Lost Camera - Any Arubans Here?

What a great person!

My poor friend lost her camera in NYC a few months ago. It had the entire first year of her daughters life on it, which she like many others has never copied to her computer. She cried and threw up for a week, so sad. I bet she is wishing someone like you found her camera.

I hate to say that she deserved it but anyone who takes lots of pictures and leaves them all on a card inside a camera is a disaster waiting to happen. The only question is - when will it occur. Hopefully, she learned from her disaster.

If you take digital pictures, you need to set up a good disaster recovery plan in advance, not after the disaster occurs. There are so many people who have every picture they have taken of their entire family on the hard drive of their computer, often in their "my pictures" directory. What do you think will happen to those pictures when (not if) their hard drive dies?

What I and most knowledgeable people do is to copy all of my daily photos from my camera card to my computer (I travel with my netbook) every night. I then do a quick check to ensure that everything is OK and then backup the pictures to a portable 500 gig hard drive. After I do that, I format the data card in the camera (not in my computer) and reuse the card. I do not format the card in my computer and I the reason I format the card in the camera instead of the computer is that it is a safer reformat for the photo data.

When I get home, I transfer the pictures to my main computer but I do not erase them off the portable hard until I am done manipulating them. My 500 gig portable hard drive can hold the pictures from a lot of trips.

All the pictures on my computer hard drive are in a "download from camera" directory with sub directories for each trip and for each day within the trip subdirectory. Thiese files are on an 2nd hard drive inside my computer box which is separate from the disk that contains my operating system and computer programs. I do this because I feel that if a virus gets past my virus protection program, it is more likely to infect the disk that has my programs, not the disk that has my data.

I arrange the directories in my "download" drive in the way I do for 2 reasons. First, it makes them easier to work with. Second, it limits the amount of damage I can cause if I do something really stupid.

All of the pictures in the "download" directory are automatically backed up to 2 places - one on the internet and one on an external hard drive. I do not have to do anything to make this happen as the backup is done whenever I put a file in the the "download" directory or even if I modify a file in this directory.

When I am done with whatever I want to do with the pictures, I copy them to a "DMS Photos" directory which is also automatically backed up to the internet and to an external drive. I then erase them from the "download" directory.

Am I being paranoid - yes. Am I less likely to loose all of my photos than most people -yes.

Hope that this helps and I did not mean to be harsh when I said that she deserved it but a bit of prior planning would mean that she would still have her daugher's first year pictures.

DON

I hate to say that she deserved it but anyone who takes lots of pictures and leaves them all on a card inside a camera is a disaster waiting to happen. The only question is - when will it occur. Hopefully, she learned from her disas...

BIG SNIP HERE

When I am done with whatever I want to do with the pictures, I copy them to a "DMS Photos" directory which is also automatically backed up to the internet and to an external drive. I then erase them from the "download" directory.

Am I being paranoid - yes. Am I less likely to loose all of my photos than most people -yes. ........ Another snip

DON

OK Don...

Sounds like a decent plan...

Just one question.... Have you ever tested a restore of those backups?

Disaster recovery also requires regular testing to ensure it is actually working as intended.

Frank

This is a great story. I love happy endings :)

I'm looking for a new underwater camera, or camera/housing and took a look at Ikelite - :eek: pricey! Still, I guess you do get what you pay for. There are just so many cameras to choose from I'm going crazy trying to figure it out.

Sigh!

Paul for President! Or at least God Father of Allure. That would be soooooo great.

You are truely a wonderful person. Hope to sail with you some day. I work for Airtran as a Flight Attendant so if you need a buddy pass to Aruba, just let me know. My email is at the bottom of the page.

Loved this thread. It's so nice to smile at this thread.

Have a great day!

E-Beth

OK Don...

Sounds like a decent plan...

Just one question.... Have you ever tested a restore of those backups?

Disaster recovery also requires regular testing to ensure it is actually working as intended.

Frank

I have downloaded photos off my internet site. I have also recovered files off my external hard drive.

I should add one more thing that I have to ensure that my photos are safe. I bought the RescuePro software package. What this does is if you are really really dumb and format the wrong camera card, you can get your photos back off the formatted card. The only thing is that you must put the card away and not use it until the photos are recovered.

I also tried this program and it really works.

DON

I too applaud Aquahound for his effort in getting the camera back to its owner. :)

Several years ago, my pointandshoot camera fell overboard while on a tender out to a Nautilus submarine excursion in the Grand Bahamas. I delighted in telling all my friends that the final straw to this loss was an octopus swimming past the submarine taking a picture of me with MY camera. :eek:

I don't know anything about underwater photography. But, after watching the turtle video, I was surprised with the audio portion of it. You could hear water splashing and sounds of the turtle attacking the waterproof case. I have no doubt you can manufacture a waterproof viewing window but a waterproof speaker is something else.

I too had skipped over it because I hadn't lost a camera. I ended up reading it after I opened another thread and it turned out it was someone asking about whether anyone knew whether that camera got returned. Someone else linked the original thread and I read all 8 pages of it! Great story. It's nice to just get lost family photos back, but to have them be part of a bigger picture in the recovery effort was even sweeter.

Our honeymoon was our first and only cruise 9 years ago and it was before the age of digital cameras. We had all our photos developed (10 rolls worth). When we went to show our family, one set was missing. My camera date-stamped every picture and I knew it was missing because it was of the Mayan Ruins in Tulum and it was September 11, 2001. I date I will never forget where I was. I had seen the photos in print-form and then they just disappeared. 4 years later when we moved from our apartment into our house we bought new furniture. When the movers took our old couch away, a developed package of pictures fell out from beneath the upolstery. They were a bit bent, but we were happy to have those back 4 years later and could finally show our families.

You did a great thing, Aqua. I'm glad you are getting the recognition you deserve. It's nice to hear of someone doing something good lately. :)

Edited by Maybaybie10

Great story - can you tell us what brand of camera and waterproof housing???

The camera was a Nikon Coolpix L18. The housing was an Ikelite. The camera is great for underwater use in a housing. It is 8mp with only a 3x zoom. That way, the housing doesn't get in the way of the zoom, yet it still takes great pictures. The housing actually cost a lot more than the camera.

What is the gentleman in the water in front of the Diva Aruba holding in his hands?

That is his regulator, bc, fins, mask, and snorkel.

You could hear water splashing and sounds of the turtle attacking the waterproof case. I have no doubt you can manufacture a waterproof viewing window but a waterproof speaker is something else.

That was a big surprise to me. I don't know how that camera was able to pick up so much sound from inside the housing. :confused:

Paul for President! Or at least God Father of Allure. That would be soooooo great.

You are truely a wonderful person. Hope to sail with you some day. I work for Airtran as a Flight Attendant so if you need a buddy pass to Aruba, just let me know. My email is at the bottom of the page.

Loved this thread. It's so nice to smile at this thread.

Have a great day!

E-Beth

I agree! And how nice of you to offer a "buddy pass"....I DO hope they meet one day. Would be a GREAT addition to this thread!:D

I work for Airtran as a Flight Attendant so if you need a buddy pass to Aruba, just let me know.

Wow, Beth, that is a great offer. I don't think I'll be getting down to Aruba any time soon, though. I've got quite a bit of work related travel in the next couple months. Thanks, anyway! :)