Live from the Emerald - Bummer!!!

jonikal

A lot of people propped open their doors and opened the balcony door for a breeze - the steward told my parents that they had to close their room door - it was against the rules to have it open - of course this made my mother mad - and she told him no - that in over 40 cruises she had never heard of such a thing and under the circumstances would not close her door!

The door stops disappeared, and the requirement to keep the cabin doors closed appeared after the star princess fire.

It is so that if a fire occurs, it is suppressed without jumping to the hallway and next cabin, and next cabin, and next cabin.

Under ordinary circumstances, you mother would have received a visit

from the security officer, had she refused to close the door.

The door stops disappeared, and the requirement to keep the cabin doors closed appeared after the star princess fire.

It is so that if a fire occurs, it is suppressed without jumping to the hallway and next cabin, and next cabin, and next cabin.

Under ordinary circumstances, you mother would have received a visit

from the security officer, had she refused to close the door.

I understand what you are saying and am glad to know the reasoning behind not keeping doors open....However, under ordinary circumstances, her door would have never been propped open. My parents are elite members with Princess and have never experienced anything like we experienced on the Emerald - especially the rudeness from the staff during the power outage. The steward couldn't even explain why it was a "rule" - only saying "it just is".

5 hours without lights, air, water - the use of a bathroom - all on the very frist day- can be stressing on passengers, especially those with young children like us. My son certainly did not understand what was happening. Once it got dark outside, he was scared, hot and crying wanting to go home. The longer we were without power, the more doors were propped open. Open doors should have been the least of his worries. If he was genuinely concerned with safety he could have been a little more tactful in his approach without chastising my mother.

Why is that we sail her next month??

We can only equate that journey to a three-ring circus. Trying to get a table for anytime dinning was impossible and we retreated to the Horizon time and time again. When we were lucky enough to be seated the waiters should have all been fitted with roller skates for unfinished dishes were whisked away like an assembly line. The room ran like a trough.

Passengers almost resorted to mutiny as they entered bars and cafes commandeering furniture so as to sit and play cards or whatever in the Atrium. The wine bar had absolutely no seating available. Too many people for too little space. We called it the ulcer cruise.

I was also on this cruise. The offer of wine was made over the loudspeaker by the Captain. Two of the loudspeaker announcements were printed and delivered to staterooms. The $300 per cabin worked out well for us since we had 2 cabins.

Last May, when we could not go to Mexico due to swine flu, they gave us 1/2 of the price paid for each cabin in FCC. We used that money for part of this cruise so we really sailed for very little! Of course I did my best to spend extra and managed to still rack up a healthy bill. :D

We had a lovely cruise. Nice staff, excellent new show, "Boogie Shoes", even the coffee was good (although it did vary). Embarkation was about 20 minutes, ate first lunch in buffet and it was NOT crowded. Dinner at 6 the first night so most food was available. E731 was large and we just laid back on the balcony and had cold compress dipped in the left over champagne bucket ice. There was a happy accident.

Rented 2 lounges in Sanctuary. Lovely staff and quiet haven away from the rest of the noise. Worth the money for me.

Private tour with Joyce Prince on St. Martin. She was nice. I got a complete tour and she was very accommodating for my mother. I now know where all the bathrooms are located on the island!

St Thomas-Did the all day cat. Perfect Day!

Grand Turk-rented golf cart from Nathan. We went where and when we wanted. I would recommend. Left mobility scooter with him at the gate and it was safe when we returned.

Had rock massage and botox treatment at the spa. Left the ship looking and feeling great!

Booked in April for the 10 day on Emerald and put down money for 2 future cruises.

We can only equate that journey to a three-ring circus. Trying to get a table for anytime dinning was impossible and we retreated to the Horizon time and time again. When we were lucky enough to be seated the waiters should have all been fitted with roller skates for unfinished dishes were whisked away like an assembly line. The room ran like a trough.

Passengers almost resorted to mutiny as they entered bars and cafes commandeering furniture so as to sit and play cards or whatever in the Atrium. The wine bar had absolutely no seating available. Too many people for too little space. We called it the ulcer cruise.

When were you on this cruise may I ask?? Was it the one being chatted about...with no power?? We are sailing in September after kids are back to school. I am hoping that it isnt a 3-ring circus. We tend to sail during non prime times. One wrong week in March many years ago......taught us that lol. Also, we are on a 10 day and cruises longer than 7 days tend to be alittle more sedate (I dont mean totally boring)than shorter ones. (from what I have experienced on other lines)

When were you on this cruise may I ask?? quote]

Granted the trans Atlantic and Western Europe cruise that we refer to happen over a year ago. But the memory lingers on. One thing that remains unaltered is the total passenger/space ratio and if you are subjected to any inclement weather and everyone moves indoors as was the case in the furniture grab, it is most unpleasant. The din and the speed of the dinning room brought back memories of a school cafeteria. We have sailed many a Princess ship but only the Emerald can be remembered as such. That is why the current technical situation aboard was a crowning touch to us.

Archived