Help Create a NEW "Cruising on Royal Caribbean FAQ"

I can't drink the desalinated water as it makes my ankles swell terribly. This includes the water that is in the fountain sodas, soup, reconstituted juice, ice cubes, etc..

If I get a note from my Dr., do you think they would let me bring my own water on board? And who would I show the note to??? I've seen wrapped cases being taken away by the inspectors and they can be nasty.

Is that what causes my problem!? That never occurred to me. I blamed it on the salt in the food & requested "low salt"for our next sailing in 23 days... it wasn't only my ankles, but my eyes lids & my face swelled too... Day 1. I rarely drink anything but filtered water from my fridge (no bottled water). Is it too late to put in a medical request for me with only 23 days remaining?

sent from cruisecritic forums app

Can anyone explain how to go about using the climbing wall, mini golf, etc on Explorer? Do you have to sign up ahead of time or do you just show up when you have some free time. Is there a fee associated with either of the 2 I mentioned? I.ve been on the ship 3x & only just found them on our last trip. Sailing again on Oct 20, so it would be useful to know.

Thanks!

Can anyone explain how to go about using the climbing wall, mini golf, etc on Explorer? Do you have to sign up ahead of time or do you just show up when you have some free time. Is there a fee associated with either of the 2 I mentioned? I.ve been on the ship 3x & only just found them on our last trip. Sailing again on Oct 20, so it would be useful to know.

Thanks!

No...they're all free. You have to sign a waiver for the climbing wall and wear socks. Mini golf is open 24 hours a day. You will have to check the compass for hours on the rock wall. In line skating and ice skating are also free, but you have to have socks and long pants for the ice skating.

Is that what causes my problem!? That never occurred to me. I blamed it on the salt in the food & requested "low salt"for our next sailing in 23 days... it wasn't only my ankles, but my eyes lids & my face swelled too... Day 1. I rarely drink anything but filtered water from my fridge (no bottled water). Is it too late to put in a medical request for me with only 23 days remaining?

They won't provide you with bottled water, but you can purchase or bring your own.

No...they're all free. You have to sign a waiver for the climbing wall and wear socks. Mini golf is open 24 hours a day. You will have to check the compass for hours on the rock wall. In line skating and ice skating are also free, but you have to have socks and long pants for the ice skating.

Thanks, this is very helpful!

They won't provide you with bottled water, but you can purchase or bring your own.

To bring the water, will I need a special needs form filled out, do you think? Or I've seen people post that they just bring bottled water by the case with a luggage tag attached... I don't want to break the rules, but this last cruise was made somewhat unpleasant by my sudden swelling... needless to say, I avoided all photo ops!

Thank you again for your quick response!

I can't drink the desalinated water as it makes my ankles swell terribly. This includes the water that is in the fountain sodas, soup, reconstituted juice, ice cubes, etc..

If I get a note from my Dr., do you think they would let me bring my own water on board? And who would I show the note to??? I've seen wrapped cases being taken away by the inspectors and they can be nasty.

I believe the definition of "desalinated water" is water from which salt has been removed.

It most likely is the things that the water is added to that causes your problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking my first RCI cruise in March 2014. I am so excited:D:D but overwhelmed in trying to figure out my schedule. So tell me about the best excursions. Best values for the money or the one that is a "have to do". Bring it on veterans, I am hungry for info!!

I noticed the website says this:

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners."

Has anyone had issues bringing on a travel steamer (NOT iron) lately? Is this a new rule that steamers are not allowed?

I noticed the website says this:

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners."

Has anyone had issues bringing on a travel steamer (NOT iron) lately? Is this a new rule that steamers are not allowed?

Yes, and they will take a steamer and return it at the end of the cruise.

We had always taken a small Leatherman tool....and they never took it or said a word about it until the port of New Orleans, because it also includes a very small knife blade.

You may be able to take things onboard until all of a sudden, some port won't let you.

Just don't let it hamper your enjoyment of the cruise. :)

Edited by Coralc

Does anyone know if luggage service (checked in directly from ship to airline; don't see it until you land at final destination) is available on the Allure (Fort Lauderdale)? I'm flying JetBlue to Boston on day of disembarkation.

Thanks.

Yes, it is. Not all airlines are included. Not sure about Jet Blue.

Does anyone know if luggage service (checked in directly from ship to airline; don't see it until you land at final destination) is available on the Allure (Fort Lauderdale)? I'm flying JetBlue to Boston on day of disembarkation.

Thanks.

From the RCI website regarding Luggage Valet Your flight can not leave any earlier than 11:30 or noon. Can't remember.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks.

interesting question

We R from Boston too .We went on the Allure in Feb. We didn't know anything about this so we got our own bags. U do have to take them through customs.

We R going on the Oasis in March. Going Jet Blue this time nonstop.

Please let me know if Jet Blue does this. :)

Margie from Framingham

interesting question

We R from Boston too .We went on the Allure in Feb. We didn't know anything about this so we got our own bags. U do have to take them through customs.

We R going on the Oasis in March. Going Jet Blue this time nonstop.

Please let me know if Jet Blue does this. :)

Margie from Framingham

Margie, please see my post #215.

RCCL's alcohol policy states "Guests are NOT allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use" - this includes WINE, beer, liquor and any and all other alcoholic beverages. (RCCL no longer allows you to bring wine onboard and pay a corkage fee).

This post may need editing. As of today, 11/3/2013, the RC website states:

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes But i find my hand steamer so much better :)

Ah...we have one of these but thought we couldn't take it on board - thought they might confiscate it ! I take it you haven't had this problem ? We'd love to take ours !

Angela, Sydney Australia.

Ah...we have one of these but thought we couldn't take it on board - thought they might confiscate it ! I take it you haven't had this problem ? We'd love to take ours !

I've taken my steamer on Rhapsody and Radiance...just had it packed in my suite case and they never took it off me. It's just a small hand held steamer

I've taken my steamer on Rhapsody and Radiance...just had it packed in my suite case and they never took it off me. It's just a small hand held steamer

Thanks for that - ours is just a small hand held one too we picked up in Vegas - we'll give it a go taking it on board :)

From the RCI website FAQ under What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Thanks for that - ours is just a small hand held one too we picked up in Vegas - we'll give it a go taking it on board :)

If you have a hair straightener you can double it up as an iron also. But like I said hand held steamers seem to be ok. I think the steamer people are referring to are the medical steamers for congestion and the like.