If you had to (or got to!) work on a cruise ship.......

STEVE-O

I agree with some of the posts about being the Loyalty Ambassador. But I have applied to a couple of jobs with Royal for onshore in their IT area. I didn't get them but I thought it would be great to at least still be a part of an industry that I know and love. :)

I would love to be the asst cruise director. Love planning events and schedules I am super organized and don't care to be the front man but I would make you look good!

I think I would be good at the pursers desk.

Have looked for how to apply to be a rep at the port but can not find the jobs listed anywhere.

I nominate my MIL for anchor. (Is that job taken?)

Seriously, photographer might be a cool gig (as long as you can take the rejection of people NOT wanting their photos taken, etc...)

Or Zamboni driver on an a Voyager- or Freedom-class ship.

Which job would you want and why????

For me...I'd like to be the piano player in the band....I have -0- talent so this "dream" will have to fade.

How 'bout you?? Ever think about this??

Staff Captain - 'cause I'm not qualified to be captain yet.

Seriously, photographer might be a cool gig (as long as you can take the rejection of people NOT wanting their photos taken, etc...)

I'm a professional photographer and own a studio...my DH and I occasionally joke about going to work as a ship photographer. But honestly, being a pro photographer when people are hiring you and want you to be there is difficult enough. It's not an easy job even when you're your own boss - you have to deal with all kinds of people and their wildly varying expectations, personalities, etc, not to mention occasionally less favorable environments (those weddings outdoors in 105 degree heat with 100% humidity are so fun!). I can't imagine it being very rewarding when you are so confined in what you can do, by rules, by gear, by backgrounds, etc. It wouldn't have the same artistic rewards.

I would like 2 jobs

Quality control -incognito I would travel as a guest and check on everything to make sure it ran smoothly Write reports for corrections.

Actual Cruise designer choosing ports itineraries and excursions available ,flying to places ,seing docking possibilities sites and points of interest for potential guests ...and be paid for doing so.

The cruise line's version of the Walmart greeter. I would love to stand on the gangplank the first day and welcome all of you on-board. Then I'll be on the smaller, dock-leveled gangplank and welcome all of you back after you have spent a fun filled day in port.

BUT don't expect me to hold the ship for you if you are late because I am a person who likes the ship to leave on time so we head out to the next port-of-call and arrive there at our scheduled time so we can start another fun-filled day in a new port.

So many new people to meet, new things to see and new adventures to try. Life is so wonderful. :p And we are so lucky to be able to do this.

I think the "best jobs" on these cruise ships are probably one cruise contract positions ... namely the headliner entertainment folks and guest lecturers.

I suspect part of their compensation may be the cruise itself (guest accommodations and guest food) ....

I doubt very much any other cruise ship job would be worth taking with the hours they work.

WORKING on a cruise ship is NOTHING like vacationing on a cruise....I wouldn't want ANY job on a ship! It's hard, grueling work....you're away from your loved ones for months at a time....you don't get the "good" food or the nice rooms....you're sharing with other employees that you don't know (or particularly like) in cabins that are smaller than what the passengers get....it's NOT fun...and there's no time for fun! It's WORK...I can do that on land, and have my own space to relax in, with my own friends and family!

I dont think its like that for everyone, we spoke to a few of the younger crew and they said they have a ball and love it and like to get off at some of the ports to go shopping and they were talking designer bags in Rome!!! This is why I dont go for all the hard luck stories, yes some will miss family and send money home but what would they be doing elsewhere or at home?? probably in a sweat shop or no job.

I know on Carnival and I assume on RCI the golf pro is not technically a staff position but I would love to put together the golf outings at the ports and accompany the players. The last cruise I took, 2 golf pros took 6 of us to Cozumel and played with us and gave us lessons as we played. I learned more in that round of golf than I ever had. It was a blast. Cruising and golfing. It would be a tough life but I'd give it a try.

So the staff doesnt get to eat "good food"?

Wow, as bad as some people make the "good food" out to be, the staff must be living off something much akin to what would be served in a jail :p

I honestly dont know of a job on board i would want either besides Captain. I know its a HUGE responsibility but I am going to guess he isnt living off terrible food, he has the nicest accomodations of any staff on board and I also am going to guess makes the most money of any staff on board and has the most time off.

So the staff doesnt get to eat "guest food"?

Wow, as bad as some people make the "guest food" out to be, the staff must be living off something much akin to what would be served in a jail :p

I honestly dont know of a job on board i would want either besides Captain. I know its a HUGE responsibility but I am going to guess he isnt living off terrible food, he has the nicest accomodations of any staff on board and I also am going to guess makes the most money of anyone on board and has the most time off.

I have seen staff eating Windjammer food ;)

This is a fantasy question...some of the posts are taking this way too seriously! ;)

I like the poster who said zamboni driver! Why didn't I think of that? lol

I also like the poster who said they'd like the job of planning the itineraries. Great idea...some of the itineraries really do need mixing up!

As for the food comment. I asked a crew member once if he got tired of the same food all the time. He said the have different food. A lot is the same but since they have so many people from different countries they have special cultural foods. Which makes sense.

Realistically: be on the CD's staff (so running games, dance lessons, etc.)

Fantasy: be a guest entertainer (they get hired to perform once on the ship and spend the whole rest of the time cruising). I say "fantasy" for this because even though I have a Masters in Theatre, I do not have enough performance talent to swing a professional-grade show (I am more academic/technical/literary, rather than a "star") :cool:

For those inclined to want to be the ship's IT geek (as I would) consider the book "The Truth About Cruise Ships" by Jay Heering. He was the IT guy on a ship for Carnval and because ships are so wired he interacted with every department including the bridge officers. Had access to the entire ship and was technically an officer. Some interesting insights (and some of them are definitely PG-13 to R in nature). Take with a grain of salt though.

Another insider book is "Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline" by Brians David Bruns. Read before you rush out and sign up for your dream job. A little pin poke of reality for those fantasy bubbles. ;)

I would love to be a Naturilist or do Arts&Crafts and am looking at those right now. Technically these postions and a few others are not Staff so they are treated very differntly,

Adri :)

I can honestly think of no job on a cruise ship that I would want. The work is really grueling, and as CB said, it's the opposite of what we experience as passengers. No job on the ship is easy. I don't mind working hard, but I can't think of one that would be worth it.

This is not really true, thier are a few of temporary positions on the cruise ships where the person/people stay in a regular cruise room and work out a good deal in trade,

http://sixthstar.com/

Just some food for thaught is all,

Adri :)

For those inclined to want to be the ship's IT geek (as I would) consider the book "The Truth About Cruise Ships" by Jay Heering. He was the IT guy on a ship for Carnval and because ships are so wired he interacted with every department including the bridge officers. Had access to the entire ship and was technically an officer. Some interesting insights (and some of them are definitely PG-13 to R in nature). Take with a grain of salt though.

Another insider book is "Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline" by Brians David Bruns. Read before you rush out and sign up for your dream job. A little pin poke of reality for those fantasy bubbles. ;)

The book you suggested sounds interesting. I love IT. Give me anything technical with a problem and I am happy.

I dont think its like that for everyone, we spoke to a few of the younger crew and they said they have a ball and love it and like to get off at some of the ports to go shopping and they were talking designer bags in Rome!!! This is why I dont go for all the hard luck stories, yes some will miss family and send money home but what would they be doing elsewhere or at home?? probably in a sweat shop or no job.

You want to know a secret? We are directed to tell guests that. How much fun would it be for you to hear "they work me until my feet actually bleed. I have fallen arches and no medical coverage. I suffer from depression because I go months without a day off. I have never seen more of the ports of call than a quick trip to a supermarket or general store will provide"?

That is the life of crew. Staff, sometimes, has it different. But crew (your waiters, bartenders, stateroom stewards etc) have it hellishly bad.

Just because choices are bad at home, does not justify how bad it is on the ship. You do realize we live in a room smaller than a Cat Q that we share with at least three other people. There are no health benefits, no retirement benefits, the pay for some positions is as little as $10 A DAY.

So the staff doesnt get to eat "good food"?

Wow, as bad as some people make the "good food" out to be, the staff must be living off something much akin to what would be served in a jail :p

I honestly dont know of a job on board i would want either besides Captain. I know its a HUGE responsibility but I am going to guess he isnt living off terrible food, he has the nicest accomodations of any staff on board and I also am going to guess makes the most money of any staff on board and has the most time off.

Crew eats separately. Mass produced and what is left over from the WJ. Staff can eat at some locations. If crew wants to eat at other restaurants they have to pay and be off the clock. And they better hope the passengers don't recognize them.

Archived