Mexican Riviera and Hurricane Season

MsSoCalCruiser

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct area but does anyone know when hurricane season is? When are the best months to sail to the Mexican Riviera? Which months are usually the worst? I know that anything can happen at anytime. I've looked online but I can't find the answers to my (many) questions. Thank you!

The Eastern Pacific hurricane season begins May 15th and also ends November 30th. Peak season is August to October.

Best time to go is whenever you can get away ! Spring and fall have the best weather tempertures - not too hot just right

I believe its July - Nov., but don't quote me on it... We've gone in Oct and had no problems... It might rain here and there, but I wouldn't expect a 'real' hurricane. Doesn't happen to often on West Coast.

I believe its July - Nov., but don't quote me on it... We've gone in Oct and had no problems... It might rain here and there, but I wouldn't expect a 'real' hurricane. Doesn't happen to often on West Coast.

Then you don't watch the news too often. The hurricane season on the west coast of Mexico is the same as the east and they do get many named hurricanes and tropical storms every year. August and September are the most active months but we were in Cabo for 2 weeks last October and experienced both TS Patricia and Hurricane Rick while we were there.

Then you don't watch the news too often. The hurricane season on the west coast of Mexico is the same as the east and they do get many named hurricanes and tropical storms every year. August and September are the most active months but we were in Cabo for 2 weeks last October and experienced both TS Patricia and Hurricane Rick while we were there.

I live out here AND watch the news.. Hurricane season might be the same, but they are not as common out here as they are on the east coast... Out here, they are NOT that common, but obviously it can happen.. I travel to Mexico a lot, I've worked in Mex. a lot, usually during these months. We've yet to encounter a hurricane (a small storm or two we have). Guess you're the exception.

I live out here AND watch the news.. Hurricane season might be the same, but they are not as common out here as they are on the east coast... Out here, they are NOT that common, but obviously it can happen.. I travel to Mexico a lot, I've worked in Mex. a lot, usually during these months. We've yet to encounter a hurricane (a small storm or two we have). Guess you're the exception.

According to the National Hurricane Center, in 2009 there were 11 named tropical storms or hurricanes in the Atlantic and 20 in the eastern Pacific. So for last year at least, there were more storms on the western side than the east.

We were in Nuevo Vallarta last Oct and we saw the tail end of Hurricane Rick...... I woke up and heard the wind and thought, "OMG" then I went to the balcony and saw the waves and damage done by the Hurricane...

We had 24 waves pounding the beach into the pools at Dreams Villa Magna that day, I remember seeing a cruise ship leave PV late that night, saying to my DH, "I would NOT want to be on a cruise today".

Span to Jan 2010 we were on a Sapphire Princess cruise and ran into a horrible storm just after Cabo going into LA, 22 + size waves greeted us .......

Beautiful opening for a reply.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

True, I was a bit harsh and I appologize. I just hate it when someone posts something like it is a fact when it is not. Opinions are one thing, that is what this board is for but posting false facts are not.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct area but does anyone know when hurricane season is? When are the best months to sail to the Mexican Riviera? Which months are usually the worst? I know that anything can happen at anytime. I've looked online but I can't find the answers to my (many) questions. Thank you!

Hurricane season is June thru November. The worst months are August and September. I think the best months to go are generally November thru April. Weather is good, early part of year is whale watching season, and its not hurricane season.

Hurricane season as defined by the National Hurricane Center is slightly different in the Atlantic and the Eastern pacific (which includes the mexican Riviera) ...

from their website:

Hurricane Season DatesHurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1st and ends November 30th. The Eastern Pacific hurricane season begins May 15th and also ends November 30th.

She isn't the exception. I've traveled to Mexico quite often and haven't experienced problems but I know some who have and have read many posts on the boards about people who missed ports due to hurricanes over the last couple of seasons. Just because I haven't experienced them doesn't mean they don't happen. Hurricanes on this side might not be as often or as large but they can disrupt a trip which is what I think the OP was trying to figure out. I won't typically cruise to Mexico until mid-November because I want to give myself the best odds of rain free trip.

true, i was a bit harsh and i appologize. I just hate it when someone posts something like it is a fact when it is not. Opinions are one thing, that is what this board is for but posting false facts are not.

puhlees!

She isn't the exception. I've traveled to Mexico quite often and haven't experienced problems but I know some who have and have read many posts on the boards about people who missed ports due to hurricanes over the last couple of seasons. Just because I haven't experienced them doesn't mean they don't happen. Hurricanes on this side might not be as often or as large but they can disrupt a trip which is what I think the OP was trying to figure out. I won't typically cruise to Mexico until mid-November because I want to give myself the best odds of rain free trip.

Geez Louise!! Did I say it will never happen??! I said the following, "We've gone in Oct and had no problems... It might rain here and there, but I wouldn't expect a 'real' hurricane. Doesn't happen to often on West Coast".

To break it down: "We've had no problems".. "Might rain"... "Doesn't happen to often"... Do any of these statements mean that rain or a hurricane will NEVER happen?? NO!

I could be negative like some here and say, 'yea, you're screwed', 'if i was you, i'd cancel, its gonna be bad'! Perhaps I'm a positive individual (or wishful) that the weather will be ok on my vacation.. I just hate raining on other peoples parade I guess. Sorry for the 'false facts', lol!

Geez Louise!! Did I say it will never happen??! I said the following, "We've gone in Oct and had no problems... It might rain here and there, but I wouldn't expect a 'real' hurricane. Doesn't happen to often on West Coast".

To break it down: "We've had no problems".. "Might rain"... "Doesn't happen to often"... Do any of these statements mean that rain or a hurricane will NEVER happen?? NO!

I could be negative like some here and say, 'yea, you're screwed', 'if i was you, i'd cancel, its gonna be bad'! Perhaps I'm a positive individual (or wishful) that the weather will be ok on my vacation.. I just hate raining on other peoples parade I guess. Sorry for the 'false facts', lol!

I think it was the fact that you said "doesn't happen too often" when in fact many years like last year, it happens more often than the eastern side.

Understood... But I do feel slightly justified by this, from CC:

The "Other" Hurricane Season: Pacific Cruise Predictions

(3:50 p.m. EDT) -- The year's first named storm has already come and gone, but it wasn't in the Atlantic. Tropical Storm Agatha, which pounded Guatemala this weekend, officially kicked off hurricane season in another storm-susceptible region entirely -- the Eastern Pacific.

Cruises were not impacted this time around, but with the Mexican Riviera often in the path of Pacific storms, what can travelers expect throughout summer and fall?

Despite the strong start, forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predict a mild season in the Eastern Pacific this year. Their official outlook cites a 75 percent chance of a below-normal season with 9 to 15 named storms, of which four to eight will become hurricanes. Of these, one to three are expected to be major hurricanes -- Category Three or stronger, which means winds of at least 111 miles per hour. (An above-normal season, meanwhile, can produce up to 25 named storms.)

This is in contrast to the Atlantic season, which forecasters say could be extremely active -- but that's to be expected. Historically, when the Atlantic experiences above-normal seasonal activity, the Pacific tends to experience below-normal seasonal activity and vice versa.

The Eastern Pacific season runs through November 30, although it starts earlier -- May 15 rather than June 1. Meanwhile, the Central Pacific is also on hurricane alert (June 1 through November 30); NOAA expects the region will see two to three tropical cyclones this year. Though hurricanes rarely hit Hawaii, it has happened.

Stay tuned to Cruise Critic's Hurricane Zone throughout for updates on storms as they pertain to cruise travel.

--by Melissa Paloti, Managing Editor

Thank you, Melissa!

Househunter is not an exception. We've only traveled to the pacific coast of Mexico 4 times, and have encountered named storms 3 times.

Some people just attract bad weather. My husband and I had our resort wiped out by a hurricane 2 days after we booked a trip to it, booked a cruise and were chased around by the caribbean by the latest named tropical storm in 50 years, and were in the DR when the earthquake hit Haiti.

Maybe you should really just be worried if you are on the ship with us. LOL

I know people that have travelled tons during hurricane season and never had a day of rain. I know others that travelled during the dry season and had DAYS of rain.

Weather is a crapshoot. It isn't predictable until it is happening. Get trip insurance and live the adventure. :)

We've booked a week in Cabo in September.

It's typically hot and humid there then, but (IMHO) a week in Cabo is worth 3 weeks (almost) anywhere else!

Rain? Wind? A hurricane or 2? huhhh...nothing...after all, we spend 50 weeks a year in Oregon!

We've booked a week in Cabo in September.

It's typically hot and humid there then, but (IMHO) a week in Cabo is worth 3 weeks (almost) anywhere else!

Rain? Wind? A hurricane or 2? huhhh...nothing...after all, we spend 50 weeks a year in Oregon!

LOL! I'm an Oregon native, maybe that's why I never let things like tropical storms get in my way.. :D

Last late August we were on the Splendor and encounter Hurricane Jimeane, so the ship was rerouted, it was the most relaxing cruise. The water was so smooth, didn't know if the ship were moving. Got us hook on cruising...so we went again on the Spirit in April. Perfect weather and perfect sailing.

We are now booked on the Mariner for late August this year...keeping my figure cross for good weather. You never know with Mother Nature.

Archived