Cruise Critic Community
mrsafety

Ruby is a different ship, but not for the good

There are too many rules on the Ruby that are different then the policies of the cruise line. Someone needs to really investigate why the ships crew feels they can change policy of the line to suit this ship? When you read the different threads you see a problem with the different enforcement of policies that originate from the officers of the Ruby Princess.

Karen and Jamie

:confused: Can you be more specific, please? I've been on five different Princess ships and the only difference with Ruby that I noticed was regarding formal night attire in the specialty restaurants. And since the Ruby is the only one I've been on since the "smart casual in specialty restaurant on formal night" debate, I don't know for sure how the other ships are handling it.

It seems that on the Ruby they try to enforce a formal dress code for the specialty restaurants on formal nights in the MDR and Anytime Dining Rooms.

Princess policy (per their website and the emails they send out pre-cruise) say that the specialty restaurants are always smart casual, even on formal nights.

Here are two places on the Princess website that explain their policy on smart casual clothing being appropriate on Formal Nights in the Specialty Restaurants.

1) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Dining & Nightlife” under the Onboard section.

Scroll down to the “Casual Dining Venues” and click on the + sign.

It states the following:

“When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.”

2) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Onboard Experience” under the Onboard section.

Click on the + sign next to “Onboard Atmosphere”

Read the first bullet point that again states that on Formal Nights the dress code should be observed in the Main Dining Room and Anytime Dining Rooms. Not included are the Specialty Restaurants. So Smart Casual is the dress code in the Specialty Restaurants, even on Formal Nights.

It states the following:

“When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.”

mrsafety

Please give details if you are going to criticise. I noted the same on your thread on formal nights. You criticise management but don't give details.

It really is quite simple:

1) If you want to eat in a Specialty Restaurant on the Ruby take a copy of the email with you and present it to the Maitre D' (if you want that stress in your life) and demand to be seated dressed smart casual.

2) Eat at a different area that allows smart casual dress.

3) Dress formally and eat in the Specialty Restaurant.

4) Don't sail on the Ruby.

5) Contact Princess rather than Cruise Critic and file a complaint with them.

Simple --- easy peasy.

We've been on 17 Princess cruises.... 3 on the Ruby... and I can't think of a single thing that stands out and is worth writing in the forum that supports your criticism.

Were you looking to find things wrong?? Can you give some examples of "There are too many rules on the Ruby that are different" ??

Edited by BobT172

We loved Ruby, as much as Caribbean Princess. :)

Didn't notice anything different except for design.

I don't really think the rules (aka guidelines) were any different than on any other Princess ships I've been on, but no matter I just follow the dress of the day unless circumstances prevent me from doing so.

Beware the smaller ships, they definitely enforce the dress codes, at least in my experience!

I do hope you had a wonderful cruise barring the dress code enforcement. The Ruby is a lovely adventure in and of herself!

VB1

I don't really think the rules (aka guidelines) were any different than on any other Princess ships I've been on, but no matter I just follow the dress of the day unless circumstances prevent me from doing so.

Beware the smaller ships, they definitely enforce the dress codes, at least in my experience!

I do hope you had a wonderful cruise barring the dress code enforcement. The Ruby is a lovely adventure in and of herself!

VB1

The problem isn't dress code enforcement. The problem is a rogue maitre d who is enforcing a rule that doesn't exist. I hope everyone prints out the policy and hands it to him until he gets with the program.

The problem isn't dress code enforcement. The problem is a rogue maitre d who is enforcing a rule that doesn't exist. I hope everyone prints out the policy and hands it to him until he gets with the program.

I just hope they don't start enforcing all of their "guidelines," since I like to bring more than one bottle of wine or champagne onboard! :D Not printing that one out to help them...:D

VB1

I just hope they don't start enforcing all of their "guidelines," since I like to bring more than one bottle of wine or champagne onboard! :D Not printing that one out to help them...:D

VB1

The Passage Contract does not limit how much wine or champagne you can bring on board. No other alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard.

Here is what the Passage Contract states:

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption."

They put no limits on how much wine or champagne you can bring on the ship.

The Passage Contract does not limit how much wine or champagne you can bring on board. No other alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard.

Here is what the Passage Contract states:

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption."

They put no limits on how much wine or champagne you can bring on the ship.

I thought I was being a rebel--go figure? :D

VB1

Why is the thought that it is a "Rogue Maitre d'" rather than Princess Market Research?

Why is the thought that it is a "Rogue Maitre d'" rather than Princess Market Research?

He is rogue because Princess explains that the restaurant is casual, even on formal nights. If all it takes for him to NOT to require formal attire is a print out of the policy, then he is rogue because he knows the rule and requires passengers to produce a printout. It is beyond rogue. It's silly and arbitrary.

Why do you think this is market research when every other ship's maitre d for the Crown Grill follows the guidelines?

As for the enforcements of other rules, I believe the ships in the line are consistent. The entire line is liberal in terms of enforcing alcohol policy and other policies that may not be consistent with written policy.

Duck Duck:

I tend to enjoy the formal nights with a Tux, as my woman (DW) likes that.... ok, maybe I'm old-fashioned for a 55 year old, but, I still like it. There are plenty of places to go if you want to wear shorts or whatever, but the specialty restaurants and “normal’ dining rooms 'should' be formal. Enjoy the trip and the cruise, and have a good time. Plenty of places to eat if not into dressing up for the 'function', but also very fun if you do...

VB1 - I too bring on at least 4 bottles of Wine and maybe one or so of 'something' else....never had an issue -- maybe because I wear nice cloths to dinner and formal wear for formal night? naw...... it's just that Princess is nice and understanding to peoples choices... right?

Dan

Edited by Pythian

Duck Duck.....

I mis-read your post, and we seem to agree.... I mis-quoted... I suppose it would be MrSafety I should have replied to.... so, I bow my head (in shame....) and ask forgiveness if you took my comment wrong, as I see you straight forward said to 'go somewhere else" if you felt you didn't want to participate in formal nights....

I could not agree stronger, and as you said, if "you" want that stress, then take the email (or whatever) and show it to the Maitre D' if you really want to sit in a formal dining room in shorts and t'shirt.

(VB1 -- Ok, I read that right, right?)

Dan

Someones going to be carrying alot of policies on paper with them. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone want a confrontation while on vacation?

I think the policy needs changing fleetwide. All the ships should follow the Ruby's maitre d's example. The specialty restaurants are a place for fine dining--special occasions. I've seen men wear jackets and ties in them on nonformal nights. I certainly would expect to see that on formal nights in them.

I think the policy needs changing fleetwide. All the ships should follow the Ruby's maitre d's example. The specialty restaurants are a place for fine dining--special occasions. I've seen men wear jackets and ties in them on nonformal nights. I certainly would expect to see that on formal nights in them.

This above comment is very timely since I mentioned eating at the Crown Grill to my traveling companion on my cruise in July. He just assumed we had to dress some-what formally based on my description of the type of restaurant! :) Since it is a Bermuda/Caribbean cruise, I hoping a long-sleeved shirt and khakis will be OK on a smart casual night in the Crown Grill.

We have sailed the Ruby three times and have found it to be one of the best ships in the fleet;. The Captain and Maitre De Hotel are both exceptional people and bend over backwards to saisfy you.

You are all doing a great job debating amidst yourselves. To bad the OP hasn't been back to share in the fun!

It really is quite simple:

1) If you want to eat in a Specialty Restaurant on the Ruby take a copy of the email with you and present it to the Maitre D' (if you want that stress in your life) and demand to be seated dressed smart casual.

2) Eat at a different area that allows smart casual dress.

3) Dress formally and eat in the Specialty Restaurant.

4) Don't sail on the Ruby.

5) Contact Princess rather than Cruise Critic and file a complaint with them.

Simple --- easy peasy.

Quite simple, isn't it.....:):):)

Bob