Respond to this simple poll and help me out.

ksc1984

1--What is your one favorite dam ship and what do you like about her?

2--What is your favorite HAL port, or shore excursion?

Thank you. I will put the info into my ten inch Toshiba and find out where my next cruise might be!

My very favorite so far is the Volendam. Wonderful crew, right size. Least favorite is the Oosterdam. Also liked the Eurodam and the Noordam. Will not book the Rotterdam, Veendam or any ship that replaced the aft pool. :mad:

Westerdam. Definitely. Why specifically, I can't say. It just seems the Westerdam has her act together and things just go well aboard her. I imagine the Captain ought get some of the credit and the crew the rest.

Ryndam: small, intimate, no "aft lift" yet so there is still a Seaview Pool - perfect.

However, I think your search for the "best" HAL ship will get votes for every single ship. People love the ships on which they had a perfect cruise, and often that's an alchemy of weather, personal attitude, and luck. My honourable mentions go to Zuiderdam and Volendam, simply because I've had "perfect 10" cruises on both of them.

Best HAL port/shore-ex: any scenic cruising day in Alaska.

The Amsterdam!!! Sigh...I still miss her, got off two weeks ago, and I think I'm in love!!! Small size, easy to get around, beautiful elegance about her with those clean lines and old world cruising feel. Love the blue hulls on ANY HAL ship!

Agree totally with Fann1sh - ALASKA, without a doubt! Preferably Sitka (would live there if I could!) and my new, second favorite AK port of Homer. Just stunning!

It seems you've already gotten a half dozen replies and guess what? You've gotten a half dozen different ship recommendations as well! This is what makes Cruise Critic so much fun but also makes it so difficult to glean definitive information from, because everything is personal opinion.

Eurodam...........it has the wonderful Tamarind,I would cruise in a circle just to enjoy this restaurant. However the Zuiderdam was our first cruise ship and holds a special place in my heart.plus it has those huge corner aft balconies Decisions,decisions:D

Tracy's Arm Alaska....more an experience than a port..but one of my best cruise memories.

Fun poll by the way.:)

Noordam and Maasdam..... love them equally

Not simple for port

I cannot name only one but among my all time favorites are:

Rome, Athens, Copenhagen, San Juan, Curacao, Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Quebec City......

My favorite is the lovely MS Noordam----can't put my finger on any specific thing---just a great feeling being on her--love the Explorations Cafe where it is and not upstairs with the Crows Nest. Have had 3 fantastic cruises on her. My favorite port in the Caribbean is St. Maarten but I loved Alaska, too---no particular port comes to mind---the whole trip was awesome!!

Marge

We've loved and enjoyed all the 'Dam' ships that we've been fortunate enough to sail on. But by just a little...I would have to say that our favorite ship is the beautiful Amsterdam...the crew and staff we sailed with at the time are among the best ever....and that's saying some since all the crews on the HAL ships have been just wonderful. But there was just something about that particular sailing and it's crew...maybe because it had just completed the world cruise (upon arrival at the NY port....we saw many disembarking pax with a dozen+ pieces of luggage!) and I've been told that for the world cruise HAL tries to put together the very best crew. That year because of the turmoil in the world...our 18 day sailing from NYC down to the Caribbean and then thru the Panama Canal to some Mexican ports and finally finishing up in Seattle was a last minute sailing offered by HAL instead of sending the ship back to Europe. And a close second would be the lovely Noordam III! And the Maasdam was our first HAL ship,,,so there is a special spot in the heart for her.

Happy sailings to all....

The Eurodam by a hair.....the Zuiderdam was my first HAL ship and when I fell in love with the line. I love Tamarind and the fabulous Silk Den lounge. As for ports I have to say Half Moon Cay...."Wish I could stay here forever" bar.....and Ketchikan in Alaska...fell totally in love with the quaint town and the amazing Misty Fjords. What a fun poll this is.

Prinsendam hands down for the ship. Westerdam for the SY cabin we happened to have.

If it's Caribbean my favorite port and HAL sponsored tour would be St. Lucia and I think it was called the Queen's Tour, but not positive. Fabulous.

Favorite port ever was Bora Bora, but we were on Wind Song (Windstar was then owned by HAL).:)

Amsterdam....love the size, the elegance and the itineraries. About to get on again in just 2 days for 2 more weeks of bliss.

Bora Bora....gorgeous beaches, clear water for great snorkeling, beautiful people....PURE PARADISE!!

Before her recent renovations, the Rotterdam was probably my favorite ship. I just felt like I was "home" when I sailed her. With her changes? Who knows anymore. I'll need to sail her again to know if the feeling's gone.

Favorite port wasn't a port at all. It was the time I spent sailing the waters of Antarctica. I feel privileged to have been one of the few people to do that.

Favorite ship, the Noordam III is no longer in service, so next favorite is Maasdam, this small ship has beautiful woodwork and art. Like being in a European art museum.

Favorite port so far a tie: Tallin, Eustonia, Sitka, Alaska or Mazatlan, Mexico. Why, don't know, all different and love all of them.:confused::D

Before her recent renovations, the Rotterdam was probably my favorite ship. I just felt like I was "home" when I sailed her. With her changes? Who knows anymore. I'll need to sail her again to know if the feeling's gone.

I'll have to agree with RuthC.

That said, my new favorite is the Amsterdam. Quite simply, she is the flagship of the fleet. Does the world cruise every year now. Seems to have a select, hand picked crew. Maintained to perfection. Her current, unique 14 day Alaskan itinerary is my favorite of all time. I enjoyed the spectacular show put on by nature at the very active Hubbard Glacier.

Enjoyed the warm reception we received as the first ship to sail all the way up the Cook Inlet to Anchorage in many years.

Ship -Veendam - Great size and very elegant

Port - Civitavecchia (Rome)

Favorite HAL Excursion - From the Island of Corfu went to Albania & Butrint ruins (plus had an hour tour of Corfu town on the return). The tour was first class all of the way

1. The "Amsterdam" -with this Fall's cruise we will have spend a whole year on that one ship!!!!!!!!!! "Grand" cruises taken since we retired.

2. MANY wonderful adventures -but I will [ Aaarggghhhhh] narrow it down to HongKong.No...Sydney....no Edinburgh...no Hong Kong[ SHOPPING] Stanley Market!

Archived