Cruise Critic Community
dcherry

"gifts" for cabin stewards, etc?

You are? I'm not. You think a pen is impractical? I don't.

I didn't understand that either mommabean.

A pen impractical? :confused:

The reference to room size. :confused:

A pen is not impractical - a nice pen that you are afraid to lose is impractical. You know how many pens a day a server goes through?

Room Size? Cabin Size. Sorry for the incorrect terminology.

I was not questioning the use of the term 'room'. I was questioning the reference to room/cabin size in relation to receiving a pen as a gift and having no room to store it there.

Still puzzled by that. ???

I also wouldn't use a "nice" pen that I had received as a gift in the MDR. It would be for personal use. I know how pens can disappear on the job.

can i bake some macaroons and package them to give as gifts? i would have flown with them in my suitcase first... thanks

can i bake some macaroons and package them to give as gifts? i would have flown with them in my suitcase first... thanks

Yes, as long as you drop them off to the Explorer of the Seas in Bayonne on Feb. 24th! I'll be the redhead waiting in front of the ship :D:p

A pen is not impractical - a nice pen that you are afraid to lose is impractical. You know how many pens a day a server goes through?

Room Size? Cabin Size. Sorry for the incorrect terminology.

Yes, heaven forbid that some lowly service person have something "nice," especially if it's something like a pen that takes up so much of the limited space in your room/cabin. :p

There really isn’t any way for you to tell if they like the gift or not.

They will react the same way just to please you.

And keep in mind; the room steward cleans your room and perhaps 10 others. The average cruise might be say 8 days.

So in a 6 month contract will be about 22 cruises.

So that will be about 22 x 10 = 220 different customers.

Do you really think the cabin steward is going to remember who gave him a pen?

Yes, heaven forbid that some lowly service person have something "nice," especially if it's something like a pen that takes up so much of the limited space in your room/cabin. :p

I've been given some nice pens over the years. I use none of them. I might not misplace them in the office but if it is in my pocket and happens to make the trip with me over to the hospital chances are it will be history.

I read this other thread a few weeks ago about a "gift" that was left on the floor of the cabin near the corner of the bed and the steward missed it. Turns out the "gift" was received by the next guest and they weren't happy about it.

Good times, that thread.

I don't think that "gift" in quotes was what the OP meant. I think they actually meant a gift, because "gift" means something that isn't a gift at all, but something opposite of the definition of a gift.

Appropriate use of quotation marks is a talent lost on so many.

"Gift" - Abraham Lincoln (a direct quote, but why he only used one word we don't know)

The head nurse gave her the "gift" of a punch in the jaw. (something opposite of what the word actually means, usually used with irony or for comedic value)

Edited by poncho1973

In answering all the posts where I have been quoted, I have been pretending not to notice the snarki-ness to my OPINION about money being the most practical of "gifts" - but, although it was fun, I'm done "playing"

Those of you who feel good giving things the staff may or may not want or need, will continue to do so - those of us who feel cash is best, will continue to give the universally acceptable, most usable, gift that takes up no space.

Please note: No where in my posts have I called these wonderful friendly people "lowly service personnel" nor have I condescended to their home life or income status.

However, I am betting no matter the status or home of origin is of the person you are "gifting" - whether on a cruise or at home - unless you truly know the tastes and wants and needs of the person - it's hard to hit on a useful gift.

Pretty things are nice - but practically, when you live in a cabin and get little time off to enjoy taking your nice gift out for a "spin" - trinketing is silly.

That's MY OPINION - and it's valid.

But, hey. Yours is too.

Edited by 1cat4jan

In answering all the posts where I have been quoted, I have been pretending not to notice the snarki-ness to my OPINION about money being the most practical of "gifts" - but, although it was fun, I'm done "playing".

The little tongue-sticking-out smiley face was supposed to indicate that I was just teasing you. But, I suppose not everyone interprets those things the same way. I actually agree with you that it is much more practical to give extra cash than some sort of gift or trinket.

But....if you are intent on giving a gift, I don't see a pen as being particularly impractical or space-requiring. Even if it's a "nice" pen.

We always pre pay our gratuities (thanks to an awesome TA). On top of that, we always take some hershey kisses for a bowl on the table and tell them on day one to help themselves. At the end of the cruise, I give them extra $$ that they don't have to "pool" and what's left in the bowl of chocolate. It's definitely been appreciated every time.

I always read the " gifts for stewards" threads for the entertainment value as it's sometimes amazing what people want to give or the reasoning behind it.:D I don't think I have ever seen a determined gift giver change their mind and say, "ok, now I see what all of you are saying, extra cash is the way to go even though the stewards always appreciate the junk I've given them in the past".

In the end, the cash people will continue to give extra cash and the gift givers will continue to give that "stuff".:p