New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

All my solo cruises to date have been on Carnival and mostly in 1a. However once the incentive is removed I will not walk away from Carnival totally but will book whatever cruise line offers me the most bang for my buck.

:mad:

I've never cruised solo but have been looking into it recently. If this is true I won't be able to go solo. Guess I better start hitting up some girlfriends to go with me. :p I just hate trying to orchestrate a group. :(

Me too..I love to go with friends...it's hard enough for partners and families to agree...singles presents more issues..we will still find "deals" and with the ageing of boomers ( I'm at end of boomers) I still think they will need to do more for solo's..like Epic..etc. for mainstream cruises.

Oh this made me:( and:mad:...now I must:) and think of the options..

Thanks again OP. And all..sjn911 Sarah

I have always cruised solo but with a large group on carnival because of the single discount they offer like some one else posted there are only a small number of 1a on each ship so they are not loosing that much money on us .. and with this move i think they stand to loose more money I for one will look at other cruise lines if i have to pay double and get a better room. The epic is looking better for a future cruise . I find it hard to find someone who wants to cruise because of schedules and available vacation time plus you have to be good freinds with someone to share such a small space for a week and remain freinds at the end of a cruise . I hope they change there minds on this

I have been planning a second cruise before my first cruise was completed. Because that second cruise is so far in the future I’ve been holding off making reservations. Well thank goodness for this thread. The information here IS CONFIRMED. I read all the thread up until this point and decided I better make my reservations. Before asking, my Carnival PVP volunteered to me, “Just in time.”! I asked what she meant by that, as if I didn’t know. She told me that "solo cruises in 1A cabins are going to %200 starting at the first of the week." That’s not all, I punched in the same solo cruise on the web site while I was reading this thread and it wouldn’t let me book at the rate I’ve seen 15 times under the same criteria across the last 3 weeks. Instead, today, the numbers came up $30 a head higher. So, while I was on the phone with Carnival, I made the lady give me the rate I saw on the web site this morning, not the $30 (+50%) higher rate the web site quoted me after I started reading this thread an hour ago.

The rest of you might want to check other cruises you’ve been considering. I doubt Carnival is just signaling out us solos. As it were, the quotes I’ve been getting for booking the identical October 2011 cruise was already $90 higher than the identical cruise I booked 2 months ago for a cruise 6 months in advance for October 2010.

My identical 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise for solo cabin 1A category:

October 2010 $613.29

October 2011 $721.05

This same cruise starting Monday will be apx: I'll post on Monday

Just spoke to my aunt who plans our freinds and family cruise . I told her about the single rate going away cause she was planning out Feb 2011 cruise and there was gonna be five single this time because four of her freinds had lost there husband in the last two years . she said she will be calling the trvel agent back to look at RCCL for rates . She books 16 to 20 cabins each time so i guess carnival just lost more money

Well, this is disappointing, but not surprised by this action. 5 of my 13 cruises on Carnival have been solo. As some have said, Carnival has the right to increase revenue. Carnival has been slowly changing over the past couple of years and not always for the better.

The one thing I like to do is get away and cruising with Carnival provided that option. Carnival used to be my top option, and if this goes into effect, will have to pay more or look elsewhere.

Bottom line: Carnival does not care whether or not I sail with them. They simply believe that someone else will happily take my place and they are probably right. They have been slowly telling me that over the past few years.

We will see how this new policy works and they may be last minute specials for solos. However; I think the change will be permanent.

Up until now I've spilt my vacations between cruises and all inclusives. If Carnival charges me 200% for a 1A cabin they won't see my business ever again. They make much more off me from the excursions and alcohol than the cabin but it's looking like they don't want the solo cruisers business anymore. Looks like it's all inclusive vacations for me from now on if I can't find another cruise line without paying double.

I've been on three solo cruises with Carnival in the past two years and loved them but this definetly turned me away from Carnival. Does anyone know if RCCL or Norweigen has discounts for singles?

I am booked as a single this year and was thinking about making it an annual thing. But I guess Royal Caribbean or NCL will be who I will cruise with. I live in CT so NY or NJ is where I cruise from. If I have to pay the full price I might as well cruise on a line that has more to do onboard. The price is not that Different.

Up until now I've spilt my vacations between cruises and all inclusives. If Carnival charges me 200% for a 1A cabin they won't see my business ever again. They make much more off me from the excursions and alcohol than the cabin but it's looking like they don't want the solo cruisers business anymore. Looks like it's all inclusive vacations for me from now on if I can't find another cruise line without paying double.

I've been on three solo cruises with Carnival in the past two years and loved them but this definetly turned me away from Carnival. Does anyone know if RCCL or Norweigen has discounts for singles?

New NCL Epic has single cabins with their own lounge....tiny but hey...no double fees!!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=481

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3634 Actual solo page.

I found out about the increase from 150% to 200% yesterday by a call from my PVP who knew I was considering booking soon as a single...I am glad he called because I was able to book today at the 150%...like others have been told, the price change will be effective for bookings made starting Monday, June 7

I understand supply and demand and the market forces, so if Carnival thinks this change will positively impact their bottom line, no one can blame them or claim it's "unfair"...likewise, the free market means that we as consumers can choose whether to cruise or not or which cruise lines we choose to give our business to

as others have posted, I think the bad publicity and alienation of a growing demographic market (singles) is going to negatively impact Carnival in ways that won't be immediately recognized...sjn11 pointed out that there aren't that many 1a cabins to which the 150% applies, so how much revenue can Carnival truly be losing on each sailing? :confused: as single cruisers opt to book land vacations instead or to book other cruise lines, Carnival will lose a loyalty base...in many cases, today's single cruisers will become couples cruisers...and some of those couples cruisers could eventually become cruisers with families

How about the single grandparents who often choose to take along extended families on cruises? That's another loyalty group they might lose...in any case, Carnival is a business, and I am sure they see this as a business-based decision to increase overall revenues...if it turns out to be a bad business decision, it is their shareholders who will lose out

and, by the way, I won't waste my time writing to Carnival, because I don't think it will do any good whatsoever

I've never cruised solo but have been looking into it recently. If this is true I won't be able to go solo. Guess I better start hitting up some girlfriends to go with me. :p I just hate trying to orchestrate a group. :(

sara: I tried to add a ticker from ucruiser like you have, and I keep getting an invalid file type when I try to add it to my signature here...did you have problems?

I am booked as a single this year and was thinking about making it an annual thing. But I guess Royal Caribbean or NCL will be who I will cruise with. I live in CT so NY or NJ is where I cruise from. If I have to pay the full price I might as well cruise on a line that has more to do onboard. The price is not that Different.

Its funny, I always said if Carnival was the same price as other cruise lines most people wouldn't be sailing Carnival. Though I'm not a solo cruiser, the whole "best value" mantra that I always hear from Carnival is wearing thin and I feel the same way.

I think NCL's single cabins and a special lounge reserved for the guests in those cabins was absolutely brilliant. I feel horrible for all you solo cruisers, but now is a great time to explore other options :D

I found out about the increase from 150% to 200% yesterday by a call from my PVP who knew I was considering booking soon as a single...I am glad he called because I was able to book today at the 150%...like others have been told, the price change will be effective for bookings made starting Monday, June 7

I understand supply and demand and the market forces, so if Carnival thinks this change will positively impact their bottom line, no one can blame them or claim it's "unfair"...likewise, the free market means that we as consumers can choose whether to cruise or not or which cruise lines we choose to give our business to

as others have posted, I think the bad publicity and alienation of a growing demographic market (singles) is going to negatively impact Carnival in ways that won't be immediately recognized...sjn11 pointed out that there aren't that many 1a cabins to which the 150% applies, so how much revenue can Carnival truly be losing on each sailing? :confused: as single cruisers opt to book land vacations instead or to book other cruise lines, Carnival will lose a loyalty base...in many cases, today's single cruisers will become couples cruisers...and some of those couples cruisers could eventually become cruisers with families

How about the single grandparents who often choose to take along extended families on cruises? That's another loyalty group they might lose...in any case, Carnival is a business, and I am sure they see this as a business-based decision to increase overall revenues...if it turns out to be a bad business decision, it is their shareholders who will lose out

and, by the way, I won't waste my time writing to Carnival, because I don't think it will do any good whatsoever

Prayers to Louisiana and you make good comments and points..letters to Carnival on this would just be to use a cowboy phrase..."spitting in the wind."

But for the same now $2000.00 plus bucks I can really do a great solo land vacation...cruises are not everything and I hope longer term and demographics will change things..especially for family trips as you mentioned...oh this is a real bummer to me but trying to see how it just gives me more options..no longer have to do the most budget thing because it is no longer a budget option..especially with what I have to pay for air...hotel/air packages will be better!!! Savy solo tavellers will still travel well!!!

Its funny, I always said if Carnival was the same price as other cruise lines most people wouldn't be sailing Carnival. Though I'm not a solo cruiser, the whole "best value" mantra that I always hear from Carnival is wearing thin and I feel the same way.

I think NCL's single cabins and a special lounge reserved for the guests in those cabins was absolutely brilliant. I feel horrible for all you solo cruisers, but now is a great time to explore other options :D

Thanks and you betcha..we will find options!!!:);)

I'm writing to John Heald and I hope you all do, too.

(DONE, and I hope you all write to John and Carnival, too).

He's gone on vacation starting today so not sure when he will see it.

The category 1A solo price is what has kept solo cruising economical for me. I'll be on the lookout for John's response.

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

As a frequent solo cruiser I think this SUCKS!!! I try to economize where possible and getting a good price on a 1A allows me to cruise solo without breaking the bank (and paying for someone who isn't there!). I guess Carnival is losin some revenue (as there is only one person in the cabin) so they have changed their pricing on these cabins. I know that not all of these cabins are conducive for 'couples' so they are not that popular. Wonder if they will still be as popular?:confused:

Any others out there who think this is a bad idea on Carnival's part? (I am considering writing them to voice my complaints but sounds like a done deal!):(

I think they should create a few solo cabins on each ship. It's not right that you have to pay for two people.

NCL Epic has studio cabins for singles, no single supplement at all! So does Tradewinds Cruise Club!

I backpack for 95% of my vacations. 200 miles of gas to the Grand Canyon and a $20 permit. Even though I can afford it just fine, cruising is an absolute luxury for my lifestyle. I will look at NCL to see what they are doing. $799 for one person to cruise with them doesn't help much if $369 is what %150 cost me with Carnival. Anyway, two things. I booked another solo %150 1A cruise with Carnival this morning and when that is gone, I'll be sleeping under the stars in the Grand Canyon again. No sleep lost at all.

sara: I tried to add a ticker from ucruiser like you have, and I keep getting an invalid file type when I try to add it to my signature here...did you have problems?

I think I did have problems I just kept trying till it worked.

This news is CRAZY...............

I love to Cruise..

I am a Solo/Single Cruiser...

Most of my Cruises, I have been Solo...

I book the 1-A Cabins to save money.....

I do BTBs & BTBTBs..........

I guess I won't be going on any

of the new Big Ships Dream,ECT:::::

I'll stay with the Fantasy Class.

Old Ships are cheaper............

I am taking a 5 night September cruise solo in a 1A Cabin. My fare is:

CRUISE RATE $478.50

Gov't Fees & Taxes $77.33

Total Amount $555.83

If I booked for 2 people, it would be much more:

CRUISE RATE $638.00

Gov't Fees & Taxes $154.66

Total Amount $792.66

If I still remember my math from high school, it's 70% of the rate for 2 people. And I pay 1.4% more per person than if 2 people were going.

Per Person Rate Solo: $555.83

Per Person Rate Double: $396.33

I think I'm getting a fair deal. I wind up saving significant money by sailing by myself. I get a room, transportation, meals, and entertainment for a little more than $100 per night. There is no land based equivalent for such a nice trip.

I am taking a 5 night September cruise solo in a 1A Cabin. My fare is:

CRUISE RATE $478.50

Gov't Fees & Taxes $77.33

Total Amount $555.83

If I booked for 2 people, it would be much more:

CRUISE RATE $638.00

Gov't Fees & Taxes $154.66

Total Amount $792.66

If I still remember my math from high school, it's 70% of the rate for 2 people. And I pay 1.4% more per person than if 2 people were going.

Per Person Rate Solo: $555.83

Per Person Rate Double: $396.33

I think I'm getting a fair deal. I wind up saving significant money by sailing by myself. I get a room, transportation, meals, and entertainment for a little more than $100 per night. There is no land based equivalent for such a nice trip.

What Ship.............??

When I am searching for a Cruise deal.

If I can find a deal a $100 or little more a day

I feel I am getting a good deal...................

Archived