I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

• 10 months later...

As the sun rose through the smoke caused by the fires to the east of us, I reflected on the year so far and gave thanks that the road-killed animal in the extreme lower right corner didn't rise and attack a passing jogger.

untitled-704621-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.f446c840304d248d158f37aadbdc8dba.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Photo Time

(from my blog over on pierce324.com)

For the last half-year or so, we have been on a quest to renovate and update our house. The back yard has been transformed and we now have three bedrooms again instead of two and a storage locker. The porch has been remodeled and the front windows are due to be delivered next month for that project. What does this have to do with photos? Nothing.

Nothing as in taking all this time for the ongoing projects leaves nothing in the way of time or energy for taking meaningful or enjoyable photos. The last photo I took this week was of a barcode at Lowe’s so the nice person at checkout wouldn’t have to flip through the Book of Codes to price the item.

This makes me sad and I intend to do something about it. I’m going to try to set aside 5-10 minutes a day to just take an actual composed photo of something. Preferably with the real cameras, but the phone will do nicely in a pinch. We have a small cruise coming up that will provide some photo fun, but when we return, I’m going to implement The Plan. It will hopefully improve the pool of photos available for the ongoing Picture-A-Week project as well.

I found and shot this within 2 minutes of walking out the door, so I think the Plan has a chance to succeed.

PXL_20220415_153101396.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.81d3817bc0ab2a57b965fb5e4f2ece59.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Since the closure of our favorite little watering hole, I've been experimenting with mixology to re-create some of their classics and try new ones from the internet at our "friends and family home bar". Pictured here is a Smoked Maple Old Fashioned that has become a favorite. Rather than use a cocktail shaker to smoke the mixture in, I have started using an empty bottle with a synthetic cork seal. It not only doesn't the lid suddenly pop off while swirling or shaking, but it also pours very neatly...including the photogenic residual smoke!

image.thumb.png.bc8d61b613c924c4a9bd4e59135b4418.png

In case you're curious, here's a quick panorama of the home bar. It was a two-month project a few years ago that is finally getting more use. Lots of cuts in the mahogany panels and maybe a mile or two on the router table making the trim pieces from variegated redwood. Good thing I enjoy woodworking almost as much as photography!

image.thumb.png.7fe5b35a2fa81701002caf6f5e6a409e.png

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Old lens (but a good one), new camera. I wanted to try a shot of something classier than ceramic ducks. Thankfully, Wonderful Wife's tulips were ready for their closeup.

Reduced to ~24MP to upload.

DFP00326.thumb.jpg.60c0ccf27ddb21c90c51d218256ce56d.jpg

Pasted screenshot of detail.

image.thumb.png.5a21ad530ec6194bc6b812cc42e61b82.png

New stuff always inspires one to make use of it. This is fun and I don't want it to fade. It will. Which is why I started the Picture-A-Week Project a decade ago. It reminds me to do something I enjoy. Which I shouldn't need. But I do. Oh, well. If life wasn't busy and complicated it wouldn't be any fun.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 7

On 3/29/2023 at 12:45 PM, pierces said:

Reduced to ~24MP to upload.

The hi-res images must be stunning, these still lifes are beautiful and the detail on the macro image is pretty nice, even at a compressed size. Love the classic scene.

Keep them coming 🙂 

Colleen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What a lovely decade-old thread that I chanced upon! It's been a while since I brought out my DSLR to play, what with the convenience of phone cameras. I was checking around for discussions about the pros and cons of bringing a DSLR along on a cruise/ trip...and voila...all the photo on this thread made me smile. Thanks @pierces for this thread and the weekly photos one. They made me revisit my photo folders. I also wondered how I can carve out time again for a weekly photo walk with my camera and perhaps participate in your weekly photo offering. 

I am still undecided if I will take my camera with me when we cruise the Mediterranean next spring on the Equinox. I did not have it with me when we were on the Apex in Jan. 23 for the Caribbean (did not miss it) but I had it on the Summit in 2016 for Bermuda (glad I had it).

Here is a piece of the Berlin Wall, located now in my home city of Montreal. I had spent the day with a friend exploring the art and architecture of our metro (subway) system and we surfaced at each station to walk around the neighbourhoods to piece together the fabulous jigsaw puzzle that we are. We only managed to cover half the network in two 10-hour days. This piece of history is located at our World Trade Center building downtown. Poignant memories of historical events as I think of some the words I just posted...

DSC_6313.JPG

DSC_6314.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, pierces said:

This was from Last Saturday. Just a nod to the passing of one of the best.

R.I.P. Mr. Buffett. Enjoy that cheeseburger when you get to Paradise!

image.thumb.png.4a9fd8c257ddb9c365af34d5a6f86da3.png

Dave

This image depicts John Denver and Jimmy Buffett playing together at a concert  that never happened.  The two singer-songwriters were friends, and Buffett frequently split his time between Key West and Aspen, which John Denver called home.  Buffett also recorded Denver's song "Rocky Mountain High" with his Coral Reefer Band.  Had the concert depicted in this image taken place, I can easily imagine them singing Denver's ode to Jacques Costeau, "Calypso," which would fit perfectly with Buffett's lifestyle. With their loyal fans, what a concert it would have been. . . Although Denver died in 1997 at the age of 53, this image depicts what I imagine he would have looked like around 2013, at which time he would have been 70 years old.

John Denver and Jimmy Buffett -- The Concert That Never Was.jpg

Edited by billandsue
Text to accompany photo
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...