 9:00 or so to help us with getting to the transfer area for the bus to the ship?

The RCCL web site states a greeter will meet you in baggage claim, but the one time we flew in to SEA for another cruise line they also made that claim but we never saw anyone and almost missed the transfer bus by the time we figured out we had to find it on our own.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dian

Well, I figured out how to reserve dining, so now I'm looking for recommendations re the specialty restaurants as well as pros and cons to buying the "First Night Done Right" dinner.

Also trying to figure out registering for C&A - my husband did already; should I register separately? I've tried to add myself to his but keep getting an error message.

Finally, also still wondering about what time we can board the ship on the 22nd. We'll be driving down that day and probably won't be able to get there until 11:30 or later, also thinking about having lunch in Galveston before we board.

Thanks!!

We loved Chops Grille for one of the dinners! Excellent food. We were on Liberty in May of 2016, and we will be back on April 22 aboard the lovely Liberty of the Seas!

Thank you Kamloops50. I had pulled that map up also. My question is if RCCL has representatives who actually meet you in the baggage claim area. A friend is flying in and suffers from extreme anxiety issues since loosing her husband about a year ago. She might be overwhelmed if she has to figure out how to navigate from one end of the airport to the other with her luggage and such since this is her first cruise ever and she is semi handicapped but mobile (no scooter or wheel chair needed)

In that situation, it might be worth specifying she needs a wheel chair. The tip to the "pusher" will be relatively small; he will handle the luggage and get her to the right spot for the departure bus. I know many older people who are capable of walking, but not capable of "navigating" who use a wheel chair for that reason.

My DH and I are taking our first cruise ever on Freedom of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale end of April. This is also our first time to the state of Florida. I have a few questions I haven't found answers to yet.

1. We recently were upgraded from E3- Deck 6 Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony to D1-Deck 10 Superior Ocean View with Balcony. Does this upgrade really mean anything other than a deck change? Are there any benefits to category D1 vs. E3?

2. We prepaid our gratuities. Are there still some people we should be tipping that aren't included in the prepaid grats?

3. What is the benefit of a pre-paid photo package vs. buying pictures individually on the ship?

4. Our departure time is 5:30 and it says check in is between 12:30-4:30. What would be the best time to arrive to minimize congestion? Should I arrive before 12:30? Or is there no such time to ease check in wait times?

5. Our cruise arrives back in Fort Lauderdale around 5:30AM. Does that mean we have to be ready to leave the ship at 5:30AM?

6. Does anytime dining mean we just show up at the dining-room whenever we want?

7. We're staying at a local hotel pre-cruise. What would be the best way to get to the cruise port?

8. Post cruise we plan to rent a car (probably from the airport?) and visit the keys for a few days. Are there taxis near by? Or should we pre-arrange one?

I feel really dumb asking these questions, but greatly appreciate any answers!

Lisa

My DH and I are taking our first cruise ever on Freedom of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale end of April. This is also our first time to the state of Florida. I have a few questions I haven't found answers to yet.

1. We recently were upgraded from E3- Deck 6 Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony to D1-Deck 10 Superior Ocean View with Balcony. Does this upgrade really mean anything other than a deck change? Are there any benefits to category D1 vs. E3? Your balcony and cabin will be a little bigger.

2. We prepaid our gratuities. Are there still some people we should be tipping that isn't included in the prepaid grats?

None that I can think of. Bar service adds 18%.Some passengers do tip extra cash to waitstaff and cabin attendant.

3. What is the benefit of a pre-paid photo package vs. buying pictures individually on the ship?

Check prices before you make a decision. The package is expensive. But if you purchase a lot of photos?

4. Our departure time is 5:30 and it says check-in is between 12:30-4:30. What would be the best time to arrive to minimize congestion? Should I arrive before 12:30? Or is there no such time to ease check-in wait times?

The later in the day, you check-in, fewer people. Hotel checkout is 11:00 AM we always head to the port directly from the hotel.

5. Our cruise arrives back in Fort Lauderdale around 5:30AM. Does that mean we have to be ready to leave the ship at 5:30AM?

No. You need to vacate your cabin by around 8 AM. After that, you wait for your number to be called. Breakfast is available.

6. Does anytime dining mean we just show up at the dining-room whenever we want?

MTD you can make reservations, or you can wait in line when you arrive.

7. We're staying at a local hotel pre-cruise. What would be the best way to get to the cruise port?

Unless the hotel has a FREE shuttle, take a taxi.

8. Post cruise we plan to rent a car (probably from the airport?) and visit the keys for a few days. Are there taxis nearby? Or should we pre-arrange one?

Plenty of taxis will be available. Assuming you are returning to FLL reserve a car there.

I feel really dumb asking these questions, but greatly appreciate any answers!

Lisa

Enjoy your cruise.

2. We prepaid our gratuities. Are there still some people we should be tipping that aren't included in the prepaid grats?

When you drop off your bags with the porters it is customary to tip.

If you use a porter to help you with your bags, it us also customary to tip.

If you order room service, it is customary to tip $1-$2.

Otherwise tipping beyond your prepaid is totally at your discretion. Sometimes we tip our cabin steward, any server we thought went over and above but sometimes we don't just depends. My husband usually gives the custom omelette guy in the Windjammer a tip at the end since we end up seeing him every morning [emoji16].

I've heard the package is cheaper but not necessary. We usually buy 1 or 2 photos but they are expensive 18? Each. Don't hold me to the number. But it is usually the only time we are in photos together. Of you do get a package, stop at every photographer you see and get a pic!

4. Our departure time is 5:30 and it says check in is between 12:30-4:30. What would be the best time to arrive to minimize congestion? Should I arrive before 12:30? Or is there no such time to ease check in wait times?

We usually leave our hotel at 10 to head over to the port. We've only had to wait when the ship happened to have been "sanitized", otherwise, we've pretty much been able to get in the building to start check in. We are usually on board 11ish. We find a table in the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade to get an early lunch. Cabins aren't generally ready until 1. We set up somewhere out of the eating areas to wait for cabins to be ready.

We boarded FOTS last March and our party of 6 waited 5 minutes to check in. We waited in "chairs" for our crown&anchor Emerald to be called. That was 5 minutes maybe?

It arrives at 530 but in March "walk off" for those who did not send their bags out the night before (also referred to as self-assist), was around 6-630? We had a 12 hour drive ahead of us so we were in line early to get on the road. We each had our own bags and made our way to the terminal to clear customs. We had global entry, so we were at our vehicle within 10 minutes of leaving the deck of the ship.

Sounds like you won't be in a hurry to disembark? You can put your bags outside your door the night before (remember to keep your change of clothes and items that you need in the morning), either take your small bags with you at breakfast or go early enough to breakfast to be back in time to get your bags to be out early enough. The time will be noted on your Cruise Compass the last night.

We have also done "self assist" but taken our time getting off. We've left our bags stacked in pur cabin, gotten breakfast, gotten our bags, and chilled in a place out of the way (we had an afternoon flight but not enough time to really do anything). When the crowd had thinned, we made our way to the terminal to get a cab. Cabs are plentiful at every cruise terminal that we have been. FLL airport is Extremely close to port everglades. Be sure and reserve your car ahead of time, no matter which vendor and/or location.

You can do that but don't be surprised if you have to wait to be seated if you show up at a "peak" time. I generally have reserved our table in pur cruise planner online. We eat pretty early since we have a child and we usually get up early too...

But I make our reservation depending upon our times in port and what we may have done that day.

Depending on where you are staying, it is usually faster(and sometimes cheaper) to just do a cab or an Uber. We've done both. If you are staying close to the airport area cab will be around $15ish.

8. Post cruise we plan to rent a car (probably from the airport?) and visit the keys for a few days. Are there taxis near by? Or should we pre-arrange one?

Cabs are plentiful. Taxis live for disemb days. They know they will get riders quickly. Depending on your rental agency, they may have a shuttle to their lot. Check these boards for FLL rental cars. I know I have seen posts about which ones pick up at port everglades.

Have a great time and enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hi

I am trying to book meals in the speciality restaurants buying a 5 night dining package. it doesn't seem to allow me to book restaurants at the same time as paying for the package and keeps trying to charge me full price for them. Can anyone help, or do I need to phone?

Thanks

good luck with that :-(

My wife and I are members of Crown & Anchor and are booked on 2 cruises with RC this year. Their website is just about the worse cruise website I have ever experienced. It is full of errors and confusing information. Maybe send them an email to cruiseadmin.au@rcclapac.com.

I was using Facebook messenger but apparently with the dining package you can not pre book your choices. That is not very great in my opinion as you could end up wasting money if you can only eat at 9 o'clock at night (that is too late for me), or 6pm (way too early!) . I may eat at less of them and just book the ones I want. I might try an email too though. NCL allow me to pre book!

I agree the website is really hard to work through.

Hi what's the average time you can disembark the ship? We are at Fort Lauderdale and our flight is at 11.30am so I am panicking it's not enough time

You should be good. Plus, for an 11:30 flight you are eligible for "Luggage Valet" which gives you even more cushion. The airport is just a few minutes away.

WATER: It appears that although RC's Official policy is that you cannot bring drinks of any kind aboard, they have relaxed their rules a little. Several people on our April 5, 2012 sailing had cases of water with luggage tags attached delivered to their room. We had liters of water in our bags- no problems.

STATEROOMS: If you tend to be hot natured or like to sleep in a cool room, bring a fan. It will not get below 70* in your stateroom, even with the thermostat on max cool the entire time. Also, bring binder clips or some other type of clip to keep your curtain closed while you sleep if you have a window or balcony. You will be glad you did when you wake up without being blinded by the sun!

How are people sending cases of water thru with a luggage tag? I was going to put as case in a suitcase - do you think that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone who has waited until the last minute to book, and was watching prices, did they go up or down?

Thanks for any and all replies !

Barb

Both - depends on how full the ship is, and how close to the sailing date.

I've got bargains by booking the week before the cruise, and I've seen cabins go up by massive amounts as the departure date approaches (if they only have 1 or 2 cabins left).

• 2 weeks later...

When you are in your cabin be sure to leave the “do not disturb “ hanger outside. This lets your steward know you are in the room and he won’t walk in on you or knock. He will know when you leave an then go in.

• Thanks 1

hi trivial newbie question, when you check in online and upload a photo, is this printed on your seapass ?

No

When is the scan when you’re leaving and getting on the ship They could see your picture

Sent from my iPad using Forums