class destintion of NCl

cheggy

While there are a few different classes of ships, with different deck plans, the cabins are very similar in layout. The cabins are not exactly the same size, but similar in layout...

The new Epic will have a slightly different layout than the other cabins on other ships, especially the Epic's balcony cabins.

I agree pretty much with what Don has said; the Spirit is a little different, in fact very different in many ways. It was originally built for the Asian population. The Sun and Sky were purchased from Costa, but one was further along in being built so they are not exactly alike..The Star and Dawn are sister ships and all the newer ones, since the Jewel are part of the Jewel class. They are almost identical. Now, the Epic will be totally new in design and in many other ways.

Nita

What makes it a "Jewel Class"? size?:confused:

The Jewel was the first of that design...others that follow in the same design are members of the same class which gets its name from the name of the first vessel in that class.

Spirit has a sister ship with Star Cruises, the Superstar Virgo.

Sky and Sun are near sister ships, the Sun being newer has mini suites the Sky doesn't have and a few other changes. Many of the decks are similar.

The Star and Dawn are sister ships.

The Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Gem are sister ships.

The Pride of America does not have any sister ships.

The new huge Epic does not have any sister ships, being brand new.

None of the ships of NCL's fleet is over twelve years in age, all mostly new to fairly new ships. One ship has two decks of balconies, the others three decks, and the new huge Epic has more decks...

Offhand, not with exact numbers, the Spirit, Sky, Sun, and Pride of America are around 80k tons, the Star, Dawn, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Gem are around 90k tons, and the Epic is near 150k tons...

one more difference: the Dawn and Star do not have the "great outdoors" aft outdoor eating area, which, for me, is a make-or-break amenity. While I've been on the Dawn twice, I won't go on her again if I can help it, just for this reason.

one more difference: the Dawn and Star do not have the "great outdoors" aft outdoor eating area, which, for me, is a make-or-break amenity. While I've been on the Dawn twice, I won't go on her again if I can help it, just for this reason.

Are you saying the Dawn doesn't have any outdoor eating areas :confused:

Am I correct in that the Jewel class ships have the Courtyard Villas and it's perks, that the others, excluding the Epic, do not. The great outdoors cafe is also included in the Jewel class only.

Now the Epic with the extensive number of Courtyard villas, etc. have an exclusive area for sunning, swimming and several eateries, not open to the other pax. Is that right?

My question is what do we mean by "class destintion"...types of ships, or separation of passangers?

No, that's not true. The Dawn doesn't have an AFT outdoor eating area. There are plenty of places to eat on the Dawn, just mostly mid-ship.

Mostly around the pool deck, Bimini Bar and on deck 6 outside the Blue Lagoon (a very pleasant place on a quiet sea day).

[quote name=EileenN;

My question is what do we mean by "class destintion"...types of ships' date=' or separation of passangers?[/quote]

I was referring to ship destintion. How would they go about passanger seperation? Hope it can't be done.:D Jewel class means what? that's all. Thanks.:)

I was referring to ship destintion. How would they go about passanger seperation? Hope it can't be done.:D Jewel class means what? that's all. Thanks.:)

Not sure what you are asking here, "How would they go about passanger seperation?"

Here's a chart for the ships.

CLASS SHIP YEAR LENGTH GUESTS TONS CREW

Epic Norwegian Epic 2010 1068 4900 153000 1730

Jewel Norwegian Gem 2007 971 2807 92502 1010

Jewel Norwegian Pearl 2006 971 2807 93000 1154

Jewel Norwegian Jade 2006 971 2816 92000 1100

Other Pride of America 2005 921 2440 81000 800

Jewel Norwegian Jewel 2005 971 2846 92000 1100

Dawn Norwegian Dawn 2002 965 2807 92250 1010

Dawn Norwegian Star 2001 971 2800 91740 1084

Sun Norwegian Sun 2000 848 2350 78309 847

Sun Norwegian Sky 1999 848 2350 77104 847

Other Norwegian Spirit 1998 881 2800 75338 1125

Not sure what you are asking here, "How would they go about passanger seperation?"

I believe that would be a british thing. Prince, Princess, Lords ,Dukes, Duchess... Classification of people born to their station in society:eek::D.

Here's a chart for the ships.

CLASS SHIP YEAR LENGTH GUESTS TONS CREW

Epic Norwegian Epic 2010 1068 4900 153000 1730

Jewel Norwegian Gem 2007 971 2807 92502 1010

Jewel Norwegian Pearl 2006 971 2807 93000 1154

Jewel Norwegian Jade 2006 971 2816 92000 1100

Other Pride of America 2005 921 2440 81000 800

Jewel Norwegian Jewel 2005 971 2846 92000 1100

Dawn Norwegian Dawn 2002 965 2807 92250 1010

Dawn Norwegian Star 2001 971 2800 91740 1084

Sun Norwegian Sun 2000 848 2350 78309 847

Sun Norwegian Sky 1999 848 2350 77104 847

Other Norwegian Spirit 1998 881 2800 75338 1125

Great to see the comparison you typed.

Jewel Class refers to the size and layout of the ships all styled the same. You can see that the Gem and the Jewel and a few others are the same size.

Having been on the Gem and the Jewel, the seemed very full and congested and we much preferred the Spirit and the Dawn. Could be our sailings were just overbooked but won't try them again. The Spirit was very beautiful and the Dawn designed with a better pool deck layout and kids pool was on another deck completely.

I LOVE the Great Outdoors. Make or break for me as well. Especially on the cruise to Alaska this time, they BBQ'd outside. LOVED it YUM! so...is there a huge spa like the Pearl? THAT would be make or break as well.

Your question was answered in post #5- it's the Jewel Class because the Jewel was the first ship of that design built.

Class of a ship has more to do with equipment in areas you never see than the public areas you do. Propulsion diesels and motors, generators and electrical switchboards, fresh water and sewage plants, refrigerators, freezers, and food handling spaces, etc.

The first class of ships in NCL's fleet today is the Victoria class initially designed for Costa Cruises. Of the three ships in this class, NCL owns the latter two, the Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun.

Costa Victoria looks very similar to the Norwegian ships. Initially without any balcony cabins, balconies were added later in much the same pattern as on the Sky, which had balconies upon christening.

CostaVictoria02.jpg

The Norwegian Sky and Sun were the last ships purchased before Star Cruises took 100% control of NCL in 2000. NCL had another option to order a near identical sister of the Norwegian Sun, but never took advantage of that option.

After Star Cruises bought NCL in 2000, Star's next two ordered ships were christen into NCL's fleet instead of their own, and instead of ordering another near identical Sun. That class is called the Star class with the Norwegian Star and Norwegian Dawn being near identical sisters. NCL assumed the liens of these new ships instead of Star. A left over sign that indicates the Star and Dawn were initially ordered for Star Cruises is the lack of the number 4 in all the cabin numbers (except the cabins on Deck 4, and even then 4 only exists as the first number).

3941685832_31180890ed.jpg

The next ship purchased by NCL was the half built Pride of America from a Mississippi shipyard. Hawaiian American cruises went bankrupted almost immediately after 9-11-01, which allowed NCL to buy it very cheap. NCL completed construction of the ship in a German shipyard, the same shipyard that completed building the Sky and Sun. This sort of compensated that shipyard for the near identical Sun that NCL never ordered. NCL also purchased steel from the Mississippi shipyard initially earmarked for a sister of the Pride of America that was never built. That extra steel also made its way to Germany, much of it used to stretch the Pride of America.

ncl_pride_america.jpg

The next ship purchased by NCL was the Norwegian Spirit (ex-Superstar Leo) from Star Cruises. The Superstar Virgo is the sister of the Norwegian Spirit and still sails for Star Cruises. The Pride of America was flooded in the shipyard dock in January 2004, which delayed its completion by a full year. NCL had already booked Hawaiian cruises for 2004, and quickly designated the then Sky, renamed as the Pride of Aloha, to replace the Pride of America. NCL then leased, then later bought the Superstar Leo (now called the Norwegian Spirit) from Star to replace the Sky. The Norwegian Spirit also lacks the number 4 in cabin numbers (except those on Deck 4) just like the Star and Dawn.

SuperStarVirgo03.jpg

Let's review:

Three ships originally ordered for Star Cruises sails in the NCL fleet today.

Two ships originally ordered for Costa Cruises sails in the NCL fleet today.

One ship originally ordered for Hawaiian America sails in the NCLA fleet today.

That's a total of six ships.....

The last two ship classes were ordered specifically for NCL. The Jewel class consists of the Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Jade (ex-Pride of Hawaii), Norwegian Pearl, and Norwegian Gem. They are modified and updated Star class ships, but are considered a new class for multiple reasons. The largest change is they include the Courtyard Villa complex on top. The last ship, the Norwegian Gem, was initially order from Akers as a brand new class, but NCL later cancelled that order and bought another Jewel class ship from Meyerwerft instead.

NorwegianJade_080614-210.jpg

The last is the new and much larger Norwegian Epic. NCL initially ordered a second ship, but due to the poor economy the second ship was cancelled. Whether NCL ever buys a second ship, or another of an entirely new design, only the future knows. As I write this response, only 5 ships in NCL's fleet were initially ordered specifically for NCL. That being the four ships in the Jewel class, and the new Epic.

Why do none of the newer ships look very sleek? They look like bathtubs!, all short and stubby.

I loved looking at the picutres though, it really does show how different cruise lines envision the super-structure. I really like the way the Virgo looks. It seems to be a bit more streamlined.

Why do none of the newer ships look very sleek? They look like bathtubs!, all short and stubby. I really like the way the Virgo (Spirit's sister) looks. It seems to be a bit more streamlined.

I also like the Virgo and Spirit more streamlined look. I think the biggest reason they look more streamlined is caused by so much open decks, especially aft. 10 years ago, with the new azipod technology that reduced vibrations significantly, all the cruise lines started placing as many revenue producing aft facing balcony and suite cabins possible to maximize profits. Therefore the stern of the ship was blocked off, making the stern appear stubby.

Just about with every new ship design, more and more non-revenue public areas are disappearing. First to go were the open decks, including wrap around promenade decks. Second to go were the main deck to lido deck atriums. Inside observations rooms are disappearing today in favor of spa suites and cabins. If the cruise lines had their way, there wouldn't be any non revenue generating public spaces left aboard cruise ships.

A left over sign that indicates the Star and Dawn were initially ordered for Star Cruises is the lack of the number 4 in all the cabin numbers (except the cabins on Deck 4, and even then 4 only exists as the first number).

I'd never heard this before, but I haven't sailed on any former Star ship (except the Pride of Aloha/Sky, and it was my first cruise, so I didn't think to notice such things). Anyone know how this quirk came into being? Was the owner of Star cruises 4-phobic?

--Michael

Archived