Queen Mary 2 to dock in Manhattan not Red Hook

qm2

My travel agent just informed me that the QM2 will be docked in Midtown, Manhattan on Friday May 21st, not Red Hook, Brooklyn. There was some kind of accident in Red Hook with another ship, so I guess the terminal is not available at this time.

If I find anything else out I will post it here.

My travel agent just informed me that the QM2 will be docked in Midtown, Manhattan on Friday May 21st, not Red Hook, Brooklyn. There was some kind of accident in Red Hook with another ship, so I guess the terminal is not available at this time.

If I find anything else out I will post it here.

++++++++

One of the two gangways was damaged during a Caribbean Princess docking, and it will a couple of months (estimate) before Queen Mary 2 can return there. However, Cariibbean P will continue to use Red Hook.

++++++++

One of the two gangways was damaged during a Caribbean Princess docking, and it will a couple of months (estimate) before Queen Mary 2 can return there. However, Cariibbean P will continue to use Red Hook.

Yes, supposedly the Caribbean Princess was docked or docking during a recent wind storm with 40+ mph winds; one gust of wind hit the Caribbean Princess causing her to list hard to Port putting pressure on the gangway and damaging it.

Commodore Warner just confirmed this on the noon announcement (I am on board QM2). Docking will still be at 6:30am, but those who wish to rise early will have the unusual sight of QM2 proceeding up the Hudson to Pier 90 at 50th street and Twenfth avenue, which the QE2 used to use. Apparently some ship managed to take out both jetways in Brooklyn.

I was delighted when I heard the noon announcement...makes it so much easier for us arriving in Manhattan rather than Red Hook. Just came here to share the news and see that it's already been posted.

I just talked to Cunard and asked the agent to confirm that the ship was docking in Manhattan and not Red Hook on Friday and he replied, "The Queen Mary 2 always docks in Red Hook sir, she is too big for the Manhattan pier. I told him I had heard otherwise and asked if he could check. After being on hold for about 5 minutes he returned and confirmed that the ship will be docking at Pier 90, West 50th Street and 12th Avenue. He said we would probably receive an email from Cunard sometime today to confirm all this. We are now scrambling to change our hotel and dinner reservations from Brooklyn to Manhattan!!

Too bad that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal won't stay out of commission for the rest of the year so that when I board the QM2 next November 1st the QM2 would be docked at Manhattan's West Side Piers instead of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.I can drive from my house in Northern New Jersey to the Manhattan West Side Piers in about 40 minutes if there is no traffic.To drive from my house to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal add about another 30-40 minutes of travel time. Regards,Jerry

Yes, supposedly the Caribbean Princess was docked or docking during a recent wind storm with 40+ mph winds; one gust of wind hit the Caribbean Princess causing her to list hard to Port putting pressure on the gangway and damaging it.

I was watching the ship dock that morning from the edge of the parking lot and it definately was not listing! The wind was blowing very hard. I could not see anythging go amiss but it did hot the gangway and damaged it. I was picking frends up and they did not mention any listing either.

Apparently some ship managed to take out both jetways in Brooklyn.

Only one of them was damaged; they used the other one to disembark the Caribbean Princess.

I was watching the ship dock that morning from the edge of the parking lot and it definately was not listing! The wind was blowing very hard. I could not see anythging go amiss but it did hot the gangway and damaged it. I was picking frends up and they did not mention any listing either.

Only one of them was damaged; they used the other one to disembark the Caribbean Princess.

I am reporting what my Dad saw on the docks that morning as he works there.... it wasnt that the ship was sitting there with a list for a long period (maybe movement is a better term than list) .. it was a temporary movement of the ship and yes only 1 of the 2 were damaged.

That's very interesting news. I just checked cunard.com and I didn't see any kind of announcement about this change which I found surprising.

Anyway, for those arriving in NY on Friday, the current weather forecast is for a beautiful sunny day, temperature in the 80's F. Enjoy that special sail up the Hudson:)

Interesting that the various excuses given for using the decidedly

unglamorous Brooklyn terminal, inadequate dredging, ship too long for

the pier - are immediately forgotten about when there is a problem and

QM2 can go without issues to Pier 90 like her predecessors.

I'd like to see Carnival Corp. utilize Brooklyn for the Carnival and Princess

departures and allow QM2 to remain in Manhattan.

Certainly far more in keeping with the "great history of Cunard" they try so

hard to promote. But then again, they also have the Queen taking 7 days

to cross now too...................

Do we have any confirmation from Cunard about this? We will be on the TA June 7th, and it would be wonderful if we could leave from Manhattan.

I just talked to Cunard and asked the agent to confirm that the ship was docking in Manhattan and not Red Hook on Friday and he replied, "The Queen Mary 2 always docks in Red Hook sir, she is too big for the Manhattan pier. I told him I had heard otherwise and asked if he could check. After being on hold for about 5 minutes he returned and confirmed that the ship will be docking at Pier 90, West 50th Street and 12th Avenue. He said we would probably receive an email from Cunard sometime today to confirm all this. We are now scrambling to change our hotel and dinner reservations from Brooklyn to Manhattan!!

Wow, that's impressive customer service :eek:

BTW, here's a website with information about Pier 90 in Manhattan:

http://www.nyc.com/arts__attractions/pier_90_pier_92_and_pier_93.1637/editorial_review.aspx

and the Offical NY Cruise terminal site is here:

http://www.nycruise.com/histNYC.html

Salacia

Interesting that the various excuses given for using the decidedly

unglamorous Brooklyn terminal, inadequate dredging, ship too long for

the pier - are immediately forgotten about when there is a problem and

QM2 can go without issues to Pier 90 like her predecessors.

I'd like to see Carnival Corp. utilize Brooklyn for the Carnival and Princess

departures and allow QM2 to remain in Manhattan.

Certainly far more in keeping with the "great history of Cunard" they try so

hard to promote. But then again, they also have the Queen taking 7 days

to cross now too...................

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Cunard's decision to leave Manhattan, but the Coast Guard's. QM2 is too long for the pier, creating a bit of an obstruction on the river, and requiring her to keep engines running to keep her in place.

Do we have any confirmation from Cunard about this? We will be on the TA June 7th, and it would be wonderful if we could leave from Manhattan.

I have just received a phone call from Cunard confirming that QM2 will leave from Manhatten for the Friday 21st May crossing. This is our 7th cruise/crossing - we have never sailed from Manhatten always Red Hook so this will make a nice change.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Cunard's decision to leave Manhattan, but the Coast Guard's. QM2 is too long for the pier, creating a bit of an obstruction on the river, and requiring her to keep engines running to keep her in place.

Seachase, yes, that is my understanding too. I believe QM2 juts out almost 140 feet from the end of the pier. I didn't know she had to keep her engines running...that must burn a lot of fuel!

Fleet Week in NYC starts on May 26, so it's a good thing this docking problem isn't going to coincide with all those additional ships coming into NY Harbor. :eek:

BTW, for those interested in visiting various ships during Fleet Week, additional information is available here: http://gonyc.about.com/od/holidays/p/fleetweek.htm

Cheers,

Salacia

It is similar to what happened to QM2 in Zeebrugge, Belgium (7/2009) ... but QM2 wasnt as lucky as Caribbean Princess... QM2 actually hit the pier at that time. Those onboard reported clearly feeling movement of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036405&highlight=hits

I was on board and it almost knocked me off my feet.

The wind hit broard side on the starboard side. QM2 broke her mooring ropes at the front causing the front to move away for the dock and the stern to hit the dock. Next time you see QM2 have a look at the starboard side of the stern and you can still see the dent.

We have also just received a phone call from Cunard confirming that QM2 will leave from Manhattan for the Friday 21st May crossing. Pier 88/90 at West 50th Street.

I was just strolling the west side this morning wishing the QM2 was still docking at the west side piers. And lo behold she will be here in a few short days. I shall be up bright and early to watch her glide up the Hudson River.

Now, if I could just get envision the correct lottery numbers for the mega millions I could start planning for the World Cruise..:rolleyes:

Jonathan

I was just strolling the west side this morning wishing the QM2 was still docking at the west side piers. And lo behold she will be here in a few short days. I shall be up bright and early to watch her glide up the Hudson River.

Now, if I could just get envision the correct lottery numbers for the mega millions I could start planning for the World Cruise..:rolleyes:

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

You lucky dog. After going to Redhook many times to see the QM2 while in port and it's now your turn to have her on the west side.

Enjoy her while she is there. But hope Redhook is repaired in the future.

Hi Jonathan,

You lucky dog. After going to Redhook many times to see the QM2 while in port and it's now your turn to have her on the west side.

Enjoy her while she is there. But hope Redhook is repaired in the future.

Just thinking of you Ed. Hope they take their sweet time fixing those gangways. We'll take good care of QM2 over here at the west side cruise ship terminal.

What a site it will be on July 1 to see QM2 and the NCL Epic berthed side by side, a true ocean liner and a...right. :eek:

Jonathan

Salacia--thanks for all those helpful links!

My pleasure.

By the way, does anybody know how long before QM2 is able to dock in Brooklyn again? When she's in NY, traffic in that area of the West Side Highway barely moves as every car slows to catch a glimpse of the queen. The first time I saw her years ago was when she was docked in Manhattan. The sight was so impressive that all I could do was gasp and say 'holy cow' (or words to that effect) :)

Salacia

I was on board and it almost knocked me off my feet.

The wind hit broard side on the starboard side. QM2 broke her mooring ropes at the front causing the front to move away for the dock and the stern to hit the dock. Next time you see QM2 have a look at the starboard side of the stern and you can still see the dent.

Bridgecam timelapse:

at about 2'10" into the video

a more serious wind-gust incident involving the MSC Fantasia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4M0Z_nbVk

Archived