Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hflors

Any beaches on Raiatea?

I'm going to Raitea next March 2011. Are there any beaches? I just want to sit on the beach or go in some shallow water and snorkel or maybe just lay there. We are doing tours on Rarotonga and bora bora and so Raiatea is sandwiched in between

Any suggestions???

thanks

Helen

Don't miss the "drift" snorkleing to Tahaa - the best snorkeling in all of FP is from there (Rangioria was great but deep). The cruise ship one (at least Princess) if the best (we had friends on the local one and it didn't compare - all of our other ports the private ones were better). It's shallow and takes navigation

Helen - I just saw the rest of your post. Don't be sandwiched in - the BEST snorkling in Raitaea - forget the Cook Islands and Bora Bora - those are your beach spots...

Do the swimming with sharks tour in Bora Bora - that was a blast. (Private Operator: Snorkling with fish, standing with sharks, hanging out on the beach with lunch then seeing stingrays, etc. - around $100 pp. I'll look up the tour operators name -email me at heathercruzer@aol.com. All 20 or so us of cruise critics took this and the ones that didn't regretted it...)

Helen - I just saw the rest of your post. Don't be sandwiched in - the BEST snorkling in Raitaea - forget the Cook Islands and Bora Bora - those are your beach spots...

Do the swimming with sharks tour in Bora Bora - that was a blast. (Private Operator: Snorkling with fish, standing with sharks, hanging out on the beach with lunch then seeing stingrays, etc. - around $100 pp. I'll look up the tour operators name -email me at heathercruzer@aol.com. All 20 or so us of cruise critics took this and the ones that didn't regretted it...)

Thanks for the info, but we are already scheduled for Capt Tama on Rarotonga and Patrick's on bora, bora. I would just like to be taken out to a Motu and dropped off for the day to just lie and swim in the beautiful clear water. Anyone know of any ideas?

Hey Helen! ;)

One thing to keep in mind about Rarotonga is that many ships are not able to tender in there. We made it only once, and that sailing only two tenders made it to shore before they stopped because of rough seas (one reason why Princess has taken Rarotonga off their itinearys) It took them all day before they could get us back to the ship, and it was the roughest tender ride we have ever taken in 40 cruises. So, make sure whoever you booked with there (if you had to make a deposit) will refund if you can't make it in. Friends were to stop there recently, and I had warned them, they didn't make it in, they couldn't tender. Just a little heads up on that one.

But if you find someone to take you to a Motu for the day, I would be very interested in their contact info. To date, we have yet to find anything like that, just organized tours. I know right where you are coming from though, just spending the day on a Motu would be pure heaven.

I agree that Raiatea is a great place for snorkeling. If you can find a tour that combines a motu visit, perhaps a picnic, with some snorkeling, that sounds like it would be perfect for you. I can't suggest anyone, since when I've been there, on the Paul Gauguin, I've taken ship's tours.