Nobody's mentioned Nieuw Amsterdam's sea trials yet?!

She is lovely and BIG!:)

At 935' long and 86,400 tons, holding 3033 souls (2104 pax and 929 crew), she's actually kinda small compared to the last few big line ships to set sail, or ready to set sail this year...

The Norwegian Epic (1028' long and 150,000 tons, with 5890 souls)

The Oasis of the Seas (1181' long and 225,282 tons, with 7050 souls)

The Allure of the Seas (same as the Oasis of the Seas)

But she is quite lovely, nonetheless. I'm very excited to make her acquaintance later this year!

Bigger isn't always better, particularly not so with mega cruise ships. I'll stick with the Vista class ships.

igraf

I agree, despite not having experienced one of those mega-ships yet. I chose HAL because of the good size and the good crew-to-pax ratio. Carnival and others cram up to 50% more passengers on board, with the same crew size and basically the same ship size.

I'll take slightly more spaciousness and far more quietude over slightly lower rates any day. Just imagine how crowded the excursions, rentals, shops, and beaches are going to be when the Oasis, Allure, and/or Epic are in the same port at your ship.

Bigger isn't always better, particularly not so with mega cruise ships. I'll stick with the Vista class ships.
The Signature ships are really the same as a Vista with two partial decks on the top. Unfortunately, they have added 200 more passengers.

At 935' long and 86,400 tons, holding 3033 souls (2104 pax and 929 crew), she's actually kinda small compared to the last few big line ships to set sail, or ready to set sail this year...

The Norwegian Epic (1028' long and 150,000 tons, with 5890 souls)

The Oasis of the Seas (1181' long and 225,282 tons, with 7050 souls)

The Allure of the Seas (same as the Oasis of the Seas)

But she is quite lovely, nonetheless. I'm very excited to make her acquaintance later this year!

I think that 3,000 souls is about as big as I am willing to deal with on any one vacation! I hope to stand on her decks one day!:)

That's a fantastic photo of the Nieuw Amsterdam, DBA! Hope it finds its way onto the cover of a HAL brochure in the future.

I personally can't wait to sail on her. She may be 'big' as far as the HAL fleet is concerned, but having been on much, much larger ships, I find this size to be the perfect fit.

She looks beautiful. I have a deposit on the Dec. 5-19 cruise and hopefully will come up with the rest of the money by final payment. I was able to get a very good solo price. I loved the size of the Noordam so the size sounds really good. A work friend cruised the Oasis and was not impressed. She said that everywhere you went, there were crowds of people. She also said that by the time food came in MDR, it was usually warm to cold. I am looking forward to reading the reviews of the Nieuw Amsterdam as she begins her cruises in July.

The Signature ships are really the same as a Vista with two partial decks on the top. Unfortunately, they have added 200 more passengers.

They have also added the small decks with the Cabanas ('Cabana Club' for Nieuw Amsterdam... same as 'Retreat' on Eurodam) for those that prefer the little extras, the massive sun deck on top of Tamarind/Silk Den, the larger aft pool deck (similar but larger than those on the Vistas after the aft refit), the fact there is another 2 restaurants (Tamarind and Canaletto) to help disperse the crowds a little as well as 2 extra bars (Silk Den and Explorer's Bar)

There's been some adjustments in the deck plans to help keep the balance in place for the extra people onboard. ;)

Not sure of the specific destination although the sea trials usually take place in the Adriatic. I can try to find out more information.

Oh, thank you! :) I would appreciate it if you could identify that stunning view. I'd even try to be out to see it for myself next time I'm in the area.

That is a fantastic photo, and I am so happy she can float and move quite quickly from the looks of things...actullay how fast can the NA go?

I can't wait to test out the Cabana club, mine is already rented...the only thing that concerns me is the roll call for my cruise is still not active...I'll just have to be paitent I guess..

Archived