Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

judy&steve

Mini review of Adventure

Just returned from cruise Sunday night. For some reason, we can't post our comments. This is my newest attempt

Just back from the Adventure of the Seas, wonderful trip, I don’t know

why this ship gets so many complaints on these boards. The ship is in

pristine condition, food was good, service was outstanding, ice show was

unbelievable, fellow passengers were fun with no out of control behavior

by anyone. Although I still do not understand why people take kids out

of school for a vacation. This just sends the wrong message to kids that

vacations are more important than school.

No complaints from me on this trip although Portofino was a little

over-rated as far as food quality was concerned, service was outstanding.

This ship was missing about 1000 passengers at sail time due to bad

weather in the northeast. The captain delayed departure until 2:00 AM.

About 600 passengers checked in between 10::00 PM and 2:00 AM. About

another 300 checked in two days later in Aruba. Thanks to the late

departure our luggage which did not make it to San Juan with us was

delivered around midnight to our stateroom.

I do have to say the excursion to St Barth’s was fabulous. It was

transportation only to and from St Barth’s but the trip was a great

adventure for us as we like shopping and lunching in these uncrowded and

very high-end French surroundings.

I don't think it sends the wrong message to children that vacations are more important than school. I think that during this day and age the children are probably relieved to be spending quality time with there familiies. Not everyone can take vacations during "school vacation." Parents should know what is best academically for their child.

We have been on so many cruises that the shows all seem to look the same, nothing new. We walked out on the head liner, a star search grand winner I don't remember the name, he was full of himself and not very good IMHO. I didn't get the Velvet Rope show, and the second show about rock music was also nothing new, we walked out on that one also. I have to say we sat in the last row of the top balcony so we wouldn't be noticed slipping out.

The ice show was something I have to say was fantastic. Go see it if you are on the AOS or one of her sister ships and try to sit in the front row center.

Just one more word about kids being pulled out of school. At the airport there was a family with two kids, 6th grade and 8th grade, sitting across from us going home. They had school the next day and they were trying to complete home work. The father was DOING the homework for one and the mother was DOING (not very successfully) the math homework of the other one. They had all week to do this and chose to do their work on the way home. The mother wrote a note to the teacher trying to buy time for the kid in pencil when the kid said "Mom use a pen so the note did't look like it was from me". That is how importent school is to the people.

My fiance, son and a college friend of his are going on this cruise on 3/6. I always laugh when I read negative comments on any cruise. Foods bad, ship is dirty, blah, blah, blah. I, like you, have always had fun. I mean given the option of going to work in a cold place vs. cruising on big, fun ship in warm weather. Ship always wins. lolol. Tell me of the St. Barth's excursion. I am not aware of that.

Mark & Janet

I personally find parents at fault that do not fully prepare their kids and teachers for their missing a week of school. I always take my kids out of school for a week for quality vacation family experience. Family time is more important in life than a math or spelling assignment. I wish I could vacation with them during the summer but my line of tourism based work does not allow it. That being said there is so much a parents can do to solve the problem of cramming homework. I have sat down with teachers and worked out missing assignment solutions before we leave for the trip, such as writing a journal or bring back different currency.

I am sorry parents made you feel uncomfortable. My kids are now 19 & 15 and with the oldest being in college I am sure glad I took special time for them.

This excursion is listed as "Life Styles of the Rich and Famous". I cannot remember the price, around $90.00 as I think. You are meet at the pier and boarded onto vans for a very short trip to the next pier where you board the Rapid Explorer. This is a high speed Hydrocruiser completely inclosed with airline type seats. You are speeded off to St. Barth's at 30 knots in about 30 to 40 minutes. We had calm seas and made the trip in about 25 minutes. We were docked at the main street in town about 9:00 AM and picked up at 1:30 PM for the trip back to the ship.

Across from the dock is a very nice restaurant where we had lunch after shopping in the very high-end shops. The harbor was full of huge yachts from around the wold. The nice thing about this town is there are no crowds, no souvenir shops, no one pulling you into the shops like in St Thomas. But be aware that this very French town does close up at noon for a three to four hour lunch, so plan ahead what you want to do with your time, Some others did go to the beaches which they said were great.

To Everyotheryear:

We saw the Velvet Rope show which was quite good and the midnight comedian, who wasn't anything special but he did keep us laughing . Also, the parades were entertaining, especially the Latin parade which featured the ships dancers. In addition, many of the bars had evening entertainment.

We also went on the AOS and had a wonderfull time. Like you, I still can't figure out what all the bad reviews are about. The ship and crew were wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it.:D

I'm so glad you enjoyed the aos. We loved it two years ago and I'm glad to hear it's still beautiful. We go on 2/13 with my in laws who have never cruised before and I'm sure they will be surprised by all there is to do.

I'm glad to be reading more positive reviews of the AOS. I'd been somewhat concerned with all the negative ones - but it definately appears that the more recent ones appear to be good.

I am glad to hear such great things about the AOS as we will be on her in July. As for the comment about parents taking students out of school. As a teacher, I feel I can offer a different opinion. I truly think it depends on the child. As a parent, I would NEVER take my child out of school for a vacation, she is a disorganized mess who is ALWAYS late with assignments as it is and to have to make up a weeks worth of work would be TORTURE for her. From a special edcuation teacher standpoint, taking a student out of school for a week when they are already behind in their studies is NOT A WISE decision!!!! I have a prent who complains because he child is one year below grade level in math, however she feels it is important to take him out of school for a week for a vacation to Disney because it is cheaper than doing it in the summer or during Spring Break. Also, more districts (atleast in my area) are going to standards based report cards and assessments and students will not be able to get back the information taught and assessed while they are gone! Can you tell someone touched a nerve with me???---SORRY!