Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drew358

Norwegian Spirit Review 1/30-2/4

This was the second cruise that I have ever taken and the first on Norwegian. My previous cruise was on the Celebrity Summit for 11 days so all of the comparisons that I made on this cruise were based upon what I experienced on the Summit. We stayed in Suite 10502 and despite my request to Lisa, we had Denny as our butler. I apologize for the lack of organization of this review, but I wanted to get as much of it down while it is still fresh in my mind.

The ship was very unique with the decor although I found that some of the furniture (obviously built for the Asian market) was a little small.

Windows and the Garden room food was good overall, although it wasn't as good as I had experienced on Celebrity. Raffles was mediocre at best. The shogun was the only other resturant that we ate at and found it to be very good.

The entertainment on the ship overall was very good, much better then Celebrity, although David Heenan (the comedian) left a lot to be desired. The magician was an excellent performer.

Roatan was beautiful, once outside of the port. I remember someone mentioning that it was the worst place that they have ever been, and I can see that if they stayed in the port area and were solicited non-stop while trying to get to the shops. Once past all of that, however, the rest of the island is probably the best that I have been to.

Grand Cayman had I believe 5 ships in port the day that we were there. The island is looking much better then it did about 4 months ago during our last visit. The place was packed with tourists and made Roatan much more appealing because of the lack of it being so commercialized. Overall, it was a pleasant island.

The staff overall was pleasant, I found that they were much better on Celebrity, however. Our butler was a dissappointment. We had one on Celebrity (Rodrick), who was excellent. He made sure that you felt that anything he could do to make the trip better for you he would. I think that I saw Denny only three times the entire cruise, although I did not use his services that much, it seemed that he did the bare minimum. Our request for Maxi was turned down due to "issues" in the past of switching butlers. Apparently they will no longer allow this practice. Lisa, the conceirge, was excellent. She was very happy and upbeat. She is going on vacation for almost 10 weeks, starting this week. Her replacement, Claudio seemed very good, though.

The ship felt very full. It was crowded around the pools and people were up to the usual tricks of reserving a seat with a towel and a book, bag, etc. I found a seat and was there for almost an hour and a half before my wife showed up and took the seat the was next to me (towel, book, empty the entire time I was there) and layed down for about a half hour before the owner of the book showed up and demanded her seat back. That was really upsetting and Norwegian really has to do something about this issue. Celebrity removes your towel if you are gone for more then 20 minutes. Apparently this is Norwegian's policy, but they don't follow through with it.

The gym was too small in my opinion, and the equipment is starting to become a bit dated.

The cruise director, Ricki, was excellent. That must be a tough job to have to be on everyday for 6 months at a time and continously upbeat.

The cruise overall was a good experience, but at this point I'm not sure if I would cruise on Norwegian again. I found Celebrity to be better in many aspects (besides entertainment), but it is also more expensive.

I am cruising on the Spirit Feb 13-18. What time did you board? and were there any guests already on board. I cannot seem to find out as I arrive in Miami Airport at 11:30am. Hate to get to the pier and fight all the mess with everyone departing the ship. Thanks for any info.

Thank you for your review.

Could you please tell us what you did in Roatan and Grand Cayman?

We will be in a Penthouse... Any tips on making this experience REALLY good. It is our first time with a butler.

Thanks again.

We arrived at the pier around three and were onboard by 3:30. Most of the crowd was gone by the time we boarded. We did the the Stingray City and Reef snorkeling tour in Grand Cayman. This was the second time that we did this tour and enjoyed it both times. Other people love to shop in Grand Cayman, but I'm not too much of a shopper, so I can't really judge.

I would highly recomend a shore excursion in Roatan. We did the canopy tour and Gimbalamba park (sp.?) (swinging from one tree to another) and really enjoyed it, but that trip isn't for everyone. There are a large number of people outside the fence at the pier that offer cab rides to tour the island that seemed to be at a reasonable price.

Both butlers on this ship I believe are being transferred to different ships by the end of this cruise. The new concierge, Claudio, seemed to be very good. He gave me his buisness card to tour the Norwegian Jewel when it is the NY port for three days this fall.

The cruise was enjoyable and depending on what you like to do, either get a chair by the pool before 9 AM or plan on doing other activities during the day. If you want to avoid the crowds, I enjoyed reading in the Galaxy of the Stars during the day (not during bingo), because it was so quiet, relaxing and deserted.

I would also recommend eating before 6:30 to avoid long waiting times for dinner, unless you eat at a speciality resturant. If you have a butler, he can always serve your dinner in your stateroom.

We arrived at the pier around three and were onboard by 3:30. Most of the crowd was gone by the time we boarded. We did the the Stingray City and Reef snorkeling tour in Grand Cayman. This was the second time that we did this tour and enjoyed it both times. Other people love to shop in Grand Cayman, but I'm not too much of a shopper, so I can't really judge.

I would highly recomend a shore excursion in Roatan. We did the canopy tour and Gimbalamba park (sp.?) (swinging from one tree to another) and really enjoyed it, but that trip isn't for everyone. There are a large number of people outside the fence at the pier that offer cab rides to tour the island that seemed to be at a reasonable price.

Both butlers on this ship I believe are being transferred to different ships by the end of this cruise. The new concierge, Claudio, seemed to be very good. He gave me his buisness card to tour the Norwegian Jewel when it is the NY port for three days this fall.

The cruise was enjoyable and depending on what you like to do, either get a chair by the pool before 9 AM or plan on doing other activities during the day. If you want to avoid the crowds, I enjoyed reading in the Galaxy of the Stars during the day (not during bingo), because it was so quiet, relaxing and deserted.

I would also recommend eating before 6:30 to avoid long waiting times for dinner, unless you eat at a speciality resturant. If you have a butler, he can always serve your dinner in your stateroom.

Could you please tell me why the Canopy Tour is not for everyone. I like a thrill but not to the point of being terrified and I do have a small issue with heights. Thanks.

Sorry, a couple more questions... Do you have Freestyle Dailies that you would be willing to share? Was there a CC Get Together for your sailing and did you go? Is there a Chocolate Buffet on the five day sailing and if so, what day and time?

Thanks again.

The Canopy tour requires some physically exertion, however there were people in their 70's that went on this tour. We loved it, it was a thrill and the park afterwords was a lot of fun. The park had birds and monkeys that you were able to play with as well as a turkey that will attack you if you get too close. If you don't look down, I think that you will be alright. The highest point is 45 feet above ground, but it is very safe.

Unfortunately, due to a water bottle accident, the Dailies were destroyed and therfore thrown out. The 9 day dailies that are posted on a different thread are similar to the typical activities that happened on the 5 day. The Chocoholic Buffet was on the second to last night of the cruise. It was a bit of a dissapointment because of the lack of quality some of the chocolate had.

We had a "Meet the Captain" night on Wednesday of the cruise. I enjoyed this immensley; we didn't have this opportunity on the Celebrity cruise. There were free cocktails and appetizers. I ended up speaking to Lisa (concierge) and Claudio (new concierge during Lisa's vacation) the entire time and were the last people to leave. We almost made Lisa late to the Norwegian production show that all of the cruise staff go to.

I think that Claudio will be a good replacement for her, but she was the most upbeat person I met on the entire cruise. Claudio will be stationed on the Jewel when it is launched later this year.

The Canopy tour requires some physically exertion, however there were people in their 70's that went on this tour. We loved it, it was a thrill and the park afterwords was a lot of fun. The park had birds and monkeys that you were able to play with as well as a turkey that will attack you if you get too close. If you don't look down, I think that you will be alright. The highest point is 45 feet above ground, but it is very safe.

Unfortunately, due to a water bottle accident, the Dailies were destroyed and therfore thrown out. The 9 day dailies that are posted on a different thread are similar to the typical activities that happened on the 5 day. The Chocoholic Buffet was on the second to last night of the cruise. It was a bit of a dissapointment because of the lack of quality some of the chocolate had.

We had a "Meet the Captain" night on Wednesday of the cruise. I enjoyed this immensley; we didn't have this opportunity on the Celebrity cruise. There were free cocktails and appetizers. I ended up speaking to Lisa (concierge) and Claudio (new concierge during Lisa's vacation) the entire time and were the last people to leave. We almost made Lisa late to the Norwegian production show that all of the cruise staff go to.

I think that Claudio will be a good replacement for her, but she was the most upbeat person I met on the entire cruise. Claudio will be stationed on the Jewel when it is launched later this year.

Thanks for all your help!

Was the Meet the Captain night because you are Latitudes Members, a CC Get Together, because you were in a Penthouse?

Our past experience with the Chocolate Buffet is generally o.k. but we love the chocolate dipped fruit.

The meet the Captain night was for all VIP and suite guests. There were only about 30 people plus staff at the gathering. We were invited because we were in a penthouse.

The meet the Captain night was for all VIP and suite guests. There were only about 30 people plus staff at the gathering. We were invited because we were in a penthouse.

So cool, we are in a penthouse too. Thanks. The anticipation is so great!

So cool, we are in a penthouse too. Thanks. The anticipation is so great!

We will be on the February 27th Spirit cruise too -- also in one of the Penhouse Suites - #10000. Which one will you be in? Respond directly to driker4@comcast.net.

Denny was our butler on the Alaskan cruise. We loved him and are hoping we'll get him again. Have to wait until February 27 to see if he's still on the Spirit. If not, we wish him well. He was very good to us.:)

Denny was our butler on the Alaskan cruise. We loved him and are hoping we'll get him again. Have to wait until February 27 to see if he's still on the Spirit. If not, we wish him well. He was very good to us.:)

Hi Sandpepples, Good to see you here again. I have been hoping you guys would change your mind about meeting us at a CC Get Together. We are hoping for a good turnout, some free drinks (maybe!) and minimally to meet some Officers. Many have said they enjoy this! Go to the Roll Call, a couple more people have joined in.

Hi, CruisingfromMN! Our vacation is getting closer and closer. It's all very exciting.

I checked the roll calls and saw that others were committing. I'm very glad about this because you are really working hard to get people to come to the CC meeting.

My husband and I are traveling with another couple. All of us are very friendly, and I'm determined to meet you! However, no one wants to commit to any particular time frame on anything unless it involves an excursion.

So, somehow, I'm sure we'll figure out how to meet each other. You have been so informative and helpful to all of us on the boards.

See you soon!

Sandpebbles :)

Hi, CruisingfromMN! Our vacation is getting closer and closer. It's all very exciting.

I checked the roll calls and saw that others were committing. I'm very glad about this because you are really working hard to get people to come to the CC meeting.

My husband and I are traveling with another couple. All of us are very friendly, and I'm determined to meet you! However, no one wants to commit to any particular time frame on anything unless it involves an excursion.

So, somehow, I'm sure we'll figure out how to meet each other. You have been so informative and helpful to all of us on the boards.

See you soon!

Sandpebbles :)

Hi Sandpebbles,

What I will do is let you know (via Roll Call) when and IF we get something scheduled. Then, if you can make it great and if not, we know you are off having fun doing something else. Most probably we are looking to schedule after breakfast and before lunch on Monday. I think the Latitudes Party is Monday afternoon so I don't want to conflict with that.

Believe it or not, packing starts for me this weekend because starting Monday, we will be extremely busy with our business right up to the time we leave. So, planning on starting to figure out what I'm bringing along now. I can't stand being rushed and pressured in the packing process, especially because I end up bringing too much. I hate overpacking!!!!

Talk to you soon...

Hi Drew, what type of suite are you in as we are in a suite like yourselves A/C, their dont be to much on the A/C suites

Hi Drew, what type of suite are you in as we are in a suite like yourselves A/C, their dont be to much on the A/C suites

Suite 10502 that Drew stayed in is an AB.

Drew358, I've got a question I hope you can answer. In Roatan, you mention that you did the canopy and Gimbalamba (sp?) park. I thought the canopy ride was right next to Tabyana beach. We wanted to do the Tabayana beach thing and also see the monkeys and birds at Gimbalamba (sp?) park. (We weren't planning on the canopy ride.) Is Gimbalamba park near Tabyana beach or did you have to use a taxi? Thanks!