Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BklynBoy8

Why Should I Consider Trying A Celebrity Cruiseship...

Dear pumpkin,

Thank you fellow Cunarder. But I do see you favor X in your past cruising history.

I See! Celebrity always has an itinerary that works with us, cunard really does not, most of the time. But Cunard only has 2 ships, while Celebrity has 10 currently. However we plan to Go on cunard sometime within the next few years, could be soon, or far away. I truly respect both lines! You can't go wrong with either however!!:)

Brooklyn Boy....

I've not been on Cunard but have been on other lux cruises.

If a lux cruiser were to ask me which line to take, IF they were to use a mass-market "big ship" line, I'd say Celebrity.

BUT, you gotta be ready for some subtle differences. Food quality, service, crowds, lines, etc. It just won't be as smooth as you might be used to. Also, all Ships Are NOT created equal.

If you like, please see 2 reviews in my signature for SUMMIT and MERCURY. Summit was a solid "good" while Mercury is GREAT. If you were going on Mercury, I'd say "do it, you can't go wrong". On Summit I'd say "do it, but roll with the punches a little".

Have a nice trip.

Interesting observation. We just got off of the Mercury. Our first X after many Royal's. We had been told over and over how much better the food would be. Well, not so much. Don't get me wrong, it was a great cruise and the staff is great. On some nights the food was excellent, but there were a couple of "bombs". The lamb shank the first night for instance. Yes, I have already booked another X cruise, so obviously, on ballance, it was great. Oh, btw, I was not the only one complaining about the lamb shank. They gave us Elite status and even though the lounge was only 2 hours instead of 4 like Royal, I liked it much better. The service was better and there was much more room. I have never seen a ship go overboard on cleanliness like this one did. Oh, and they still have chocolates on the pillows, but sadly we never had a towel monkey:rolleyes:

Interesting observation. We just got off of the Mercury. Our first X after many Royal's. We had been told over and over how much better the food would be. Well, not so much. Don't get me wrong, it was a great cruise and the staff is great. On some nights the food was excellent, but there were a couple of "bombs". The lamb shank the first night for instance. Yes, I have already booked another X cruise, so obviously, on ballance, it was great. Oh, btw, I was not the only one complaining about the lamb shank. They gave us Elite status and even though the lounge was only 2 hours instead of 4 like Royal, I liked it much better. The service was better and there was much more room. I have never seen a ship go overboard on cleanliness like this one did. Oh, and they still have chocolates on the pillows, but sadly we never had a towel monkey:rolleyes:

Sorry your first impression at dinner time was not what you expected.

But like I said, the first nights are rough on the passengers and staff settling in. Seatings are wrong, everyone wants to start to pour out the bottles of wine, everyone rushing around here and there.

But as you said, it was a good cruise and you are already booked on another cruise. GOOD SIGN!

We were delighted with every cruise's first night on the Qx Mary 2. But the first night dinner on the HAL Noordam did tell us what we were soon to expect on most of the nights dinners. Disappointing with a Big D.

Thank you for the comments.