HAL to Alaska with Eight Children

We're just back from a grand family celebration on the Zuiderdam with our three children and their families. We were a group of 8 adults and 8 children from just over one year to eleven.

It proved to be a perfect setting for our family celebration. I'd feared that the children would be 'out of place' on a HAL ship, but there were about 100 children in total on board and all appeared to be accepted by the other passengers, when seen in public areas.

Club HAL proved to be a hit for the ones in the youngest group and for one of the two in the middle group. All activities were very low key, which suited our kids' personalities and the parents were pleased with the young staff. They were only in for an hour or so on most days, but this brief time provided a nice break for their parents.

One concern was raised when on the final night there was a pillow fight and all pillows were simply tossed in one grand pile. Lice do exist out there and are a problem at the highest end summer camps, but all grands came home with clean heads so concerns were for naught.

I'd be happy to answer questions anyone might have about the suitability of HAL for children.

Maybe a clever moderator could also post this on family cruising.

Ruth

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip! I have a non-kids question if that's okay? I'll be on this cruise with my husband's parents and brother in July. Do you remember which nights were the formal nights (I think there are supposed to be two)? Also, do you know if there was a master chef dinner (and which night that was)?

Do you have any tips about the ship otherwise?

We are very excited to go on our first family cruise! Thanks!

Glad you had a great time. We have always had a positive experience cruising with our DD on HAL and look forward to going back on their ships again. HAL does a lovely job with kids and deserves a lot of credit for their kids program and welcoming attitude towards families.

I am glad that you and your family had a wonderful time aboard, and this is a good thread for families that might otherwise think that HAL is just for the older crowd.

I have a sort-of kids question. Don't most schools let out in June? If not, perhaps the first sailing on May 14 would have less kids than say the May 21 sailing? I like children but 100 kids on board sounds like a lot to me (maybe not, it is a big ship).

Thank you :)

Glad to hear you had a great cruise. We are cruising on the Zuiderdam in Sept with two of our grandkids and they like to dance with their Nanny and Poppy. Did you see any kids in the disco or kids dancing with family in the evenings. I know we could dance in the lounge on RCCL, but they don't have any ships leaving from Vancouver doing the inside passage. Thanks for any info you can provide.

VAtravellers100, the formal nights were the Sunday and the Wednesday as I recall and the Chef's night on the final night. I was surprised how 'informal' the dress for many was at the first seating. I saw several men without jackets or even ties.

Sailkeywest, for sure all of May and most of June are school days in Canada. The children on board appeared to be young -- a few young teens but most of early elementary school age.

Gpmacki, I'm afraid I cannot answer your dancing question. Our grands were off to bed immediately after dinner, but I'm sure this question could be answered by other experts if you started a different thread.

VAtravellers100, the formal nights were the Sunday and the Wednesday as I recall and the Chef's night on the final night. I was surprised how 'informal' the dress for many was at the first seating. I saw several men without jackets or even ties.

Thank you so much for the feedback - it's very helpful and appreciated! If you think of any other Zuiderdam tips, please share!

Archived