Steaks: Rare, Medium or Burned?

TravelSmarty

I don't know what it is but lately I cannot enjoy my steak if it is not cooked to medium. Just a little pink is OK but not raw and red. This is ironic because when I was younger I would always enjoy my steaks as well as hamburgers rare to medium-rare and not above. Strage how things change as we get older.

• 1 month later...

Perfect for me would be medium rare...nicely charred on the outside, pink on the edges and pinkish red in the middle. I find this the easiest to chew, and more well done are generally drier.

DH likes his rare-warm and if the cut is very thin, as in MDR then I might order that as well, fully expecting medium rare to medium, so then just happy with any amount of pink left...

Edited by kcfoxy

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up with everyone in my family eating meat that looked like it belonged on an autopsy table.

For a long time I was turned off to beef entirely.

The first time I tasted a steak I really enjoyed was at a restaurant where the guy I was dating at the time ordered his medium rare, I tried it, and it was perfect!

Now, medium rare all the way, for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Extra Well Done. Cooked throughout. If you know how to prepare it you can keep it juicy and tender and not rough like shoe leather.

Extra Well Done & Juicy :eek:..... NOT POSSIBLE! The chef must have dipped it an au jus because it would have NO juices of its own left!

ok I will admit this is a pet peeve of mine before I get flamed for being way too specific:

To all posters who say they need it well done because of the sight of blood-

Steaks have no blood in them, no matter how rare they are. What you are seeing is purge, when the Sacroplasm (think vitamins) starts to leave the muscle as it cooks. All blood is drained when the animal is slaughtered.

Maybe too much detail...?

Steaks have no blood in them, no matter how rare they are. What you are seeing is purge, when the Sacroplasm (think vitamins) starts to leave the muscle as it cooks. All blood is drained when the animal is slaughtered.

Maybe too much detail...?

I think it was more appealing when I thought it was blood :D

Another vote fore medium rare. Last year on the Liberty, while I had a very good experience in the main dining room, the one disappointment was the prime rib on the 2nd night of the 7night cruise. I ordered medium, and I found it to be a little too overdone for my liking.

I have been looking at other posters reveiws and photos, and I have come to the decision that med rare is the thing to order these days. This last week while cruising on the Carnival Freedom, I realized that med rare is the way to order at least for my tastes.

So My vote is for MED RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Same goes for filet mignon!