How do you beat the post-cruise blues?

After our cruise last month, we were seriously depressed to return to everyday life. It was just such a downer to have an incredible weeklong vacation followed by... getting in the car and driving home. Our solution? We decided to book another cruise for next month. Yeah, I know, not such a budget-friendly way out of the doldrums, so I was wondering if anyone else has some cheaper ways of easing the post-cruise transition. We return on a Friday, so we'll have a couple of days free before we head back to reality.

I guess what I'm really asking is: what do you do immediately after your cruise? Do you head right home and unpack, or do you give yourself a bit of a break, or...?

I agree, you have to choose the cruise you want and: BOOK IT.

Now all you have is the anticipation of waiting for your sailing date, and in my mind that worse the the post cruise blues.

Oh, no, this is what I was afraid of! Only way to beat the post-cruise blues is another cruise. At this rate, we're going to have zero savings (but lots of fantastic memories)...

Seriously, though, does anyone have any other favorite post-cruise rituals they could share? Not sure sure that my DH is going to go for the deposit business again so soon.

Put $250 down on your next cruise while you're still on your current cruise, and get $100 off your current cruise's onboard account. That way, when you book your next cruise, you've already paid the deposit.

Other than that, look at your photos and relive the memories, and be thankful that you were financially and physically able to enjoy such a grand vacation!

We try to always have an intervening 'step.' We live in CA so if we cruise out of MIA, we stay there a bit after the cruise and then come home. Otherwise, we've found, it's a rude re-entry. Hate being on a ship for 14/15 days and ruining it by rushing to the airport. We've also 'decompressed' before a cruise. This fall we'll fly to LA and stay in San Pedro with no car....but the time we embark, we'll already be in chill mode. Ditto non-cruise international flights. Usually stay at airport night before and at least one night after. It's made it all so much more pleasant and we are grateful we can do that.:)

Put $250 down on your next cruise while you're still on your current cruise, and get $100 off your current cruise's onboard account. That way, when you book your next cruise, you've already paid the deposit.

Other than that, look at your photos and relive the memories, and be thankful that you were financially and physically able to enjoy such a grand vacation!

This is the way to go...it'll cost you $150 and you KNOW that you will be cruising again in no more than 4 years...that and you get to enjoy a reduced deposit if your next cruise is longer than 7 days!

I like to go home from a cruise and immediately start researching which cruise I will take next. We've done the eastern and western carib (ad nauseum), Alaska, Bermuda and are doing a Panama Canal/Mexican Riv repo next. Maybe a cruise to South America and around the Cape will be next for us! We definitely want to take advantage of the deposit program again.

we did the deposit program for our upcoming cruise, enjoyed the OBC on our last cruise, and reduced deposit for this one! we had two years to use it, and you can change it around, move it between people and places, even move it to a TA.

I really enjoy the preplanning stuff!

Have a great trip!

Beverly

plan another cruise....always try to a cruise to look forward to that you can research and plan for...right now i have two...first one i still have to wait 5 months for but planning and researching and hanging out at CC makes the time go fast!!!

Well for me, I sometimes plan a Las Vegas trip for a few days immediately after I debark. That gives me some time to have more fun, and kinda forget about cruising for a little while.... But then I will have to book another cruise within the next two weeks... Then I can get something to look forward to again!:D

After our cruise last month, we were seriously depressed to return to everyday life. It was just such a downer to have an incredible weeklong vacation followed by... getting in the car and driving home. Our solution? We decided to book another cruise for next month. Yeah, I know, not such a budget-friendly way out of the doldrums, so I was wondering if anyone else has some cheaper ways of easing the post-cruise transition. We return on a Friday, so we'll have a couple of days free before we head back to reality.

I guess what I'm really asking is: what do you do immediately after your cruise? Do you head right home and unpack, or do you give yourself a bit of a break, or...?

I am with the others that say to book another cruise. Up until our last cruise, we always had another cruise booked before our closest upcoming cruise so that when we had to leave the ship that last morning we had something to begin looking forward to immediately. We decided to do a land trip for next year, and weren't able to book what we wanted for 2012, so its been an adjustment this go round.

I agree - the best solution is book another cruise, but it doesn't have to break the bank!! We came off the Jewel in March, and our next cruise it E. Mediterranean, and that is not until October of 2011, so we have plenty of time to look forward to it, and also plenty of time to save for the excursions!!

I agree - the best solution is book another cruise, but it doesn't have to break the bank!! We came off the Jewel in March, and our next cruise it E. Mediterranean, and that is not until October of 2011, so we have plenty of time to look forward to it, and also plenty of time to save for the excursions!!

Okay, you've all convinced me that the only real solution is just to book another cruise. The planning for a trip is always such a huge part of what I enjoy about traveling, anyway, because it gets my head into vacation mode even when it's still months away. I like the suggestions to do the deposit while you're on the ship (such a deal with the OBC!), and I also like the idea of planning a trip that we'll have plenty of time to save up for so it's more budget-friendly.

Wish we could work in the ideas about having some decompression time before/after the cruise, though. Since we live close to our port city, it's not quite the same as getting to explore a new town, but there are certainly tons of touristy things we haven't done in Boston. Who knows, maybe we'll do a duck tour after the cruise! Something to think about. Thanks for all the responses, guys!

We usually head home and unpack but this time since my husband was scheduled for a Dr appt in the airport city (90 miles from our home) 2 days after our return, we stayed at the motel an extra day/night just relaxing and adjusting to not being on a cruise ship. We enjoyed the re-entry day so much that we're adding one to our next cruise vacation.

The best way to avoid the no-cruise blues is to have another one already booked so you have one to look forward to, even if it's months away.

When the budget won't allow that I avoid the blues by pulling out all my cruise brochures and deciding which cruise I'll book when we have the money. That helps, believe it or not.

I know what you mean. I had fair warning before I left. I read a post by a CC member about the end of the anticipation after the cruise was over. I planned to write a review of my cruise and I was lost in editing video to post with that review. That kept me going for another two weeks. I kinda settled back into reality after that.

A friend was so excited about my cruise that since we both had to take time off in August, I invited my friend to take a cruise. We are doing a 4 night since my friend is not sure about seasickness. My answer is write a review post pictures. That can be helpful to future cruisers and helps you to keeping living the cruise for a short time. :cool:

We spent 3 days after our hawaiian cruise relaxing on waikiki beach.

I couldnt wait to get home and write a huge review

That helped!

My next holiday isnt a cruise :(:mad::mad:

I could only convince my mum to go on holiday with me and soon as i mentioned the word cruise she started hearing Celine Dion.

How do you get over the fact that your next trip isnt a cruise :mad:

Unless you know of a cruise addiction clinic to attend, then it's "book another cruise". We have two more already booked and the next is still 4 1/2 months away.....hummmmm...wonder if I could squeeze in yet another between now and then???? Hummmmm..... Kids don't need any inheritance!!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I missed my beautiful ship so much. It's good to know others feel the same way. My friends made me think I was going insane, lol. Anyway, that longing didn't go away until I booked another cruise (we leave in 4 days!). I think I'm going to need to get a second job so I can feed my cruise addiction...

Depending on the I have from work.

We usually stay for a few days with my Dad

before heading home. Usually the holidays is

about 10 days longer then the cruise itself.

After getting home and unpacking start looking for

our next cruise (usually 18 to 24 moonths later):cool::cool:

Archived