Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BklynBoy8

Which Ship Do You Like Or Not - Celebrity - Why... Newbie To Celebrity

Hi ALL,

We are thinking of trying Celebrity Line next year.

Since there are a number of ships in the fleet.

Could you please tell me why you LIKE (PRO'S) OR NOT (CON'S) like a particular ship.

Any tips about a particular ship would also be appreciated. Maybe booking a particular part of the ship over another.

Well, now it's your turn to talk...............................

Thank you

Thank you all for the comments on my other thread about Celebrity Line.

If I can get some specific information about the ships themselves we would appreciate it. I know each one is different and has it's likes and dislikes (concerns).

So please share your experiences.

I have only been on two Celebrity ships so far, but love them both, for different reasons.

The Constellation: Stunning and beautiful, and apparently even more so now that she has been Solsticized! This was our first cruise after deciding to "trade-up" from the more mass-market lines, and Celebrity completely won us over. Service was top notch, meaning, personal but not overly so, and the answer was always "absolutely". The size of the ship is great, large enough to have plenty of options but not so large as to be overwhelming, and the passenger/space ratio means public spaces never felt crowded. Of all the ships we have sailed, the Connie is right at the top of the list.

The Mercury: We knew when we booked that she is an older ship with fewer bells and whistles, so we tried to keep our expectations realistic. In short, the Mercury blew us away! The service was every bit as good as on the Connie, and her smaller size gave her a more cozy feel. Celebrity has done a superior job of keeping her in excellent condition and it saddens me to think her time with X may be drawing to a close.

We already have the Connie booked for a second time next Spring, and we would sail the Mercury again in a heartbeat.

Been on Century in 1998, Summit 2005 and Solstice 2010. Loved them all. Con's on Solstice are the lack of any type of promenade deck that you can sit and enjoy the ocean since Lifeboats block any view. That is about the only one I can think of.

We have sailed on all of Celebrity's cruise ships in the fleet (Expedition has a different purpose) except Eclipse which has yet to reach North America.

We have our favourites but it would be nice to know what you are looking for in a shipboard experience.

Mercury is the oldest and smallest of the fleet, so she doesn't have all the amenities of the others. But Mercury has her supporters and those who love her. The M Class ships are nearly identical, and are going through what's referred to here as the "Solstization" of the M Class. They are taking the M Class ships and redoing them to provide a lot of the amenities that are the most popular on the Solstice Class ships. The Solstice Class are larger than the M Class but the way their designed, you really don't have the feeling of a huge ship.

I've been on all Celebrity ships except Eclipse, Century and Equinox and I can tell you that regardless of the class of ship, you find basically the same of everything.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of Celebrity's ships...

I cannot personally compare some of the ships...All of my Celebrity cruises thus far have been on the M-Class: Millennium, Summit and Constellation (I've somehow missed Infinity but with multiple cruises on the others)...My next cruise is on the Eclipse...

I have never been on Mercury or Century...but my sister cruised the Baltic on Century and loved it...and from her reports, her experience was not much different from the M-Class...

Think of Celebrity's ships in three groups:

***The older ships: Mercury and Century... a little older and smaller...some people love the smaller size...both pre-2000 though Century went through a massive remake a few years ago...

***The M-Class...Millennium, Infinity, Summit and Constellation...All pretty much identical...a little over 90,000 gross tons with only 2,000 passengers (outstanding space-to-passenger ratio)

***The Solstice Class: Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette (Silhouette is coming soon)...these are the largest (122,000 gross tons, 2,850 passengers)...again, all pretty much identical...all built 2008 through now...some new features like the lawn up top, more specialty restaurants...

All of Celebrity's fleet are less crowded than most ships on most other lines...more space, fewer passengers...Compare Princess' typical 113,000 gross ton ship with well over 3,000 passengers and we were on a 110,000 gross ton Carnival ship with close to 4,000!

Food and service is great throughout the line...

Unlike the Royal Caribbean ships where a lot of space has been given to activities: Rock Climbing, Ice Skating, Surfing, etc., the Celebrity ships are generally roomier and more spacious feeling with space given instead to very ample bars and lounges...think of something akin to a luxury hotel at sea...

I would not worry so much over which ship you chose...look more to the itinerary...that should help choose the ship for you...But, if being on the newest and most modern ship is important to you, choose a Solstice-class...though the M-Class are all still fairly new, modern and well-designed...

If you want a smaller, quieter atmosphere and don't mind an older ship, the Mercury and Century are both still pretty nice...though, again, I couldn't say first hand...I'm one of those new, big ship guys...I'm doing three brand new ships in a row for my next three cruises: Eclipse, Allure of the Seas, Oceania Marina...

M Class Pro/ Space and Celebrity service

C Class. Smallest now in the fleet . Celebrity service.

S class. Newest with the best general cabins in the fleet. (& the best so far in my cruising experience) but ship is too big. Love the grass however :)