? transportation Nyc

from holland

I will arrive in Nyc after my cruise on the Eurodam. I have booked a room at the Staybridge Suites hotel across the street from the Porty Authority Terminal. Is there a bus from the cruiseterminal to this terminal? Also, what is the best way to get from my hotel to JFK? We are 3 persons.

Thanks for your help!

From Holland

I will arrive in Nyc after my cruise on the Eurodam.

Check out this website for a map of Manhattan bus routes. There is a pdf file you can download: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf You could also take the E train from the PABT to the Jamacia station to take the train to the plain. Less confusing to JFK would be to take a taxi. There is a taxi stand at the PABT on 8th ave

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on 12th Avenue and West 55th Street. Your hotel is on West 40th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenue. This is a relatively short taxi ride and you will be able to get a taxi right outside the Cruise Terminal. This should not cost you more than $10 if that much.

Keep in mind that you will not want to be lugging bags around after your cruise. Trust me on that one, DW reminds me of that after every trip.

The taxi fare from your hotel to JFK airport is a flat rate of $45 plus the cost of any road tolls plus a $1 surcharge between 4 PM and 8PM plus

50 cents which goes to the Governor of New York State.

Keep in mind you will riding in air-conditioned comfort. This is something not to be under appreciated if you are traveling in Manhattan during a summer's day.

The hotel staff will be more than happy to get you a taxi at the front door - no need to schlep to the bus terminal (schlep lit. "to carry stuff around")

Take it from a Native New Yorker.

Thank you all for your advice. I see that a taxi will do the job! After such a beautoful journey you really don't want to have the hassle with dealing with luggage. Any good advice on restaurants? My friends have never been to NYC, I have but that was a looooooooong time ago. Any advice on sight-seeings? What about a hop-on hop-off?

Thanks for your input!

From Holand

Welcome to one of my favorite cities! Yes, there are HOHO buses available. Another great tour option, even though you will just have gotten off a ship is the famous Circle Line Cruise around the city. Manhattan is very walkable and the subways are easy to find your way around. Contrary to popular opinion, New Yorkers are not rude. If you find yourself on a bus and need help, just ask. You'll have about ten people telling you where you need to get off.

As far as restaurants, you have the world at your door. While there are very famous and very expensive restaurants all over, some of the best times we've had are in little "hole in the wall" spots we've found just by wandering. Another fun option for both a tour and finding restaurants in taking a food tour. I've done five with this company, http://www.foodsofny.com, and each one has been better than the last. I have absolutely nothing to do with the company, I just think they have a great tour and we continue to go back to restaurants we visited on these tours.

Enjoy your wonderful HAL cruise and NYC!

Archived