Customizing Ramses tour need help

janina

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that most lines are keeping their options open.

""As we're not scheduled to call in this region until May, at this time, we haven't canceled any calls," said Princess spokeswoman Karen Candy. "Any decision we make will be based on the security and safety of our passengers and the advice of our security team, as well as various officials and government entities," she added, echoing a common statement from the lines."

Yes, it's posted on their website on the HOME page; there's a red 'UPDATES'

link and it takes you to that info.

I posted this on our cruise Roll Call thread and you might want to take note:

Hi everyone, I just got off the phone from a customer service agent at RCI to find out what the chances are that RCI may ever change the itinerary back to Egypt if things quit down soon. Here is all of the info I got:

First of all, I was told that RCI COULD change the itinerary back if things quiet down soon. No guarantees, of course, and certainly no timetable.

Secondly, the agents were given notes saying that RCI will be calling affected cruisers to inform them of the change and that they have until February 16 at 6PM to change their plans. Any cancellations or alterations in cruise dates would incur penalties after that time. I had the agent confirm that information twice.

So, if any of you are thinking of changing your cruise to a later date or cancelling altogether, the timetable has been moved up significantly, as far as I was told.

Now, this info came to me from the RCI customer service agent and she would not pass me higher up on the list of the info chain. I know that info at the lowest level can sometimes be unreliable so I would recommend that anyone who is worried should get their information straight from the source in case my agent got it wrong.

Also, if anyone gets either confirmation or additional info, please post it here.

Also, you might want to check the news agencies because it looks like they are saying that the protesters in Egypt may be going home. They are reporting that Mubarak may step down as early as today.

So, RCI may have jumped the gun. Stay tuned ...;)

Edited by havcamwiltravel
Added info

I just got my call from RCI. They said that the itinerary is changed to Istanbul, that I have until Feb. 16 to change anything and that THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER CHANGES IN THE ITINERARY, no matter what changes there are in Egypt.

Too bad, so sad.:mad:

Added title and emphasis

• 2 months later...
So sorry to hear that you may not get to visit Egypt. But, for those who do get to stop there, don't forget about touring Alexandria. It's a beautiful and very interesting city. :)

Not to worry, Binky&Jane, a couple of days after that post, I found an RCI cruise that basically had the same itinerary, minus Alexandria, and was shorter by five days. So, I cancelled the original cruise, booked the seven day cruise and then booked a five-day overland tour that will take me to Cairo and Luxor ... and the whole package - cruise, tour and flights - was going to cost less than the original cruise.

I leave at the beginning of June. Unfortunately, I won't get to Alexandria, but I want to leave that for a return trip in the future. ;)

correction

This past summer, we had the good fortune to take a Holy Land Cruise, with overnight stays in both Egypt and Israel. We arranged for a group to tour Egypt thru Ramses

Tours. Ramses Tours did a magnificent job. Our tour guide picked us up at the port, and immediately started to talk about his country. We stayed overnight at an unbelievable 5 star hotel. Everything was perfect from start to finish. When our first day had ended, our tour guide handed us his cell phone number and said if we have any need at all, we are to call him, no matter what time! He was extremely knowledgeable about every site we saw. We cannot believe how lucky we were

to use Ramses Tours!

Adrienne and Bob

This past summer, we had the good fortune to take a Holy Land Cruise, with overnight stays in both Egypt and Israel. We arranged for a group to tour Egypt thru Ramses

Tours. Ramses Tours did a magnificent job. Our tour guide picked us up at the port, and immediately started to talk about his country. We stayed overnight at an unbelievable 5 star hotel. Everything was perfect from start to finish. When our first day had ended, our tour guide handed us his cell phone number and said if we have any need at all, we are to call him, no matter what time! He was extremely knowledgeable about every site we saw. We cannot believe how lucky we were

to use Ramses Tours!

Adrienne and Bob

• 4 months later...

We have just booked 2 tours with Ramses for November and they have replied promptly answering all our questions. Really looking forward to our tours. I also asked for Karim as our guide as he has had lots of recommendations on these boards.

We have just booked 2 tours with Ramses for November and they have replied promptly answering all our questions. Really looking forward to our tours. I also asked for Karim as our guide as he has had lots of recommendations on these boards.

I too have booked Karim for 22/23 Oct from Ncl Jade staying at the Mena House,i will post a tour review on return .

I like the pick your guide part of booking process.

We too used rameses on our visit in May this year and I endorse all the good reports. Like all these ancient places the hard bit is deciding what to miss.

Our guide was Mohammed and our driver was Mahmoud and they were first class, (you won't believe the traffic) and although we had previously decided what we were going to do we were able to take advantage of his local knowledge to get the best out of the visit.

If you have a personal guide you don't need any local currency as he will pay for anything you want and negotiate the correct price. Just settle up in Dollars at the end.

I am sure that those of you staying at the Mena House will be as delighted as we were. The prices seemed a little high compared to elsewhere in Egypt but this is truly a 5 star hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to ask any of you that took the overnight with Ramses about what time did you reach your hotel in the evening? I am hoping to stay at the Oberoi Mena House and it says we need reservations for the Indian restaurant for dinner? We are really looking forward to staying there and just soaking it all in. Especially after the great day I know we are going to have on the tour with Ramses after reading all the great reviews.

Thank you!

I just wanted to ask any of you that took the overnight with Ramses about what time did you reach your hotel in the evening? I am hoping to stay at the Oberoi Mena House and it says we need reservations for the Indian restaurant for dinner? We are really looking forward to staying there and just soaking it all in. Especially after the great day I know we are going to have on the tour with Ramses after reading all the great reviews.

Thank you!

On the first part of your question, I'm sorry I don't know for sure what time Ramses will get you back to the Mena House but I can tell you that many clients get back to the Hotel and then go out to the Sound & Light Show or Nile cruise. So, I presume that would be somewhere before 7pm. However, as you are choosing the itinerary with Ramses, you can be the one to decide on the time.

The Moghul Room doesn't open until 7pm, and they close at 11pm. When we were there in June, there were no more than 4 or 5 tables occupied simply because the tourists had not yet begun to go back to Egypt in numbers but, no matter, you would be wise to make a reservation because it is one of the best restaurants in Cairo.

• 1 month later...

We had a marvelous trip with your tour guide Mohammed Doma. The itinerary was great and was very knowledgable and Mohammed entertaining. He Took great care of us and our WAS Always Concerned with safety and Enjoyment. I would highly recommend your tour company and Mohammed Doma as a guide.

We took a one day excursion with Ramses.

I was concerned about getting back on time, about the van breaking down, about missing the ship, etc. All the things the Shore Ex people on the ship stress so you will pay them $250 instead of $75 each with Ramses.

Well, there was no reason to worry. We got back before for 'The Boat People', as one of my friends called them, saw more things and had more fun.

The group was 11 people in a nice van with a knowledgeable guide and excellent driver. The driver was amazing.

We used Ramses because others on CC had recommended them for both the one day and the overnight. You would do well to work with them.

Communication was clear and fast. When I had concerns about various issues, they were addressed.

I highly recommended Ramses.

Miriam

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to our next cruise! :)

We're working with Ahmed from Ramses Tours (ramsestours <dot> com) on an overnight in Cairo. I think we have everything locked down - from our camel ride in Sakkarra & 4x4'ing in the desert to visiting Memphis (day 1), Cairo/Giza (day 1) and Alexandria (day 2).

I need people's opinion on Dahshur... If we are short on time, would people suggest skipping Memphis and seeing Dahshur? Just curious. I would love to see both, but don't want to feel rushed. So we're down to Ramses statue & alabaster sphinx vs. Red Pyramid.

Edited by RescuedDogLover

Looking forward to our next cruise! :)

We're working with Ahmed from Ramses Tours (ramsestours <dot> com) on an overnight in Cairo. I think we have everything locked down - from our camel ride in Sakkarra & 4x4'ing in the desert to visiting Memphis (day 1), Cairo/Giza (day 1) and Alexandria (day 2).

I need people's opinion on Dahshur... If we are short on time, would people suggest skipping Memphis and seeing Dahshur? Just curious. I would love to see both, but don't want to feel rushed. So we're down to Ramses statue & alabaster sphinx vs. Red Pyramid.

IMHO, the Red Pyramid ... without a doubt. In Memphis, apart from the colossal statue of Ramesses II and the Alabaster Sphinx, there is not a lot to see - mind you, though, they are usually on the checklist of many visitors.

It's a hard call, not knowing what you're most interested in seeing but judging from your planned 4x4 excursion in the desert, you are adventurous. So I think you'll enjoy going inside the Red Pyramid. The climb to the entrance gives a great vantage point for a view to Saqqara and beyond - I'm told that on a clear day, you can see to the Pyramids at Giza. The climb down to the interior isn't too difficult (go down backwards) and the interior chambers are as interesting as those in any pyramid, with high-vaulted chambers and corbelled ceilings.

The Bent Pyramid rounds off your visit in Dahshur and it's quite interesting to see, as it is quite different from the Red and Giza Pyramids. You'll also see the Black Tower, nearby - it's an almost completely collapsed Pyramid.

The bonus is that there are usually very few people at Dahshur, making your walk around these Pyramids and the visit to the interior of the Red quite unique, unlike the crowded visit usually experienced at Giza.

If you do go inside the Red Pyramid, don't be too put off by the strong smell of ammonia that you'll notice right away as you enter. It is a remaining smell from the time when bats were present in the past. You quickly get used to it.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

to use Ramses Tours!

Adrienne and Bob

Thanks very much Adrienne & Bob for your review. It was most helpful. Who was your tour guide? We too have booked on this tour Option 1 for the NCL Jade sailing in October, 2012. Really looking forward to it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looking for information and cost of tours to Egypt Pyamids, we are cruising there Oct. 12, 2012. What can I expect and the cost of the guided tour
Base price for a "deluxe" overnight tour from most companies runs about $250 pp. Some companies have "standard" tours that go to fewer sights and cost less. For comparison, our cruise ship wanted $499 pp for its overnight tour, which was very similar to our private tour (we even used the same hotel).

We used Ramses May 19-20, 2012, for an independent overnight tour with 3 other couples from the Pacific Princess. For more information on this excellent tour, please see my post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=393

Thanks for sharing your trip.

Base price for a "deluxe" overnight tour from most companies runs about $250 pp. Some companies have "standard" tours that go to fewer sights and cost less. For comparison, our cruise ship wanted $499 pp for its overnight tour, which was very similar to our private tour (we even used the same hotel).

We used Ramses May 19-20, 2012, for an independent overnight tour with 3 other couples from the Pacific Princess. For more information on this excellent tour, please see my post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=393

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for information and cost of tours to Egypt Pyramids, we are cruising there Oct. 12, 2012. What can I expect and the cost of the guided tour

Basis price for one day tour from most companies runs about $120 pp. our cruise ship wanted $390 pp for its overnight tour.

Leaving on tour with the Celebrity Solstice in October to Egypt. Worked with Ramses to schedule tours for all ports we'll be visiting. What a trouble free way to get what you want and the sites you want to see. They were patient and detailed. Will report back on the ports as we go through them.

• 2 weeks later...
We took two day tour at 250$ all inclusive

Can you tell us exactly what was included, including which hotel and type of room?

Was lunch and dinner included, and which restaurants?

It makes a difference if a Nile Dinner cruise was included, mummy room at the museum, inside visit to a pyramid, Solar Boat Museum, Sound and Light show, etc.