Gift Idea

Denali2003

A friend of mine is getting married in August. Her & her fiance will be merging 2 homes together.

I will be going to Alaska in July. The ports we will be visiting are: Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway. I want to get them a gift from Alaska. Any ideas of what to get them? They probably have 2 of everything. It also has to be able to fit in my suitcase without breaking. Don't really want to ship it to her - she lives in Boston, MA. That would cost too much.

Thank you for your help.

Give them money or vouchers towards a cruise? Send it in a hand embroidered card with their wedding date on it if you want to make it personal.:)

don't get them something for a home if they both have one already.

Without knowing the couple it is kind of difficult to make suggestions, but two things that came to mind that might make good wedding gifts are an ulu knife set with cutting board or bear claw salad tongs (maybe with matching salad bowl). Both are easy to find throughout the ports in Alaska and would be a gift that most would appreciate.

There are several naitive Indian art and craft shops in Ketchikan where you would be able to find something unique. One is Crazy Wolf Studio on Mission St. link and the other is Haida House on Water St. very close to the Princess dock. The third one is one that Yukon mentioned in a post but I not familiar with it.

Putterdude -- thanks for the link!! Those baleen baskets look very neat. I am assuming that they are made from whale baleen. That's a good possibility - providing it will fit in my suitcase. If it will fit - I may get one for myself.

A "real" Ulu Knife and Bowl set is really nice. My SIL bought one last year and uses it daily. Check to make sure it's made in Alaska. The stores are packed with "knockoffs" made in China. THAT is not a souvenir from Alaska, IMO.;)

'spawn til you die' not funny?

ray was in tiny town last week teaching drawing classes through the library. a very pleasant man.

i wish i was.

"No Ho like a CoHo" :D

"Creek Street -- Where both men and salmon go to spawn"

They would be pretty weird wedding gifts. But then, for the couple who has 2 of everything.....

You seem pretty pleasant here!

A "real" Ulu Knife and Bowl set is really nice. My SIL bought one last year and uses it daily. Check to make sure it's made in Alaska. The stores are packed with "knockoffs" made in China. THAT is not a souvenir from Alaska, IMO.;)
Thank you, I will check to make sure it is made in AK. You're right, if it's made in China, it's not a "true" Alaskan souvenir. I did see on-line for a shop in Juneau for a set with the knife, cutting board & the bear claws for salads/pasta. That looks like a nice gift.

Speaking of t-shirts. I was looking at some gift shops in AK on line. I saw one with an outline of Alaska and in the middle of it was an outline of Texas. The caption "Awww, it's Texas Cute" DH loves that shirt. If we find it, he is going to buy it. I wish I could remember which shop in which town I saw it.

Archived