new prohibited item list

smd1234

"Handcuffs" ~ LOL I bet they will have a nice little collection of these on each cruise.

"Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes" ~ boy this would have been helpful when these were a hot topic on here back when I first started cruising. I haven't seen any on board lately though.

"Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)" I've been bringing a small clothing steamer with me for the last 6 cruises but I haven't used it on the last 2. I wasn't planning on bringing it again so this confirms that for me.

I actually applaud Carnival for stepping up and realizing the inconsistencies were creating mass confusion. This new list shows that they have taken the concerns of their customers into mind when implementing changes. Although I do not use anything listed except my own hairdryer, I'm glad to see they have made provisions for those that need fans etc.

Thank you Host Mach for the inside connect you provide between Carnival powers and this board. You are a valuable asset to those of us that utilize this board. I have yet to see anyone make the efforts you do to ensure the voices of those on this board are heard. I look forward to one day sailing with one of your groups :)

I actually applaud Carnival for stepping up and realizing the inconsistencies were creating mass confusion. This new list shows that they have taken the concerns of their customers into mind when implementing changes. Although I do not use anything listed except my own hairdryer I'm glad to see they have made provisions for those that need fans etc.

Phase II will be getting this information out to the field in a clear and swift manner.

I don't want to run into any problems at the "sharp end" tomorrow.

These prohibited items threads are about as interesting as listening to my uncle Thurston talk about his chronic ear infections.

Then why do you subject yourself to them? :confused:

Just sayin ...

Then why do you subject yourself to them? :confused:

Just sayin ...

Thats what I have been asking myself. Perhaps because they are every third thread lately?

By the by, your signature.....BEST SIGNATURE EVER.

These prohibited items threads are about as interesting as listening to my uncle Thurston talk about his chronic ear infections.

For the love of Mary why do you even bother reading them? I find them interesting and love the humor that inevitably makes it way into the thread. The posts that are mundane are the ones like yours. :rolleyes:

Phase II will be getting this information out to the field in a clear and swift manner.

I don't want to run into any problems at the "sharp end" tomorrow.

Perhaps you could print out several lists and put them in top of your items in your suitcase? Of course make sure that's not the suitcase with your smuggled booze lol

Thats what I have been asking myself. Perhaps because they are every third thread lately?

By the by, your signature.....BEST SIGNATURE EVER.

I suspect that some of the over the top flaming I've received lately was not because of the content of my post but because my sig hit too close to home.

But, since I have sigs turned off I have no way of knowing.

For the love of Mary why do you even bother reading them? I find them interesting and love the humor that inevitably makes it way into the thread. The posts that are mundane are the ones like yours. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could print out several lists and put them in top of your items in your suitcase? Of course make sure that's not the suitcase with your smuggled booze lol

Your Mundane! Your Mundane!

I suspect that some of the over the top flaming I've received lately was not because of the content of my post but because my sig hit too close to home.

But, since I have sigs turned off I have no way of knowing.

Eh, either way I like it. As long as there is oxygen, people will always flame for something.

How's ol' Thurston doing these days? I thought you and him weren't on talking terms.

Meredisney - Yes, that sound right. Most all of them now days have a LOT more watts than 700! Who could dry their hair with a mere 700 watt dryer - NOT ME! Well, I'm still taking mine (wasn't that expensive to begin with), and if they take it, oh well! I just don't like the fact that they are going to "determine" if it is old, ect! Doesn't seem to be any "clear" guidelines, which leaves it wide open! Oh well, guess we will just have to see how it goes!

Sue

I completely agree. 700 watts is not nearly powerful enough. Most hairdryers these days are 1875 watts - a far cry from 700. This is a problem.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/112166/577770.aspx

AHHHHH!

No more clothes steamers and maybe you can take your hair straightener. sounds like they can pick and choose where they enforce the rules

WISHY WASHY!

IMO curling/flat irons are more a risk than clothes steamers.

but at least their trying to make things as easy as they can. you can bring the curling/flat irons and power cords as long as they are in GOOD shape.

personally, i will bring a copy of the list in case they would want to take it. lol.. the only thing i need is the hairdryer, tho i think the wattage is a bit small for what they are allowing. 750 is your basic and the general is 1500. they should change that.

I completely agree. 700 watts is not nearly powerful enough. Most hairdryers these days are 1875 watts - a far cry from 700. This is a problem.

Maybe Carnival is trying to protect the delicate hair of the ladies. Isnt a lower wattage/heat better for hair anyway?

(yes I was snickering the whole time I typed that)

Do the suites have hairdryers on the Ecstasy?

Nope. None of the rooms on Ecstasy have hairdryers. Pack your own or you'll save LOTs of money on pictures like I did.:)

I don't know about the 11s (or whatever category they are now), but the OS/ES cabins on the Ecstasy do in fact have hair dryers. However, they're horrible, it's the wall mount one found on Destiny/Victory class. Bring your own!

Considering that is more draw then the average household circuit can handle*, 1875 sounds more like "marketing" then the actual amount of electricity consumed.

* 15 Amps X 110 volts = 1650 Watts.

Considering that is more draw then the average household circuit can handle*, 1875 sounds more like "marketing" then the actual amount of electricity consumed.

* 15 Amps X 110 volts = 1650 Watts.

Most houses built in the last 20 years have 20 amp circuits in the bathrooms and kitchens.

Lets just be happy we have a list.Just no dollar store power strips and fans and duct taped curling irons.Take your white noise machines and sleep well.

Make a copy of the list to take with you.

Seriously. It gets old after awhile.....LOL. I think a lot of folk overreact about this "white noise" and "fan" thing and being unable to sleep without them. Can you imagine having to travel with people like that?

Most houses built in the last 20 years have 20 amp circuits in the bathrooms and kitchens.

You're correct. However, on most cruiseships, cabins SHARE circuits. Each cabin does not have it's own dedicated circuit. Therefore, if 2 guests are blow drying their hair at the same time, the circuits going to become overload and either blow the breaker or cause severe weakining of the circuit itself. Plus, each time a circuit breaker trips, it weakens it's capability.

The best solution is to purchase a blow dryer that is universal voltage. When on the ship, use the 220 outlet and you've got that circuit all to yourself (99%) of the time anyway.

To easily cover this I would think if you bought a power strip new and kept it in its original wrapping til you borded they couldnt really say anything?

If it was over the limited 700 watts, it's gone. LOTS and LOTS of wiggle room here for Carnival.

I still see people being at the mercy of some screener on embarkation day. I lost my extension cord that was brand new with a breaker in Oct at San Juan. It was one of the new ones that looked like an octopus and had a 3 foot cord and 5 outlets (obviously brand new although not in it's package) When I protested, they brought it to a supervisor and they said no too. At that time, they didn't say they would keep it until the end of the cruise, they told me to return to the Sheraton where they have a "mail service" to send it home or throw it out. They then let me off the ship to solve this problem. Because it was rather expensive, and I didn't want to throw it out, my choices were limited. The Sheraton did have Fed Ex and they gave me the envelope (I would have to fill out the form and have someone there to receive it at home (nobody is home, I was there!)I also had to put my credit card number on the outside of the form for payment. It was a Sunday so no regular mail. I got upset and just told them, forget, here's an extension cord for someone. Up steps the bellman who graciously said he would keep it in his locker and I could come back and pick it up. (He got a very generous tip when we returned) I then returned to the ship where my husband was wondering what happened to me because I got called down the the naughty room and I disappeared for an hour. When I returned, I called them and they said they SHOULD HAVE just kept for the cruise and returned it THAT WAS THEIR POLICY.

That didn't help me when I was already on the ship and instead of relaxing I am running around Old San Juan solving the problem of a cord that was purchased because it was better than the one I took on 10 prior cruises with Carnival over the last 3 years.

To me, you will still be the victim of some overzealous screener on embarkation day which almost always a weekend where the "powers to be" in Miami are off. Yes you have the "satisfaction" of being told a week after you return that they shouldn't of done that. Hopefully this policy will stop screener abuse when you get on the ship. I would have been perfectly satisfied (although not happy) if they didn't say I had to throw it out because it was a danger to the ship, and then show me the garbage can or the boarding ramp to get off the ship to fix this problem.

Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

Put the hair dryer and extension cord in a gift box and if they ask for it to be opened tell them you brought it to give to your wife for her birthday on the cruise to use at home....lol

Archived