Nassau question, not on a cruise

akcruz

Yes I know this is a cruise board, but haven't found another one as good as this for land based trips and with so much knowledge of Nassau I've been looking for tips here.

My DD (19) and I will be staying at Atlantis for a few days in June (girls bonding weekend :D). Our first thought was not Atlantis, but got a great deal so booked it. What other things are there to do in the area? We aren't looking to do a whole lot, mainly hang by the pool and relax, but don't want to miss out on other stuff as well. Any suggestions on places to eat close by or a short drive away? I don't want to eat at Atlantis all meals. Also, does anyone know if there is someplace I can get some soda or water to bring to the room?

Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Yes I know this is a cruise board, but haven't found another one as good as this for land based trips and with so much knowledge of Nassau I've been looking for tips here.

My DD (19) and I will be staying at Atlantis for a few days in June (girls bonding weekend :D). Our first thought was not Atlantis, but got a great deal so booked it. What other things are there to do in the area? We aren't looking to do a whole lot, mainly hang by the pool and relax, but don't want to miss out on other stuff as well. Any suggestions on places to eat close by or a short drive away? I don't want to eat at Atlantis all meals. Also, does anyone know if there is someplace I can get some soda or water to bring to the room?

Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Thanks

It's best to escape the compound and discover the culture of the island you are visiting. There's plenty to do. There's forts and historic buildings to tour, a small zoo, great shopping and authentic food.

For great local food and a little culture and music, visit the fish fry at Arawak Cay. Theres local music on the weekends in the evenings.. and the best food you'll taste while in the bahamas.. Try goldies, Seafood Haven or oh andros..

there's also private islands such as blackbeards cay, pearl island, rose island and blue lagoon island.. do a searching... you'll find enough to do for a month.

Have you tried Trip Advisor? If you go to the forum sections, you can get tons of answers to your questions. I use that for my non-cruise vacations.

I would suggest a snorkel tour or catamaran tour. The water is so beautiful in the Bahamas. You can also go into town and take a walking tour of the main historic areas and fort. I second the suggestion for the Fish Fry for great local food and atmosphere - fresh conch salad, yummy. The Cloisters are located on Paradise Island so you could walk there from Atlantis. I haven't been there yet but hope to get there sometime. That would be a nice photo op.

Duh, why didn't I think of Trip Advisor :eek:. I go there to check out hotels. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, any more?? I know there is tons to do but we only have a few days and want to relax some. What are the not to be missed things?

• 2 weeks later...

We (DH & I) stayed at Atlantis last Oct for 5 days with his company trip. Honestly, we spent most of our time by the pools and using the water park. It's just very relaxing and some pool areas are more secluded and quiet than others. One day we went into Nassau just to shop and walk around. But my favorite thing we did was the Dolphin encounter at Atlantis.

Archived