Ruby is a different ship, but not for the good

mrsafety

And how does that differ from having 600 people who wanted early traditional along with those who wanted anytime lining up at the same time for dinner?

Well, one difference is that assigning the tables/seats to Traditional ties them up--even if the people are not there (ashore, buffet, specialty dining, other). While I haven't done Traditional dining for a while, it is my understanding that there are often a significant number of empty seats in Traditional. Not a good argument for tying up more tables/seats.

There are too many rules on the Ruby that are different then the policies of the cruise line. Someone needs to really investigate why the ships crew feels they can change policy of the line to suit this ship? When you read the different threads you see a problem with the different enforcement of policies that originate from the officers of the Ruby Princess.

Karen and Jamie

The OP must be having a good laugh. 50 replies to the thread, yet the OP never did explain what their issues were. A lot of mind readers out there.

I think the policy needs changing fleetwide. All the ships should follow the Ruby's maitre d's example. The specialty restaurants are a place for fine dining--special occasions. I've seen men wear jackets and ties in them on nonformal nights. I certainly would expect to see that on formal nights in them.

I beg to differ with you on this.After bringing formal wear on over 30 cruises,we decided to try something different.We have taken 4 cruises dressing smart casual and go to Sabatini's and Crown Grill on every cruise.We have met many people that just got tired of the formal nights and prefer the casual attire.This gives us another option,other than the buffet.It seems that the hardest nights to get reservations in the specialty restaurants is on formal nights as others have adopted a similiar outlook.

I have cruised 30 plus times. My last 5 cruises and my next 2 are all booked on The Ruby Princess.

I have found very little to complain about (one guy who ran the Internet cafe last year was horrid) and I love the crew and officers so much, I'm now spoiled for any other ship.

If the personnel should be sent to the new Princess ship coming out in a couple of years, that's will be where I'm headed.

They will send the "A Team". I'm sure. :)

Ouch....he is one tough cookie, although I don't ever remember reading he was ever on the Ruby. Besides that.......I noticed a couple of jeans/shorts in the MDR on casual nights so if he is so strict about dress, he would have not allowed those folks entrance to the dining room.

He was our Maitre D on the Golden to Hawaii this past year. The folks in Sabatini's said that in their morning meeting he was trying to get all the head waiters to enforce the dress codes and to have Sabatini's and Crown Grill be formal on formal night.

We had made good friends with the head waiter in Sabatini's and brought him our laptop the next morning and showed him the Princess website and also our blog where we had photos of a woman in torn jeans and a gentleman in shorts who ate in the MDR the night before who were allowed entrance and Angelo was at the door and said nothing to them.

Needless to say everyone was able to eat in the Specialty Dining Rooms in smart casual clothing on formal nights, per the Princess website.

Here's a photo of them. There is only one hole on the back of her jeans but several on the front and knees. She was dripping in diamonds also and her table was right behind Angelo's podium.

dress-for-dining1.jpg

The poster wanted a set time. He/she was over number 600 on the waiting list. There were more than enough people to completely fill one of the anytime dining rooms with people who wanted early traditional dining and could not have it.

What "gums up the works" is not changing one of the anytime dining rooms into early traditional for the first seating time when demand is this high.

I really don't think that it can be called "personal choice dining" if you can't get your choice. If there's a long waitlist for traditional dining, that should be a sign that an area be cordoned off so that passengers who want the experience can get it. There shouldn't be 600 passengers forced into anytime dining, imo. There's a reason many of us avoid NCL (well, maybe more than one reason).

Ouch....he is one tough cookie, although I don't ever remember reading he was ever on the Ruby. Besides that.......I noticed a couple of jeans/shorts in the MDR on casual nights so if he is so strict about dress, he would have not allowed those folks entrance to the dining room.

He was not on the Ruby. He was on The Caribbean Princess when DonnaK and I came in contact with him.

We met Angelo on the CB in 2007 and he was very charming. He stopped by our table several nights to chat and he was so kind to our then 7 year old daughter. He loved seeing her dressed up and lamented the fact that so many cruisers don't dress up anymore. That said, we saw some very relaxed interpretations of formal nights on that cruise, so he must not have been too tough about turning away the underdressed at the door. Any news on this OP??? This is all still speculation!

So first let me give you a bit of history, we were on the Emerald in April of 2009 on the southern route, and loved every day. We truly loved our cruise, the crew, and the ship that we were on. The Princess policies were followed by the crew and the passengers and we decided to go on the Ruby in March 2010 when we wanted to do the Eastern route.

As you can see we are going on another Princess cruise in November so we are not fed up with the company, but now time for the problems and let me say that someone else may have had a wonderful time and it was just our luck and opinion.

1. We did dress up for formal nights and ate in the main dining room. We enjoyed both formal nights. We did have a problem the two nights we ate at the steakhouse since I believe that you should at least wear a jacket when at a specialty restaurant which is a notch above cruise casual. The nights that we were there people were in jeans and tee shirts. Not Cool!!

2. When we were on the Emerald we went to the great shows on Princess and were allowed to take pictures without a flash. Before the show the slide came up on the screen NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY and it was followed. Now a year later and the same slide came up on the screen, but then about five minutes before the show there was this announcement to turn off ALL DIGITAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING CAMERAS.

3. We enjoyed the rear pool on the Emerald because it was an adult only pool which allows it to be quiet and more peaceful then the family pools. On the Ruby every day was a mess with children and teens coming back and using the pool with no adult supervision. No one on the Ruby seemed to care, when we asked a deck hand he said it was not his job.

4. Finally at dinner when we ate on the Emerald the asst waiter was always filling our glass or getting another drink you never went dry, well the Ruby you had to constantly had to ask for more drink.

Now I know some of you will find the post offensive, but if you paid $400.00 a day for a hotel room would expect fabulous service and the same should be given to the people who cruise on the ship. I hope you now understand why we feel the way we do and we are both hoping for a better cruise in November.

karen and Jamie:)

I wish my hotel room would also transport me from city to city! And I assume your hotel price includes all meals too.

Now I know some of you will find the post offensive, but if you paid $400.00 a day for a hotel room would expect fabulous service and the same should be given to the people who cruise on the ship.

I may think you are a little picky but at least you gave us details. Thank you.

As you have seen from the posts, the policy is now smart casual in specialty restaurants so no jacket is ok.

No photography is probably because of the rights of the professional dancers but I agree that they should change the sign from no flash photography.

I agree the children in the Lotus Pool is totatally wrong.

I amn used to having the water filled all the time but dont think there is a rule that says they have to. That one is very picky.

I hopethat otherwise you had fabulous service.

He was our Maitre D on the Golden to Hawaii this past year. The folks in Sabatini's said that in their morning meeting he was trying to get all the head waiters to enforce the dress codes and to have Sabatini's and Crown Grill be formal on formal night.

We had made good friends with the head waiter in Sabatini's and brought him our laptop the next morning and showed him the Princess website and also our blog where we had photos of a woman in torn jeans and a gentleman in shorts who ate in the MDR the night before who were allowed entrance and Angelo was at the door and said nothing to them.

Needless to say everyone was able to eat in the Specialty Dining Rooms in smart casual clothing on formal nights, per the Princess website.

Here's a photo of them. There is only one hole on the back of her jeans but several on the front and knees. She was dripping in diamonds also and her table was right behind Angelo's podium.

dress-for-dining1.jpg

was it hawaii night?

We wear dark denim and blazer on casual nights, with no rips or tears and it looks very current and acceptable for city dinning. Think its better then the wrinkle Kakhi pants and Polos, and floral shirts.

Just our opinion

so first let me give you a bit of history, we were on the emerald in april of 2009 on the southern route, and loved every day. We truly loved our cruise, the crew, and the ship that we were on. The princess policies were followed by the crew and the passengers and we decided to go on the ruby in march 2010 when we wanted to do the eastern route.

As you can see we are going on another princess cruise in november so we are not fed up with the company, but now time for the problems and let me say that someone else may have had a wonderful time and it was just our luck and opinion.

1. We did dress up for formal nights and ate in the main dining room. We enjoyed both formal nights. We did have a problem the two nights we ate at the steakhouse since i believe that you should at least wear a jacket when at a specialty restaurant which is a notch above cruise casual. The nights that we were there people were in jeans and tee shirts. Not cool!!

You say it's not cool but princess specifically says it ok to go casual so why complain?

2. When we were on the emerald we went to the great shows on princess and were allowed to take pictures without a flash. Before the show the slide came up on the screen no flash photography and it was followed. Now a year later and the same slide came up on the screen, but then about five minutes before the show there was this announcement to turn off all digital equipment including cameras.

As of may this year the cruise director specifically invited the audience to take as many non flash pictures as you like. Things must have changed or you heard the announcement wrong.

karen and jamie:)

:d:d:d

I think that 1.) taking a photo of them specifically for derogatory purposes and 2.) posting that photo on this website shows worse manners than wearing those jeans and shorts in the dining room in the first place.

:mad:

So first let me give you a bit of history, we were on the Emerald in April of 2009 on the southern route, and loved every day. We truly loved our cruise, the crew, and the ship that we were on. The Princess policies were followed by the crew and the passengers and we decided to go on the Ruby in March 2010 when we wanted to do the Eastern route.

As you can see we are going on another Princess cruise in November so we are not fed up with the company, but now time for the problems and let me say that someone else may have had a wonderful time and it was just our luck and opinion.

1. We did dress up for formal nights and ate in the main dining room. We enjoyed both formal nights. We did have a problem the two nights we ate at the steakhouse since I believe that you should at least wear a jacket when at a specialty restaurant which is a notch above cruise casual. The nights that we were there people were in jeans and tee shirts. Not Cool!!

2. When we were on the Emerald we went to the great shows on Princess and were allowed to take pictures without a flash. Before the show the slide came up on the screen NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY and it was followed. Now a year later and the same slide came up on the screen, but then about five minutes before the show there was this announcement to turn off ALL DIGITAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING CAMERAS.

3. We enjoyed the rear pool on the Emerald because it was an adult only pool which allows it to be quiet and more peaceful then the family pools. On the Ruby every day was a mess with children and teens coming back and using the pool with no adult supervision. No one on the Ruby seemed to care, when we asked a deck hand he said it was not his job.

4. Finally at dinner when we ate on the Emerald the asst waiter was always filling our glass or getting another drink you never went dry, well the Ruby you had to constantly had to ask for more drink.

Now I know some of you will find the post offensive, but if you paid $400.00 a day for a hotel room would expect fabulous service and the same should be given to the people who cruise on the ship. I hope you now understand why we feel the way we do and we are both hoping for a better cruise in November.

I simply can't understand why someone would possibly be bothered by what someone else is wearing. It says more about you, quite frankly, than it does the "uncool" people wearing jeans and t-shirts.

He is rogue because Princess explains that the restaurant is casual, even on formal nights. If all it takes for him to NOT to require formal attire is a print out of the policy, then he is rogue because he knows the rule and requires passengers to produce a printout. It is beyond rogue. It's silly and arbitrary.

Why do you think this is market research when every other ship's maitre d for the Crown Grill follows the guidelines?

As for the enforcements of other rules, I believe the ships in the line are consistent. The entire line is liberal in terms of enforcing alcohol policy and other policies that may not be consistent with written policy.

Anyone have the name of thie "rouge" maitre d?

Lola in Hamilton

Loved the Ruby and all the crew. Didn't see or experience any differences in how policies were enforced on the Ruby verses any other Princess ship.

You've got to admit it is kind of funny that so many jumped to the conclusion that the op was referring to the specialty restaurant requiring formal dress for formal night when it was actually a complaint about not requiring more formal dress on casual night.;):)

I think that 1.) taking a photo of them specifically for derogatory purposes and 2.) posting that photo on this website shows worse manners than wearing those jeans and shorts in the dining room in the first place.

:mad:

I agree, and the "dripping with diamonds" comment reeks of petty jelously IMO........ Though I do like the 2 or 3 "appropriately" dressed old men in the background, their wrinkled saggy slacks and cheesy tennis shoes look far worse than anyone in nice shorts and a polo shirt with dockers would. I could care less though and wouldn't have even noticed any of those people if I was there, I just don't notice or look to evaluate everyone else's clothing.

This, imho, is the reason that AT dining has all it's problems. If cruisers wanted a set time they should go traditional. If they want "Anytime" they should not. Having standing reservations for anytime dining is not anytime dining and gums up the works.

Bob

I totally agree!!! Anytime dining should mean ANYTiME dining, not standing in line waiting for those allowed to make reservations, so the rest can eat anytime they finish! Where is the common sense on this issue! First time I have been offended and hope not to sound too angry, but come on!!!

Personally, I hope ALL Princess ships require formal night to be formal night except in buffet areas! Crown Grill and Sabitinis are more formal then the MDR to begin with.

I am personally tired of the sloppy and lazy passenger. . .take RCL or Carnival then, Princess and even Celebrity formal nights are a blast!

I plan on sailing on the Ruby a lot!

Personally, I hope ALL Princess ships require formal night to be formal night except in buffet areas! Crown Grill and Sabitinis are more formal then the MDR to begin with.

I am personally tired of the sloppy and lazy passenger. . .take RCL or Carnival then, Princess and even Celebrity formal nights are a blast!

I plan on sailing on the Ruby a lot!

Wholeheartedly agree.....:):):)

Bob

I totally agree!!! Anytime dining should mean ANYTiME dining, not standing in line waiting for those allowed to make reservations, so the rest can eat anytime they finish! Where is the common sense on this issue! First time I have been offended and hope not to sound too angry, but come on!!!

Exactly.....:):):)

Bob

Archived