St. George

NYcruzzer

I will be on the 8/29 sailing on the Dawn. For anyone who has recently been to St. George what are the must see sights and attractions ? I have heard that alot of shops have closed since majority of cruise ships stopped docking their.

We were on the 5/23 Celebrity Summit sailing to Bermuda. We used our first morning in Bermuda to take the ferry to St. George. We took the trolley tour, which was nice and the tour guide was good, but I told the rest of my party (13 of us) that they could skip St. George and not miss anything. We had a very good lunch at the place next to the docks with the white horse on the side. The dunking was cute. Since we messed up on timing we missed the ferry and took the bus. It was a LONG ride. If you go, just be mindful of the ferry times. We missed the 10 am ferry even though we were there at 9:55 because it left early. We missed it by less than one minute.

St. George's has changed a lot since the majority of all the ships pulled out of there. It use to be an interesting place to visit now we completely ignore it. There's no there there.

I do enjoy the St George stop. It helps me to picture just what "old Bermuda" must have looked like. Yes, it's slower paced, not as exciting, not much nite life, if really any, to speak of, but definitely worth visiting if your time permits.

we'll be gong there on a 5 1/2 hr excursion from the Dockyard area-- we will have 45 min there on our own--

We have been there before so finding a restroom & getting something to eat will be our main priority on that stop. Is there a place in the main area of the town where we can get a quick snack?

we'll be gong there on a 5 1/2 hr excursion from the Dockyard area-- we will have 45 min there on our own--

We have been there before so finding a restroom & getting something to eat will be our main priority on that stop. Is there a place in the main area of the town where we can get a quick snack?

Right after you get off of the ferry there is a public rest room. It is a small pinkish building. We ate at the White Horse. The food was very good. It had a great view.

Thanks--could we get a quick bite to eat & a beer at White Horse, Tavern by the Sea, The George & Dragon or some other tavern type place in 45 minutes? ...... we do not want to miss our tour bus back to the ship...

Thanks--could we get a quick bite to eat & a beer at White Horse, Tavern by the Sea, The George & Dragon or some other tavern type place in 45 minutes? ...... we do not want to miss our tour bus back to the ship...

They are giving you only 45 minutes in St. George?:(

Depends on how busy any of the places are at the time. If worse came to worst, you could always take the ferry back to the ship, you won't be stranded.

They are giving you only 45 minutes in St. George?:(

Depends on how busy any of the places are at the time. If worse came to worst, you could always take the ferry back to the ship, you won't be stranded.

But if they miss the ship excursion's bus, they are going to make a lot of enemies...unless they tell the tour guide in advance not to wait if they're late. Otherwise when the head count is short they usually end up waiting for at least a while, and the other people on the tour, as well the bus driver and the tour guide are going to be rather annoyed.

We told our waiter that we had tickets for the 12:30 trolley tour and were in and out of the restaurant within 45 minutes. I would tell the guide/bus driver that you are going to xyz for lunch and tell the waiter your time constraints when you sit down. I would keep my eye on my cell phone for the time and make sure you are back on the bus timely. HTH

But if they miss the ship excursion's bus, they are going to make a lot of enemies...unless they tell the tour guide in advance not to wait if they're late. Otherwise when the head count is short they usually end up waiting for at least a while, and the other people on the tour, as well the bus driver and the tour guide are going to be rather annoyed.

Just sayin' it's not the end of the world if they miss the bus...enemies not withstanding, and yes, they can tell the tour guide not to wait if they're late. Some tour guides even say if you're not here, we're history.:p

Thanks everyone...we are fine with the allotted time as we have been there before on a land trip & seen all the places of interest...we also plan to be on the bus back to the ship ..

we really just want to know if there is a food stand, pizza place, deli, bakery or some place in the main square area where we can get a snack and a cold drink & use the restroom. I am diabetic & if there are no snack places available we will have to consider cancelling the excursion.....or settling for taking sealed granola bars with us --you can't take foood off the ship.

.I can't imagine a 5 1/2 hr trip without a food or rest stop ???

Thanks everyone...we are fine with the allotted time as we have been there before on a land trip & seen all the places of interest...we also plan to be on the bus back to the ship ..

we really just want to know if there is a food stand, pizza place, deli, bakery or some place in the main square area where we can get a snack and a cold drink & use the restroom. I am diabetic & if there are no snack places available we will have to consider cancelling the excursion.....or settling for taking sealed granola bars with us --you can't take foood off the ship.

.I can't imagine a 5 1/2 hr trip without a food or rest stop ???

Like someone esle said, there are public restrooms right off the square and are easily found. If you want something very quick, you could go to Somer's Market, a grocery store just a block off the square. They sell things by the pound like chicken, salads, rice. Cafe Latte' on Water St. has a few luch things and then there's Angelina's Coffee Shop on York St.

St. George's has changed a lot since the majority of all the ships pulled out of there. It use to be an interesting place to visit now we completely ignore it. There's no there there.

I do understand there are other things to see for those that have been there before. But the town has fallen on hard times due ot no fault of their own; until Gov't gets off their duff :mad:to figure out how to support the town, I think it behooves Bermuda lovers to visit. We'll still be heading over. It is still:

- a World Heritage site with fascinating history and museums

- some of Bermuda's best beaches

- the White Horse tavern is there! Need I 'splain? ;)

- When Sir George Somers (who settled this wonderful island) passed, he wanted his heart interred in a park there 400 years ago - that must count for something!

I do understand there are other things to see for those that have been there before. But the town has fallen on hard times due ot no fault of their own; until Gov't gets off their duff :mad:to figure out how to support the town, I think it behooves Bermuda lovers to visit. We'll still be heading over. It is still:

- a World Heritage site with fascinating history and museums

- some of Bermuda's best beaches

- the White Horse tavern is there! Need I 'splain? ;)

- When Sir George Somers (who settled this wonderful island) passed, he wanted his heart interred in a park there 400 years ago - that must count for something!

I could add a few more things.;):)

I always wonder what was there before that people say is not there now.:confused: Some stores are gone but shopping is not my MAIN objective.

BTW, shouldn't you be packing or is it done? SeaHound has already started his trip by heading to Atlanta today.;) Have a great cruise.....I'm jealous.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and mine is the place is boring and nothing is there to make me want to return. My time in Bermuda is precious therefore I have no obligation to go to St. George's when I'd rather be at the South Shore Beaches. It's not my fault they never widened the town cut and therefore lost all their ships. If you want to spend your time in St. George's go right ahead but don't critique my opinion for not agreeing with you. Been there, seen it all, no interest in returning.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and mine is the place is boring and nothing is there to make me want to return. My time in Bermuda is precious therefore I have no obligation to go to St. George's when I'd rather be at the South Shore Beaches. It's not my fault they never widened the town cut and therefore lost all their ships. If you want to spend your time in St. George's go right ahead but don't critique my opinion for not agreeing with you. Been there, seen it all, no interest in returning.

Geesh.

No one is critiquing your opnion, just offering their opinion and surely no one said it was your fault they didn't widen the town cut.

For the record, you're the one who said it used to be an interesting place to visit and there's no there there. Once again, I am curious as to what is not there anymore?

I too am interested in what used to be there, that isn't now, except for some shops? :confused: I wouldn't go to Bermuda without stopping in St Georges for at least part of a day. Just the ferry ride makes it worthwile to me.:)

Like someone esle said, there are public restrooms right off the square and are easily found. If you want something very quick, you could go to Somer's Market, a grocery store just a block off the square. They sell things by the pound like chicken, salads, rice. Cafe Latte' on Water St. has a few luch things and then there's Angelina's Coffee Shop on York St.

Thanks so much--that's perfect-- it'll be fine for what we need & still leave time for taking some nice photos & maybe a souvenier......

we hope to enjoy the long drive there & back--each on a different route!

We always enjoy St. George and will definitely spend some time there. We like the history, wandering around some of the small lanes, the White Horse.......

Guess a lot of it depends on what you like to do. DH and I are not beach people. Put me on a beach and tell me I have to sit there all day and I'll go nuts. :)

On the other hand, for lots of folks, lying on the beach all day is what they most look forward to.

That's what's so great about Bermuda. Lots to enjoy for everyone.

We always enjoy St. George and will definitely spend some time there. We like the history, wandering around some of the small lanes, the White Horse.......

Guess a lot of it depends on what you like to do. DH and I are not beach people. Put me on a beach and tell me I have to sit there all day and I'll go nuts. :)

On the other hand, for lots of folks, lying on the beach all day is what they most look forward to.

That's what's so great about Bermuda. Lots to enjoy for everyone.

Exactly. I try to be as non-objective as I can if it's someplace I do not particularly care for.....although those places are few and far between. I never write off a place completely based on what I like because one never knows what may interest another.

St Georges is beautiful . We enjoyed our land trip to that side of the island. The hotel we stayed in was above Fort Catherine--great views, golf course, nice beach way below and close to so much history.

We are looking foward to seeing more of the other side this time around but thought the all isalnd trip would be a good excursion.

Archived