Where to go during extended stay

rasta

Planning several week stay in PR next spring. The majority of the stay will be in Luquillo which I have found to be the perfect location since it is close to San Juan, El Yunque, Fajardo and lots of cool beaches. However, I want to explore other parts of the island(s) in addition to Luquillo this time.

Any suggestins on choosing between driving over the the Northwest side to a place like Isabela or down South perhaps East of Ponce. Each is about 1.5 hour drive (depending on traffic I'm sure). Other choice would be either Vieques or Culebra for 3-4 days but not sure which one I would prefer. Family with two daughters ages 10 and 14, love to be laid back at the beach or on some type of big adventure like a rainforest hike on a lesser explored trail.

Suggestions welcome.

BTW, last time I stayed at Playa Azul and had a good experience there but there were two low rise facilites just to the West, Punta Bandera was one but I could never find the name of the other. I would love a contact to try and find a vacation rental opportunity at one of those as they looked a little upscale and I wouldn't have to take the elevator like at Play Azul. Anyone have a contact for one of those?

Flamenco Beach on Culebra is a great way to spend the day. It has everything that you need. If you are in Puerto Rico on a Sunday then you should definately consider driving to Guavate. We had a great time there.

When we were there for a day in March, our tour guide raved about the caves in the northwestern part of the island. I don't know the name of them, but he said it was his favorite place to go on the island.

I think these are the caves -- in Camuy:

http://www.topuertorico.org/city/camuy.shtml

That site says, "Rio Camuy Cave Park is the third-largest cave system in the world." Sounds pretty cool.

If you want to spend a couple of days elsewhere, I'd recommend Ponce and the surrounding areas. There are hotels ranging from $ to $$$ and lots to see in the area. The city itself is very colorful and has some nice historic buildings. Nearby are Hacienda Buena Vista and Tibes ceremonial park. No good beaches in Ponce itself, but Guánica, which is just a couple of towns west, does have good beaches. HTH!

Planning several week stay in PR next spring. The majority of the stay will be in Luquillo which I have found to be the perfect location since it is close to San Juan, El Yunque, Fajardo and lots of cool beaches. However, I want to explore other parts of the island(s) in addition to Luquillo this time.

Any suggestins on choosing between driving over the the Northwest side to a place like Isabela or down South perhaps East of Ponce. Each is about 1.5 hour drive (depending on traffic I'm sure). Other choice would be either Vieques or Culebra for 3-4 days but not sure which one I would prefer. Family with two daughters ages 10 and 14, love to be laid back at the beach or on some type of big adventure like a rainforest hike on a lesser explored trail.

Suggestions welcome.

/QUOTE]

You may like the Rincon area, but not too many swimming beaches that time of year (lots of wave action). Hiking in Guajataca forest. Some waterfalls in the area.

Guanica area puts you closer to Toro Negro forest. Some hiking there and waterfalls.

I don't think there is too much east of Ponce that is too interesting.... I haven't explored that area too much, but have yet to be impressed.

Culebra or Vieques are good for beaches/snorkeling. But not too much else. Vieques has a bit more exploring, but not much. Both laid back islands, Culebra more laid back. Good places to just relax.

Archived