Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

llou85

pick-pocket in Copenhagen

We have just returned from the Baltic Treasures Cruise which was wonderful. I wanted to share what happen at a little souvenir shop close to the palace in Copenhagen. It was very crowded. My daughter saw a pick pocket trying to get into a mans bag. The man had an over the shoulder bag with a flap. The bag part was in the back. The pick pocket was putting his hand up under the flap and she was watching. There was another man working with him and he saw my daughter watching. He was carrying an umbrella and lifted it up between my daughter and the pick pocket which clued the pick pocket to stop. Then they picked up a shirt and got in the long line to check out, getting out of line after a few minutes. They split up and she didn’t see them again. We told the tour guide who said these people come every year from Romania and said they were gypsies. I saw one of the men and he just looked like any other tourist. So please beware and if you have a shoulder bag, keep it in front.

Unfortunately this type of thing happens all over the world but this post is a great reminder to be aware of ones surroundings including potention pick pockets.

A friend of ours was in Copenhagen a few years ago and he and his wife were coming up the escalator at a train station and he was holding his luggage. He felt someone bump into him and a minute after he got off the escalator he checked his back pocket and discovered that his wallet had been stolen.

Thanks for reminding all of us to be careful.

Keith

I saw one of the men and he just looked like any other tourist. So please beware and if you have a shoulder bag, keep it in front.

What does a pick pocket look like :confused:

Not to sound like a commercial....but products made by Pacsafe are excellent for use when you are concerned about pick pockets...I have used the purse for my camera etc. and the pouchsafe under my jacket for carrying my passport and credit cards. They are pricey tho:rolleyes:

We love Pacsafe too. I wear my bag cross my body and keep my hand on the zipper all the time. My husband wears his pouch under his clothes. We have had people approach us that we believe to be pickpockets but do not let ourselves be distracted by anything, just keep confidently going.

Lyn, I think the OP might describe a pickpocket as shifty looking......like in Dickens or something.

Lyn, I think the OP might describe a pickpocket as shifty looking......like in Dickens or something.

:D

I have read the pickpockets in Rome look like ordinary business men

i will be sporting my Pacsafe purse so maybe they will pass me by

lyn

What does a pick pocket look like :confused:

They run around in all black wearing face masks and looking sinister of course! :D Haven't you seen the signs:

pickpocket_thief.jpg

:D

I have read the pickpockets in Rome look like ordinary business men

i will be sporting my Pacsafe purse so maybe they will pass me by

lyn

That was exactly my experience. In the metro the last time I was in Rome I had my hands in my front pockets holding on to my wallet when I felt another hand. I turned around to see a nicely dressed business-man type. He just said 'scusi' and went on.

I'm always overly cautious (if that's possible) when I travel. In preparing for the next cruise, I found a new, pretty clever item at REI. It looks like a wide wrist band, but it has a zippered pocket. You can stash some bills and perhaps a credit card or ID (passport won't fit) and slide it up so it's covered by a long sleeve shirt. No one would know it's there.

Don't use a bag/satchel that just has a flap, a magnet closure, or a strap that is 'too inconvenient' to keep closed. ZIPPERS people! Only travel with a zipper closure bag, get a jacket with zippered pockets or pants with a zip pocket. Deep pockets with a button is also good.

Make sure you zipper your bag, pocket, or purse closed again after buying something. Don't walk away with your change in your one hand, the wallet in the other and carrying your recent purchase over your arm. Put everything away before walking from the cashier. :D

Don't know if it's the Pac-Safe or just luck, but have returned from 3 European vacations with everything I have in it intact.

I do have a small wallet with a key ring attached that I keep clipped to one of the zippered inside pockets inside the purse as an extra precaution.

Our friend was pickpocketed in London pre-cruise at the Constitution pub off of Belgrave Rd. We were finishing up lunch at a table near the men's room and one of the customer's lifted her wallet from her purse enroute to use the faciliites. It was found stashed the next day behind the toilet emptied of cash but not cc cards, etc. It was returned to her hotel by another patron who was there when she returned to the pub in high distress as soon as she realized it was gone (15 min. after leaving). He went from hotel-to-hotel in the vicinity until he found where she was staying. She had cancelled all cards in the meantime, but was relieved to have her driver's license and insurance cards back in her possession.

Just this past Friday in Budapest we were aware of a possible scam in the subway as an old woman "fell" off the bottom of an escalator- we figured it was a variation of the dropped baby scenario and did not come to her assistance.

Just this past Friday in Budapest we were aware of a possible scam in the subway as an old woman "fell" off the bottom of an escalator- we figured it was a variation of the dropped baby scenario and did not come to her assistance.

It is pretty sad world when you cannot be sure if a person is really injured and pass them by or a scam :(

I have never had a Pacsafe before & came home unscathed but this year with more reports of Pick pockets I purchased the Slingsafe 100 purse

We leave Thursday wish us luck;)

Just be aware of your surroundings

Lyn

Folks, just spend a few bucks to buy a moneybelt

.Wear it low, underneath undies and all be be safe.Target, Walmart now carry them.Passport fts into them too. If they cannot find it they cannot steal it.

It is pretty sad world when you cannot be sure if a person is really injured and pass them by or a scam :(

Just be aware of your surroundings

Lyn

It was the circumstances watching this bent-over woman get on the escalator very dramatically that made me leery of her to begin with, and when she stumbled and fell at the bottom it appeared very contrived to me. DH turned back afterwards and noticed that Security personnel were at her side so she likely got whatever "assistance" she required.

Your caveat is right on, be aware of surroundings. But also familiarize yourself with the types of scenarios that thieves set up to play upon good-hearted victims.

It was the circumstances watching this bent-over woman get on the escalator very dramatically that made me leery of her to begin with, and when she stumbled and fell at the bottom it appeared very contrived to me. DH turned back afterwards and noticed that Security personnel were at her side so she likely got whatever "assistance" she required.

I am sure the security personnel are aware of the "victims" of these falls ;)