Father(81)& daughter cruise/train to AL

lexiek

I am trying to find information about a cruise/train to Alaska via Canada. Want to go on a wk or so cruise/train seeing Rockies(Banff, ect) and seeing Denali by land. My Dad is 81, can't walk a whole lot, that is why I want to do train and cruise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have been reading a little bit and want to see Banff, then go into Alaska, also want to see Denali. Hoping to go in Sept if nothing happens.

Thank you

I know some on this board have done that trip, so I'm sure someone will get back to you. In the meantime, to help with your searching, AL is Alabama; AK is Alaska. Even the P.O. sometimes gets it wrong...we've had mail (even with the correct zip code) go to Arkansas (AR) sometimes before it gets to us!

I know some on this board have done that trip, so I'm sure someone will get back to you. In the meantime, to help with your searching, AL is Alabama; AK is Alaska. Even the P.O. sometimes gets it wrong...we've had mail (even with the correct zip code) go to Arkansas (AR) sometimes before it gets to us!

We were just wondering at work today where people get AR from. AL at least makes sense, and someone has to remember that Alabama got to statehood before Alaska, but Arkansas? There's no R in Alaska!

" a week or so cruise/train to Alaska via Canada".......I think you're going to need close to 3 weeks for this trip. You're covering a lot of territory.

If you plan to visit Denali keep in mind that the shuttle buses stop running around Sept 15 so you might need to do your land tour of Alaska first, then the cruise, then train to Banff (the Mountaineer was suggested), then fly home from Calgary.

Would you rent a car for the Alaska portion or do you want to use the train there as well? You could fly into Fairbanks then take the train to Denali then a few days later onto the cruise port, or, you could fly into Anchorage and rent a car for a return drive to Denali, then take the train from Anc to the port. You've got lots of planning to do!

We were just wondering at work today where people get AR from. AL at least makes sense, and someone has to remember that Alabama got to statehood before Alaska, but Arkansas? There's no R in Alaska!

I think it's more a case of people see AK and think Arkansas than the other way around. But you would certainly think people at the P.O. would get it straight!

As mentioned early September would be best for Denali as the shuttles shut down as you move into September. However, early September is also generally better for the cruise because of the potential for bad weather along the inside passge as you move into September.

Any chance you could go late August?

Are you planning this trip for this year or next?

I have no idea about this company, but here is something I found by googling. However it does not go to Denali.

http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/canada/train_travel_vacations/can_rockies_alaska_cruise/index.html

This is another company to look at. Looks like you might be able to combine a Canadian Rockies Rail Tour with a Cruisetour to Alaska. :

http://www.alaskacruises.com/canadian_rockies.asp

No matter who you go with, I suggest you check them out with the Better Business Bureau. Also do a google search for the name of the company and "reviews."

Most of the rail/cruise tours fly into Calgary, get you on a train, and you take the train thru the Rockies. An overnight in Banff, usually, and another one somewhere in the interior of BC.

There are also bus tours that do a similar route. Here's a link to one place that does the bus tours:

http://www.vacationscanada.travel/packages/motorcoach.aspx?departCity=CalgaryAB

This doesn't help you for the Denali component, but it is one more option to research for the Canadian Rockies.

Archived