Teenage Cruise Passenger Tragically Killed in St. Thomas Shooting

reyesj226

Truly a shame, but in all honesty, this could happen to any of us, in most any big city! (Yes, I know it didn't happen in the city.) Just being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. My heart goes out to her family.

"SKY"

very sad.

I'm not to familar with St. Thomas is there usually violence there?

We've been to St. Thomas many times on cruises and have never once felt unsafe. I had no idea that they had a problem with gang/drug violence. This is terrible and I feel so badly for the girl's family. We have been on that cruise before back when it was with the Destiny and are going again on the Victory in January.

Seems there is gang/drug violence on just about every Island, you just don't here much about it. Not much difference with all our citys in the US. Its sad things like that happen on a vacation. Prayers go out to her family, that has to be hard on them.

I am saddened to learn of this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the sweet young lady who was taken from them way too soon. May she rest in peace, may they find the strength to go on without her and may swift justice come to those who, with so so little regard for human life, perpetrated this callous and senseless act of violence.

What a terrible tragedy.. senseless crime that took a completely innocent, young life. :(

Has anyone heard if the tour company was one of the ones that is frequently spoken of here on CC; AirForceOne.. Godfrey.. EEE?

Be careful of those who suggest that crime in ST. Thomas is no different than crime anywhere else. Perhaps they were suggesting only other crime ridden areas. Many have a vested interest in keeping the bad news away from tourists. I have always heard they had a problem with car break ins and easy access to drugs. But until today I was not aware of the extent of the problem. I was looking for confirmation of the Coki incident, because I will be there soon, when I ran across the following site.

http://www.stthomasblog.com/?p=5351 Pay attention to the comments made by locals.

For more look at

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/read.php?4,141676

It's best to be informed and be careful.

Be careful of those who suggest that crime in ST. Thomas is no different than crime anywhere else. Perhaps they were suggesting only other crime ridden areas. Many have a vested interest in keeping the bad news away from tourists. I have always heard they had a problem with car break ins and easy access to drugs. But until today I was not aware of the extent of the problem. I was looking for confirmation of the Coki incident, because I will be there soon, when I ran across the following site.

http://www.stthomasblog.com/?p=5351 Pay attention to the comments made by locals.

For more look at

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/read.php?4,141676

It's best to be informed and be careful.

I would also be careful of people who are new yet come in with an agenda like this, I don't know the writers of those blogs

I have no vested interest in St Thomas tourism but I am also not going to act like Chicken Little, you have to put things in perspective

I see people who are afraid to go to Jamaica, Mexico, etc....when really the cruise ports are for the most part NOT near the hot spots of crime and gangs and drug wars

Now they are afraid to go east...pretty soon we will just have private islands to visit I guess??

Use your head...there are "bad" places in any city or town and on any island

this sad tragedy was not aimed at tourists...they were just caught in the crossfire and this young girl ws the victim. The murderer turned himself in, and the police in St Thomas are going after others involved

If the area around Coki is rough, don't go there. I am sure many of the safari tour drivers will rethink where they take the tourists...find the safest beach. That is being sensible

it is such a teribble tragedy and senseless crime...its a dang scary world these days...just never know...

will be in St Thomas in December...we are really looking forward to it...

will just PRAY for all our fellow cruisers/travelers safety;)

I live on St. Thomas and work in the Coki Beach area. Coki Beach is one of my favorite beaches and hands down it has the best snorkeling and something for everyone. This was a trajic and isolated incident. The people at Coki are hard working and care about each other and the tourists. It saddens me that this incident could take Coki off the map for so many. I am originally from Texas, have worked in this area for the last few years. I have seen many families come and go and have the time of their lives. Their is something for everyone at Coki. Scuba, snorkeling, jet skis, parasailing, Coral World, Sea Trek, Snuba, it has it all. I hope tourist will help take a stand and continue to choose Coki. What people might call "shady" characters, is maybe a first impression. We are in the Islands, life is simpler and people make do with less and aren't as concerned with appearances as in the States. Keep that in mind. Areas in town are safe and most people are looking out for your best interest and want you to have a good time.

I have 2 children, both girls. One just turned 15, so I can sympathize with the poor victims family. I still feel like Coki is a great place and my favorite beach to bring my kids. We feel safe.

This is not an Island where gangs run rampant. I see how things quickly get blown up to seem that way, so I have to say my peace.Don't get caught up in the hysteria. This spat was between 2 misguided youths and the tourist was not a target. It's my perspective, I was there before the shooting, during and I will continue to go to Coki Beach after the shooting.

If anything, this incident has enlightened some as to not to visit this island with their guard down. Amazing how many people have posted here, and on the mega thread, how they were not aware of this island dirty little secrets.

But I plan to vacation elsewhere until I hear how this governor plans on ensuring additional safety measures for tourists.

I read that blog in the first post and the many comments from the residents and it seems we are the only people in the dark here. All the times I have visited STT I have taken tours and the locals tell you how safe it is and I have walked through town but after reading their comments I think I'm taking a pass and staying on ship if they go to STT. I don't want to be over reacting but when i lived in NYC there was some real shady neighborhoods and I didn't go there - plain and simple. Yes I know something can happen no matter where you go but I'm not going where I know there's a much greater risk of it happening.

If anything, this incident has enlightened some as to not to visit this island with their guard down. Amazing how many people have posted here, and on the mega thread, how they were not aware of this island dirty little secrets.

But I plan to vacation elsewhere until I hear how this governor plans on ensuring additional safety measures for tourists.

I will still go to St. Thomas for now but I'll be more careful and I will also do research before I go to see what the current situation is. If another tourist is killed I'll stop going until the island is cleaned up. In the meantime though I will stay away from Coki Beach, the surrounding area has always made me uncomfortable. I'll stick to Magen's or ferry over to St. John if there's time.

So, is the route to Magen's Bay considered "safe" or is the route taken also considered a rough area? We will be there next Tuesday and we are trying to decide the safest place to go?

The route to Magen's does not bring you by the area where the shooting took place. And while I can't say the route is safer, the area surrounding Magen's feels much safer to me. But I'm sure I will be looking more closely next time I go to St. Thomas knowing what has happened.

I went to Coki Beach last April and I did not feel safe there I know there is crime everywhere but I decided then we would necer go back there. The smell of pot was terrible and the area looks very run down. I am not afraid to go to St Thomas again but that is one beach I will never return to.I have said that long before the recent violence.

I am so confused and upset with the recent events. We are on the oasis of the seas and will be in st. thomas on july 20th, tuesday. We have a tour booked with sunny liston. I am seriously thinking of cancelling.

My concern is I am traveling with 6 teens....3 of them not my own children, friends of my children. I cannot grasp putting someone else's kids in any situation.

If we cancel tour, is there something all-inclusive we can do, like a resort.

If we stay with tour how is the area to get to sapphire beach?

rachel

We will also be in St. Thomas on the 20th, but on The Dream. We had booked with Godfrey, and I canceled yesterday. I might just be being overly cautious, but with gangs retaliation is always an issue. We are looking for something safer, that is why I specifically asked about the route to Magen's Bay. I think we will stay with a Carnival excursion, and I know this doesn't make you safer because these are random acts. I do want to chose as wisely as possible.

RACHL,

i went to Coki last April and if I remember correctly we went right by Sapphire I think it was the beach before Coki but I am not sure.I do know that we didn't feel safe at Coki the area is not very nice. If I were you I would stick to Megan's Bay.

We were in St Thomas last Wednesday on the Oasis of the Seas. We never felt unsafe, but out of the 4 times we've been there, only once we took a tour that took us to the top viewing area. The other three times we walked around the downtown area. It is naive to think that we are safe in any of these islands. These are very poor places and tourists are always easy targets. This is not the first time we hear of people getting killed or attacked. This incident was not even directed at the tourists, others have been. We wonder sometimes why cruise lines keep going to some of the places they go to. If we ever take a cruise again to Montego Bay or St Lucia, we will definitely stay on the ship, but St Thomas has never been a concern for us, then again, tell that to this poor child's family. :( How sad.

St Thomas has always been a high crime area. The police try to keep it away from the tourist areas but I think this shows things are getting out of hand.

Last year when the tour in Montego Bay was robbed at gun point people were out raged. In my view St Thomas is just as bad as Jamaica.

I fully realize that things happen on all islands a CDN tourist was killed in Barbados last year while walking on the beach. However in general the British Islands are far safer than St Thomas or the USVI in general.

Our prayers go out to the girl and her family.

Just got the Caribbean 2010 Fodors guide which gives info about the carribean islands. There is a section on security and here is what it says :..... "As at home, petty crime can be a problem in large urban areas, but violent crime against tourist - even on islands with high crime rates such as Jamaica and St. Thomas - are rare".

I always thought St.Thomas was safe but here it is on the same line with Jamaica. Had long known that Jamaica was not safe....but St. Thomas ?....

Just got the Caribbean 2010 Fodors guide which gives info about the carribean islands. There is a section on security and here is what it says :..... "As at home, petty crime can be a problem in large urban areas, but violent crime against tourist - even on islands with high crime rates such as Jamaica and St. Thomas - are rare".

I always thought St.Thomas was safe but here it is on the same line with Jamaica. Had long known that Jamaica was not safe....but St. Thomas ?....

I know! How did they manage to keep it so quiet? I'm really angry about that since I was just there a couple of months ago and walked to K-Mart and took the safari taxi to Red Hook. I did tons of research in advance and heard nothing of the crime rate. It's making me sick to my stomach even now to think about the risk we were taking without knowing it.

Archived