What to do in the Fairbanks area......

STEVE-O

We're ending our cruise/tour in Fairbanks next June on a Friday. We're considering staying in that area one extra day....

For those of you who've been there......what would you suggest we do with the extra day?? We'd be willing to rent a car if there isn't a private tour company who would pick us up at the hotel.

We're mostly interested in wildlife ( the animal type...not wild partying with frat boys) and scenary....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.......

Steve

Check out the University of Alaska Fairbanks they have some great wild life and agriculural programs all summer long well all year long and you can check out a very northern most campus which is a lot of fun. Also thier is Alaskaland and also you can try your hand at gold panning as well.

Fairbanks is a fun little city and is the 2nd largest city in Alaska. If you have a rental car you could drive out to Chena Hot springs and soak in the hot springs thats a great idea. Its a lot of fun. They also have an ice house and lots of stuff to do.

Adri :)

I'm reading these posts because my son just got accepted for an internship in Fairbanks (he's coming all the way from Illinois !) and he'll be heading up that way in a week or so. We still haven't found housing for him as the "barracks" have wildfires nearby and they've closed them down. I'm hoping to learn as much about Fairbanks as possible, to help him get acclamated.

I'm reading these posts because my son just got accepted for an internship in Fairbanks (he's coming all the way from Illinois !) and he'll be heading up that way in a week or so. We still haven't found housing for him as the "barracks" have wildfires nearby and they've closed them down. I'm hoping to learn as much about Fairbanks as possible, to help him get acclamated.

What internship is he accepted for? If it's in the right area for his internship, UAF used to rent dorm rooms in the summer...don't know if they still do.

We're ending our cruise/tour in Fairbanks next June on a Friday. We're considering staying in that area one extra day....

For those of you who've been there......what would you suggest we do with the extra day?? We'd be willing to rent a car if there isn't a private tour company who would pick us up at the hotel.

We're mostly interested in wildlife ( the animal type...not wild partying with frat boys) and scenary....

Steve

My hubby and I spent 3 wonderful days in Fairbanks about 4 years ago and loved it!! Alaskaland is a great visit for 3 hours or so one evening... they have the best ALASKA SALMON BAKE I have ever experienced. I live in Ga and I don't particularly even like the type of Salmon they serve here , but I loved, loved, loved the salmon at this quaint (although somewhat touristy) outdoor salmonbake. Google it and you can read up on it. Also, rent a car if you can and just go for a leisurely drive out of town (north) - we saw moose just ambling along the sides of the road - very cool !! Also, there's a great Riverboat Tour there, the captain and crew are great ; http://www.riverboatdiscovery.com

Have fun!!

I want to go back one day - loved Fairbanks. We're doing a cruise this year and Denali park but due to time, won't be able to make it to Fairbanks.

What internship is he accepted for? If it's in the right area for his internship, UAF used to rent dorm rooms in the summer...don't know if they still do.

Thanks ! He would be working with biologists in the Central Yukon Field Office in the Dalton Management Area. I think UAF does still accept guests in their dorms, but from what I can see on their website, it would be $53 per night and would eat up all of his income. I sent them an e-mail to ask questions just the same.

Thanks ! He would be working with biologists in the Central Yukon Field Office in the Dalton Management Area. I think UAF does still accept guests in their dorms, but from what I can see on their website, it would be $53 per night and would eat up all of his income. I sent them an e-mail to ask questions just the same.

You're probably about to find out why a lot of kids who go to Alaska to work in the summer pitch a tent! The other option is craigs list to share rent. My friends and I rented rooms in people's homes whose own kids had grown and moved away when we spent summers in Fairbanks.

Check this place out - I believe they have discounted summer rates, but housing in Fairbanks is not cheap. He might be able to get a dry cabin for about $450 a month plus utilities. If he doesn't have a car and is working for NPS or BLM this is close. If he is with Fish and Wildlife he should look for something closer to downtown. There are some places that he should definately stay away from - as they rent to druggies and low lifes.

http://fairbanksstudenthousing.com/home

Check this place out - I believe they have discounted summer rates, but housing in Fairbanks is not cheap. He might be able to get a dry cabin for about $450 a month plus utilities. If he doesn't have a car and is working for NPS or BLM this is close. If he is with Fish and Wildlife he should look for something closer to downtown. There are some places that he should definately stay away from - as they rent to druggies and low lifes.

http://fairbanksstudenthousing.com/home

Thank-you so much for this link, wolfie11. However, after contacting them we've found they are full for the summer. Seems my son was offered this opportunity too late in the game to find a decent place to stay. By low lifes are you referring to hostels ? They're not the cheapest either, and probably full anyway. He won't have a car, so he can't be too far out of the way. Thanks for your help. CC is the greatest !!

I stay at Hostels all over the world and I dont smoke nor do I drink and I am not a lowlife. Hostels are a great place that by and large ofer cheap housing and a great sence of community. I also recommend looking at Tent camping in a camping park. Its very common for many in Alaska to do this. Many places offer showers and laundromats as well. Its very normal and douable to do this and many people of all differnt ages in the summer camp out in Fairbanks.

Fairbanks is very warm in the summer so thats not an issue. Get a two man tent or a four man tent for it to be roomier and a sleeping bag and he should be good to go. Get a well insulated cooler for food and also for non parishible items. Keep them well contained and bagged and also make sure he keeps the campsite extremly clean as extra smells and such attract wild animals. He can just keep his valuables on his person during the day and thier we go :).

I stay at Hostels all over the world and I dont smoke nor do I drink and I am not a lowlife. Hostels are a great place that by and large ofer cheap housing and a great sence of community. I also recommend looking at Tent camping in a camping park. Its very common for many in Alaska to do this. Many places offer showers and laundromats as well. Its very normal and douable to do this and many people of all differnt ages in the summer camp out in Fairbanks.

Fairbanks is very warm in the summer so thats not an issue. Get a two man tent or a four man tent for it to be roomier and a sleeping bag and he should be good to go. Get a well insulated cooler for food and also for non parishible items. Keep them well contained and bagged and also make sure he keeps the campsite extremly clean as extra smells and such attract wild animals. He can just keep his valuables on his person during the day and thier we go :).

There is one somewhat dodgy hostel in Fairbanks located above a bar. There are a couple of others that come and go over the years. I'm not sure which ones are open this summer. However, I was referring to sleazy hotels that rent by the week or month. They are too run down for tourists, so make money by renting to seasonal workers, but many have a bad reputation for drug dealing.

Thank-you so much for this link, wolfie11. However, after contacting them we've found they are full for the summer. Seems my son was offered this opportunity too late in the game to find a decent place to stay. By low lifes are you referring to hostels ? They're not the cheapest either, and probably full anyway. He won't have a car, so he can't be too far out of the way. Thanks for your help. CC is the greatest !!

email me at akwolfie11@yahoo.com and let me know who he's working for, if he'll be in the field or in the office, etc. and I'll see if I can ask around for something. I know one person looking for a housesitter for part of the summer to take care of her dogs....

Thanks, Adri. We're looking into every aspect right now. They usually put the kids up in some "barracks" wherever that might be, but right now they can't use them due to fires. He'd be flying in from IL, so he can't bring heavy items like camping equip with the weight limitations, and buying all that stuff doesn't seem feasible. He would also need transportation to the area of UAF, as he will not have a car. He's trying to stay near UAF. (the price of UAF dorms per day is TOO high) Thank you for all your help, I hope to be able to visit AK sometime in the near future !!

Thanks, Adri. We're looking into every aspect right now. They usually put the kids up in some "barracks" wherever that might be, but right now they can't use them due to fires. He'd be flying in from IL, so he can't bring heavy items like camping equip with the weight limitations, and buying all that stuff doesn't seem feasible. He would also need transportation to the area of UAF, as he will not have a car. He's trying to stay near UAF. (the price of UAF dorms per day is TOO high) Thank you for all your help, I hope to be able to visit AK sometime in the near future !!

Your very welcome and im glad to help and good luck to your son, I hope he figures it all out :).

This might be an option. Last September in Fairbanks, I stayed at a home stay owned by the same people who own Denali Dome House in Healy. I had the upper level which included a large bedroom, kitchen facilities and full bath. You might want to check with them. This is an actual house, I believe their daughter used to live there. Separate locations in the upper level, main level and basement. The house is located in the Aurora Subdivision. I believe their website is Denali Dome Bed and Breakfast.com

This might be an option. Last September in Fairbanks, I stayed at a home stay owned by the same people who own Denali Dome House in Healy. I had the upper level which included a large bedroom, kitchen facilities and full bath. You might want to check with them. This is an actual house, I believe their daughter used to live there. Separate locations in the upper level, main level and basement. The house is located in the Aurora Subdivision. I believe their website is Denali Dome Bed and Breakfast.com

Thanks, I'll go take a peek !!

STEVE-O, we spent and extra night in Fairbanks after our tour and found it very difficult to get around without a rental. We stayed at Pikes and walked to the Riverboat Discovery. It was a bit long for us, but was able to take a reasonably priced cab back to the hotel. The El Dorado Gold Mine was a bit touristy but fun and was part of our cruisetour. Pikes runs a shuttle to downtown for a nominal fee, but we really didn't find all that much to do. In hindsight we should have made sure we had a 1 day rental so we could drive out to the Univ of AK Fairbanks Museum and to the Large Animal Research Station to see the muskoxen.

Steve

STEVE-O, we spent and extra night in Fairbanks after our tour and found it very difficult to get around without a rental. We stayed at Pikes and walked to the Riverboat Discovery. It was a bit long for us, but was able to take a reasonably priced cab back to the hotel. The El Dorado Gold Mine was a bit touristy but fun and was part of our cruisetour. Pikes runs a shuttle to downtown for a nominal fee, but we really didn't find all that much to do. In hindsight we should have made sure we had a 1 day rental so we could drive out to the Univ of AK Fairbanks Museum and to the Large Animal Research Station to see the muskoxen.

After reading the posts the last few days....I had forgotten what my original question even was!.......

Having said that...I'm glad there are folks on CC that are willing to help strangers ...whether it's tour advice or housing needs

Thanks to all who've replied.

There is one somewhat dodgy hostel in Fairbanks located above a bar. There are a couple of others that come and go over the years. I'm not sure which ones are open this summer. However, I was referring to sleazy hotels that rent by the week or month. They are too run down for tourists, so make money by renting to seasonal workers, but many have a bad reputation for drug dealing.

Aha thanks for clearing that up I get it now, It is good to know which places are reputable and which are not. Sadly drugs are everywhere all over the world thats for sure,

Again, I appreciate everyone that has tried to pitch in and help. I know my posts / questions have not been on topic, sometimes you draw straws to find folks that are "in the know." I couldn't even find a decent group on facebook to converse with - thank goodness for the kind-hearted from AK on CC !!! Many people decide to stay an extra week up your way on a return cruise / trip and for them as well it's good to learn up on local facts.

Turns out my son will just get out there and stay at his mentor's house for a short bit, they will immediately be on the road and staying overnight in BLM cabins for the first week. He can look for a place beyond that date and actually SEE what he's getting himself into. PHEW !!

I really want to come out your way some day - I've been doing so much reading lately and the pictures are just amazing !!

Just want to let people coming to Fairbanks know that there is a Farmer's Market on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. It is small and the produce isn't cheap, but there are lots of places to get lunch or a snack and it's a great place to pick up a locally-made work of art (ceramics, photos, paintings, t-shirts, etc.). There's also a market in Ester on Thursdays.

Just want to let people coming to Fairbanks know that there is a Farmer's Market on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. It is small and the produce isn't cheap, but there are lots of places to get lunch or a snack and it's a great place to pick up a locally-made work of art (ceramics, photos, paintings, t-shirts, etc.). There's also a market in Ester on Thursdays.

Is the farmer's market every week ?

The Farmer's Market is every week thru mid-September. No, the Gold Camp is still closed and is for sale. The Malemute Saloon is open thru mid-July with no show or entertainment (but cheap beer) in order to meet the conditions of their liquor license. The Golden Eagle is Ester is pretty much the local bar there.

Archived