Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reyesj226

Teenage Cruise Passenger Tragically Killed in St. Thomas Shooting

I am sorry that you all are turning your back on Coral World, an attraction that has absolutely nothing to do with Coki Point besides having the bad luck of geography to be next door. If you take an excursion to Coral World, you will be dropped off at the door. The sea lions, the sting rays, the baby sharks, the turtles, the seahorses, and the creatures in the touch pond will all thank you!

Ellie: I am sorry you have such a burr under your saddle for a place where you were treated so well by the locals.

Mitsu: The parking lot is not dangerous, but annoying. The bad guys in this recent incident had nothing to do with the Coki Beach vendors.

And you are never ever annoyed at any cruise ship destination in the Caribbean??:eek:

The issue for most people here isn't the presence of a "couple of bad guys". The issue is the STT culture of indifference that tolerates (if not outright supports) this type of criminal behavior. You really have to acknowledge this point before anything will ever start to improve.

The onus is clearly on the citizens of STT to both expect and demand a proper criminal justice system. When you understand that, maybe you'll understand the typical tourist reactions being posted here.

Disclaimer: I have visited your island before (as recently as last month), and will do so again in November, but my choices and actions don't seem to mirror those of many of my fellow cruisers.

What a terrible tragedy.. senseless crime that took a completely innocent, young life. :(

Has anyone heard if the tour company was one of the ones that is frequently spoken of here on CC; AirForceOne.. Godfrey.. EEE?

I highly recommend this company. We booked with them and Papa Bear was very open about what happen on that tragic day. He cancelled Coki beach and we ended up going to Megans bay. There was a $4 dollar per person entry fee though. Not a great place for snorkeling but very clean.

The issue for most people here isn't the presence of a "couple of bad guys". The issue is the STT culture of indifference that tolerates (if not outright supports) this type of criminal behavior. You really have to acknowledge this point before anything will ever start to improve. The onus is clearly on the citizens of STT to both expect and demand a proper criminal justice system.

:cool:Bravo and very well stated. Here's the difference between NYC and STT. The people in NYC finally got sick and tired of the criminals running wild and threw out the Mayor and police administration. STT needs a similar house cleaning. Then things will improve-Not before.

This has been an ongoing problem which is not being solved by looking the other way. Happy to hear of an arrest and hope that an example will be made. We love STT and look forward to visiting again very soon.