Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiwi Cruisers

Any recommendation of tours in Noumea Dec 2010??

Hi everyone!

We're cruising on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Sydney at New Year. We'll be in the port of Noumea on 30 Dec, and would love to know of any good day trips that will give us a good feel for the place.

Thank you!

Jen :)

Hi everyone!

We're cruising on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Sydney at New Year. We'll be in the port of Noumea on 30 Dec, and would love to know of any good day trips that will give us a good feel for the place.

Thank you!

Jen :)

Hi Jen,

We visited Noumea last October on Pacific Sun and many years ago on the Fairstar.... You will have more fun onboard!

Noumea is very expansive and rather unclean looking but that is only around the warf so dont let this put you off.

The tour we did was a visit and tour of the cultural centre. Both my wife, children and myself found it rather boring. We expected cultural tribes, music and food. This was not the case just a glorified museum.

The yellow chocho train was a good highlight and a great way to see the outer city.

Hope you are visiting Lifou... beautiful!

Hi there, we are first time cruisers and doing the same cruise as Kiwi Cruisers, the NYE Cruise. We are going to Lifou and by looking at a few pics posted it looks lovely. I only hope the ricketty steps are still standing as that water looks very inviting for snorkelling.

What are your recommendations for Ourvea also in Loyalty Islands?

Cheers

Kerry and Tom

I only hope the ricketty steps are still standing as that water looks very inviting for snorkelling.

I was there again about a week or so ago and the ricketty steps are still standing!!, the steps are getting worse!!

What are your recommendations for Ourvea also in Loyalty Islands?

You wont be going to Ourvea, No cruise ship has been to Ourvea in over 2 years, you will ether be going to Lifou or if Lifou is one of your ports of call then you might be going to a different island or spending the night in a port.

What ports are you going to?

Hi again,

The itinerary definately says we are going to Ourveau, Loyalty Islands. Why do you say no cruise ship has been there in 2 years. Why would they put this on our itinerary if they dont go. We are doing the Rhapsody of the Seas NYE 27 Dec cruise from Sydney.

We will be stopping at this port in December 2011 and are hoping you can share with us your experience from Dec 2010.

We really enjoy water activities and are hopeful that we get in some great snorkeling at this stop. Thanks.

We are cruising on the Radiance in March 2012 and it definitely has Ouvea listed as it's second port after Noumea.

Noumea, Ouvea, Vila, Champagne Bay, Luganville, Mystery Isalnd and lastly Isle of Pines.

Any recommendations of what to do, other than relaxing at each of these ports please?

We will be stopping at this port in December 2011 and are hoping you can share with us your experience from Dec 2010.

We really enjoy water activities and are hopeful that we get in some great snorkeling at this stop. Thanks.

If you're going to Noumea and really Love water activities, I highly recommend doing the Amedee Island tour (I know this is available on P&O cruises, not sure about other cruise companies), its a Whole day tour, Amedee Island is in a Marine Reserve, so Snorkling is absolutly beautiful (I found a Sea Turtle and chased after it, Most amazing thing I've ever Seen). Also included in the tour is the glass bottom boat that you can snorkle off and they take you out to the outer reef for a reef discovery tour, You can also chose to do scuba diving with the Amedee Island tour, which I will be doing on my next cruise at the end of the year :)

If your in Noumea on a Sunday - most of the city is closed. I was lucky enough to book a full day snorkelling tour with Aquanature. I saw stunning underwater scenery both hard and soft coral reefs. Capt Bernard or his wife lead small group tours. We snokelled in two different reef locations. We travelled to a deserted island for lunch. I saw amazing array of sea life, whales, rays and sharks! I would highly recommend this and would love do it again.

Was snorkelling equipment provided or do you need to take your own?

When we cruised the French Polynesia the excursions provided snorkelling equipment to those that did not bring them.

Can anybody expand on the statement" ships dont stop at Ouvea, loyalty Is anymore"???

I am on Rhapsody 17 Dec 2011.

Apparently the weather has to be absolutely perfect for the ships to be able to pull into port, and well this hardly ever happens. We were scheduled to stop there for our June 23 cruise but now it has been changed to Lifou. I dont mind, as long as the weather is good I'm happy.

Thanks tee lee, I am assuming you are going on the Rhaspsody of the seas. I believe it is still just a tender stop (no wharf docking as such)

If it is a weather thing, I guess December could be unlikely to anchor.

Ummmmmmm no not Rhapsody (I should be so lucky, from what I have heard). Going P&O. Our first time, so not really concerned where we stop as long as we have good weather!!!

At this time, in exactly 2 weeks, I will probably be stumbling back to my cabin after the sailaway celebrations. Yeah, bring it on. Lol

Have a great trip Tee Lee, would love to hear how it went, as Dec on Rhapsody will be our first cruise, I hope I have made a good choice, just need the weather gods to be on myside.LOL

we were there in 2008, there is basically a beautiful beach but from memory it is a fair way from the whalf so take a little money for all the locals who come out to take you to the beach, there is also a village to visit and local markets on the beach. It was a lovely day out on the beach.