TravelSmarty

Steaks: Rare, Medium or Burned?

Medium +...don't want it dark red and bloody, but a medium pink, with clear juices!

Medium or Medium Well, depends on the moment or how previous steaks turned out on previous occasions at a restaurant.

Well - always. I eat a filet mignon about twice a year and I always have to send it back because it is pink when I cut it open, despite it being butterflied.

Extra Well Done. Cooked throughout. If you know how to prepare it you can keep it juicy and tender and not rough like shoe leather.

As long as it's warm in the middle, it's good enough. I like my rare warm. Only thing that beats that is to have it tailgating at a Bronco (as in Boise State Broncos) game. Go Orange and Blue.

Rare! Unless it's beef carpaccio with arugula and shaved parmesan, then of course, raw. :)

YUM...I'm with you!

Definitely rare - I like it so a good vet can get it up and walking.

Medium +...don't want it dark red and bloody, but a medium pink, with clear juices!

Yum! That sounds exactly right...

For many years, at least the last 10 years or so, I always ordered medium and usually got my steak the way I liked it, mostly pink in the middle, but with no red juices running in the plate, but for a year or two, now find that my steaks come too well cooked, so lately I switched to ordering medium rare, and lo and behold, they are coming the way I always liked them. So for me; the way to go now is medium rare! :)

Medium for myself......well done for DH

and Jam, you are quite right. A properly cooked well-done filet is still tender and juicy.

Edited by retiredkid

I don't know what it is but lately I cannot enjoy my steak if it is not cooked to medium. Just a little pink is OK but not raw and red. This is ironic because when I was younger I would always enjoy my steaks as well as hamburgers rare to medium-rare and not above. Strage how things change as we get older.

Perfect for me would be medium rare...nicely charred on the outside, pink on the edges and pinkish red in the middle. I find this the easiest to chew, and more well done are generally drier.

DH likes his rare-warm and if the cut is very thin, as in MDR then I might order that as well, fully expecting medium rare to medium, so then just happy with any amount of pink left...

Edited by kcfoxy

Raw- I just don't like beef unless it's served in a tartare or carpaccio preparation for whatever reason.

it depends... for a nyc statehouse thick-cut aged porterhouse-type, i usually take it medium rare... if it's a less tender cut, i also like it more heavily seasoned and charred on the outside....

I like my steaks pittsburgh style. Extremely well done. Basically, a cow that has been cremated.

I like rare to medium rare. My uncle who was a rancher just wanted grill marks on his. Any more than that and it was overcooked to him. He also ate salad at the end of his meal - if he had room for it.

I grew up with everyone in my family eating meat that looked like it belonged on an autopsy table.

For a long time I was turned off to beef entirely.

The first time I tasted a steak I really enjoyed was at a restaurant where the guy I was dating at the time ordered his medium rare, I tried it, and it was perfect!

Now, medium rare all the way, for me.

Medium rare, definitely. I think cooking a steak past that point is disrespectful to the animal (not to mention not very palatable to ME).

I could also go for a nice carpaccio, like, right now.