Canon D10 underwater setting

Hi

I was finally able to use my new D10 and I really like it! My only problem (so far, and I hope there's not many more) was when I used the underwater setting. I used it in a pool and the underwater pictures turned out fine. However, when I came above the water to take some pictures, they turned out orangish. Do you think I need to switch back to a non underwater setting to avoid that and, if so, how do I go about switching back and forth so quickly :confused:

Hi

I was finally able to use my new D10 and I really like it! My only problem (so far, and I hope there's not many more) was when I used the underwater setting. I used it in a pool and the underwater pictures turned out fine. However, when I came above the water to take some pictures, they turned out orangish. Do you think I need to switch back to a non underwater setting to avoid that and, if so, how do I go about switching back and forth so quickly :confused:

Water absorbs the red end of the spectrum starting at very shallow depths. The Underwater mode adds red to the image to correct for this. That's why the images captured out of the water have the orange/yellow tint when shot in UW mode.

Switching quickly between modes is a matter of practice. You can also just shoot in one mode or the other all the time and correct the white balance later in Picasa, Elements or whatever you use.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I just bought one last week and took it on a weekend getaway to practice in the pool. I get the orange thing sometimes on above water with underwater setting but not all the time. It did an yellowish hue on the pics I took inside my house but I have not done enough reading up on the camera yet. Hopefully can figure out that one. I did photoshop some of the underwater ones that were a little too orange and they came out great.

It is a strange feeling to put your camera in water!!

I've been playing with mine in the pool and I think I've figured out the way I'm going to be able to switch back and forth quickly: I take most above water shots on Automatic, so if I preset the Scene to Underwater I can flip from one to the other with 2 button presses.

I am LOVING this camera. I took some cute shots of my 5 year old nephew swimming underwater for the first time yesterday (and a video clip, too). He's always been so afraid of water until I showed him how cool he looks under the surface :rolleyes:

I've been practicing using the camera and snorkel gear at the same time. There's a lot going on all at once - camera buttons and flippers and remembering not to breathe through my nose...

I've been practicing using the camera and snorkel gear at the same time. There's a lot going on all at once - camera buttons and flippers and remembering not to breathe through my nose...

Oh, I did not think of that. I am going to buy snorkel gear at Costco before we go as I have never snorkeled before I better get some practice in.

I am LOVING this camera. I took some cute shots of my 5 year old nephew swimming underwater for the first time yesterday (and a video clip, too). He's always been so afraid of water until I showed him how cool he looks under the surface :rolleyes:

Does the camera have a video feature on it? I haven't noticed it if so. Where is it located?

I've tried taking the pictures under and above water. It will take some practice switching them back and forth. Yes, you will get the orange look above water as others have mentioned. I can't wait to try mine out in the ocean...in 38 more days. woo hoo! :D

Does the camera have a video feature on it? I haven't noticed it if so. Where is it located?

I've tried taking the pictures under and above water. It will take some practice switching them back and forth. Yes, you will get the orange look above water as others have mentioned. I can't wait to try mine out in the ocean...in 38 more days. woo hoo! :D

It does have a video feature and takes decent movies underwater. To get the video setting, push the middle button above the LCD screen and select the video camera. It will not do pictures and video at the same time.

As for the settings, I found the same issue when I used it out of water and still had it set for underwater. In a nut shell, you need to switch settings between underwater and another setting for above water to avoid the orangish look. I have found that the D10 is great for underwater and above water, but that if you are snorkeling or something and trying to take both type of pictures quickly, it is limited.

Are you all using the D10??? I'd like to buy an underwater camera for my cruise next October. I wanted to get one for my cruise we just took in April, but didn't have the extra money, or extra time to properly research. Feeback, suggestions & pictures would be great!

Are you all using the D10??? I'd like to buy an underwater camera for my cruise next October. I wanted to get one for my cruise we just took in April, but didn't have the extra money, or extra time to properly research. Feeback, suggestions & pictures would be great!

Yes, as the topic states, it's about the d10.

They are wonderful IMO.

Here are some underwater pictures taken with the d10 by someone on here:

Go to the d10 pictures on the side if it doesn't just pop up.

You can also check out this thread for a bunch of pictures from the d10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124638

Another thread with some pictures and at the bottom of this thread, I also posted some of my night time pictures taken of fireworks with my D10 last month:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1215095

So it also takes really good night photos as well.

You can do a search in this section and find several discussions and pictures using this camera. I just listed a few. I highly recommend it. :) I did tons of research on here before I had made my decision on which underwater point and shoot camera I wanted to purchase for my cruise. I have a slr camera, so this was a big decision for me to purchase a point and shoot. :eek:

Oh another thing...

I'm still trying to figure out why you would need to go from water to land to water real quick when taking pictures??? If you are out snorkeling, you would have it on the under water setting. I can't see why you would need to come up above water to take a picture, then go back under for a picture. Maybe I'm just confused. Unless you are talking about just wanting to get a few pictures above water of people snorkeling? If that's the case, I would do them all separate...taking all the snorkeling pictures first and before you are done snorkeling, then snap some above water. Just wondering.

I'm still trying to figure out why you would need to go from water to land to water real quick when taking pictures???

I might suddenly want to take a picture of the boat from the water or a shot of the DH looking goofy or see some neat clouds or reflection on the waves or a flying fish or an island from a different perspective - how many opportunities do you get to see the world from the surface of the ocean? If I'm fumbling around with buttons I might miss something I can never re-create. Nothing says I have to switch settings back & forth but if I have the opportunity with a camera that will do it, I'll use it.

Yes, as the topic states, it's about the d10.

They are wonderful IMO.

Here are some underwater pictures taken with the d10 by someone on here:

Go to the d10 pictures on the side if it doesn't just pop up.

You can also check out this thread for a bunch of pictures from the d10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124638

Another thread with some pictures and at the bottom of this thread, I also posted some of my night time pictures taken of fireworks with my D10 last month:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1215095

So it also takes really good night photos as well.

You can do a search in this section and find several discussions and pictures using this camera. I just listed a few. I highly recommend it. :) I did tons of research on here before I had made my decision on which underwater point and shoot camera I wanted to purchase for my cruise. I have a slr camera, so this was a big decision for me to purchase a point and shoot. :eek:

Wowzers!! Those firework pictures are great!!!!

I might suddenly want to take a picture of the boat from the water or a shot of the DH looking goofy or see some neat clouds or reflection on the waves or a flying fish or an island from a different perspective - how many opportunities do you get to see the world from the surface of the ocean? If I'm fumbling around with buttons I might miss something I can never re-create. Nothing says I have to switch settings back & forth but if I have the opportunity with a camera that will do it, I'll use it.

Ah ok. Makes sense. I was just wondering. :) Good point. (Just trying to get pointers and things I might need to do while snorkeling). Looks like I'm going to be practicing switching on mine. (I'm still struggling with trying to get which buttons to push for what-like to review the pictures, switch the settings and so on. I'm so use to my slr. hehe)

Wowzers!! Those firework pictures are great!!!!

Yea, I was really shocked at the fireworks pictures. I was also really proud of them too. I couldn't believe the pictures this little point and shoot provided in the dark. :eek:

Important tip: Make certain *someone* has not put a HUGE oily fingerprint in the middle of your 'lens' before taking photos! (I use a microfiber cloth made for glasses on mine.) It's hazy because there's an ENORMOUS print on mine and didn't know it until I uploaded to my computer. My nephew and friends enjoying our summer downpour today.

Robin

IMG_3513.jpg

Another thing I just remember...since we are talking about going from out of the water to under the water. This is something that I have noticed over the last couple of weeks (and thanks to the pp, I remembered).

When you bring the camera up out of the water, you will get water spots on the lens, therefore, most of your pictures turning out with blurred spots here and there. You have to remember to wipe it off. But, when you are out in the water (especially for snorkeling) it's going to be hard to wipe it off with something dry. I tried using my finger a few times (while out in the water) just to get the excess off. Some times it worked, other times it did not.

Another thing I just remember...since we are talking about going from out of the water to under the water. This is something that I have noticed over the last couple of weeks (and thanks to the pp, I remembered).

When you bring the camera up out of the water, you will get water spots on the lens, therefore, most of your pictures turning out with blurred spots here and there. You have to remember to wipe it off. But, when you are out in the water (especially for snorkeling) it's going to be hard to wipe it off with something dry. I tried using my finger a few times (while out in the water) just to get the excess off. Some times it worked, other times it did not.

That is so true! Last year we did the kiss-the-stingrays thing. I was disappointed that the only photo we got of the two of us together had this problem.

IMG_0476.JPG

(Still can't believe I did that.) I try to wipe the lens off when in the water, but this still happens. I'm not sure there's a way to avoid it. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd welcome them.

Robin

Exactly. That's the problem I've had over the last 2 weeks while trying it out at the beach here. There's always water still on the lens. I'm welcome to suggestions as well on how to get this off if you are in the water and need to take an above water picture. :confused:

I somehow missed this. Thanks for the idea, Dave. I've added it to my Walmart shopping list for tomorrow. :D

I was rereading the D10's manual yesterday. I've had it nearly a year and have read the manual many times (it drives me crazy actually, it tells you *how* to do something but never says *why* or in what conditions) but I just discovered it has a grid overlay and a 3:2 guide on the display! Who knew??? :p

Robin

• 7 months later...
That is so true! Last year we did the kiss-the-stingrays thing. I was disappointed that the only photo we got of the two of us together had this problem.

(Still can't believe I did that.) I try to wipe the lens off when in the water, but this still happens. I'm not sure there's a way to avoid it. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd welcome them.

I came across this article...Thought you would be interested.

Check the lens: Bubbles (and droplets) can be trouble!

zlensdroplets.jpgIt's a good idea to give the camera a good shake whenever you first submerge, and again right after coming back up for air. When you dunk your camera in the water, it's not uncommon for a bubble or two to lodge around the lens opening. You probably won't notice the blur caused by the bubble until you're back home at the computer, at which point it'll obviously be too late to do anything about it. A good shake when you first go underwater will usually dislodge any bubbles, saving your subsequent photos.

The same holds true when you come back to the surface: Water droplets left on the lens cover glass can also cause severe blurring in your photos. Knock the camera gently against your palm to shake any remaining drops loose. Or, blot them dry with a clean cloth. (Beware using a corner of your beach towel for this, you're likely to just trade sand grains for the water.)

I'm reading the guide before we cruise in two weeks.

Going to try it out in my bathtub tonight. :o

Just wondering' date=' how do I preset from Auto to underwater mode?

Are there any other settings I should be aware of?[/quote']

Hit the middle button on the top of the camera. It takes you to your settings. Scroll until you see the picture of the fish and it says underwater. That's the underwater setting. :D

Archived