Cruise Critic Community
legalwife

Wear Shoes on Deck!!!

Just a tip for first timers. Wear flip flops or water shoes when on deck. If you don't want to, next time you are in a public area, look around at the toe nails of those also strolling barefoot. Do you see some yellowish colored and thick nails out there? UGH! Very contagious. College son acquired toe nail fungus from going barefoot at school. He also had athete's foot. Had to take prescription pills to get rid of nail fungus and several trips to doctor as well for athlete's foot. Finally they are gone. Really - if you think I am a germa-phobe, look around at the feet around you. It will make you think.

I also take sock footies with me to the airport when going through security so when I take off my sandals, I won't be barefoot. Now THAT could be considered a little over the edge, but again I say, look around next time you are barefoot anywhere out and about and you may think I am not that wacky. :eek:

The deck gets SUPER HOT...of course you should wear shoes, if for no reason other than the heat!

While I don't use the ship's pools, I surely would not worry about donning shoes for the short walk from the pool to my deck chair.

If you are germ-phobic, I'd be much more concerned with touching the handrails on the staircases.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never found anyone with attractive feet..that being said, I have never stepped onto the floor at the airport without socks. I carry an old pair of socks to go through the airport with. They tossed into the the trash in the boarding area. I carry another old pair for the return. I do this for business trips and for vacation. We don't hold up the line "dressing" for the trip through security but I can't imagine the gross stuff on the floor in that area. Imagine sticking your feet into the shoes of everyone in front of you in line..GROSS. I don't consider this germophobic. I do, however, walk from the pool to my chaise without shoes. I consider the pool water, the water from the showers on deck and the extreme heat baking down to cause this to be more sanitary...and I've never seen anyone on deck trimming their tonails (thank the Lord). I carry a pair of flip flops because of the bathroom floors and going into the Windjammer.

Actually, you don't get athelete's foot or fungus from not wearing shoes....you get them from wearing shoes. Feet that are exposed to fresh air and sunshine (UV light) do not get fungus. Fungus can only develop in a dark moist environment, such as the inside of a shoe.

You can walk barefoot through a field of yeast, and not develop an infection. It only becomes an infection, when you put that foot into a dark, moist shoe.

Humans have only been wearing shoes for a few thousand years....our bodies are evolved to going barefoot. It's shoes that cause infections.

Another good reason to wear shoes on deck -

I have watched people go barefoot into the bathrooms from the pool or deck area.

Major gross out.

They walk into the bathrooms barefoot and then come back out and walk around the deck, back to their lounge chair, up to the hot dog counter, pizza counter, etc.

Arg.

Humans have only been wearing shoes for a few thousand years....our bodies are evolved to going barefoot. It's shoes that cause infections.

Hear, hear. There are many, many more disgusting things in this world than going bare-foot.

...an old hippie chick (of the UK variety). :D

They walk into the bathrooms barefoot and then come back out and walk around the deck, back to their lounge chair, up to the hot dog counter, pizza counter, etc.

Arg.

Actually, people with shoes walk to the exact same places. What's the difference?

i mainly see kids going barefoot but not to many times adults...which is just YUCKY and too when you do see them in the restrooms without shoes

UGHHHHHH should be NO SHOES NO PEE:D

My suggestion is don't like the floors and you will not get any bad problems!

Bare foot in SA

Actually, people with shoes walk to the exact same places. What's the difference?

The difference is that if you're barefoot your SKIN is touching the floor. Scratches, open wounds, etc on your body are vulnerable then to infection.

I worked with a Health Inspector for the City of Seattle once. He said you would be horrified at the raw sewage that is on the floor in public spaces. He said always wear shoes and never wear them in the house.

If people want to walk barefoot into a public bathroom, that's their right. As for me, no thanks. I like being healthy.

I have gone barefoot much of my life. Mostly at home, but I have gone barefoot around pools and at the beach. When I was much younger I went barefoot everywhere. Like another poster I am an old hippie. I am in my 50s and have never gotten germs, infections or fungus from going barefoot, never. I have, however, gotten injured. Cuts, splinters, stubbed toes. Let the germaphobes worry about germs. To me the possibility of injury is the main reason you should wear shoes in public areas.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never found anyone with attractive feet..that being said, quote]

I have very attractive feet!!! :p I get pedicures regularly and keep them very maintained.

2571072410103426017S425x425Q85.jpg

I've seen more "slip and falls" on or near the pool deck and bathroom nearest the pool deck than all the other areas combined. They often have standing water combined with tanning oils and sunscreen lotion. There are spills from drinks and ice cream and (sadly) spills from the sink and probably a little urine (yuck) :eek: on the floors in the bathroom. I'll keep a pair of flip flops on my feet, thank you.

Another good reason to wear shoes on deck -

I have watched people go barefoot into the bathrooms from the pool or deck area.

Major gross out.

Arg.

I don't see this as a problem unless they eat using their feet. :D

Well at least most ships have hand sanitizer everywhere to help deal with the dirty handrails. :D

While I don't use the ship's pools, I surely would not worry about donning shoes for the short walk from the pool to my deck chair.

If you are germ-phobic, I'd be much more concerned with touching the handrails on the staircases.

Whoohoo! :p

Maybe it's just me, but I've never found anyone with attractive feet..that being said, quote]

I have very attractive feet!!! :p I get pedicures regularly and keep them very maintained.

2571072410103426017S425x425Q85.jpg

Glad for those of you who have never had problems with "foot ickies". I know what the podiatrist told us as to how germs are "shared". Once you have this happen to you, you re-think the risks. Come to think of it, things always take a different approach when they actually happen to yourself or someone you know well.

Hadn't thought so much on the slip issue. Good point!

By the way, I also Lysol the telephone and remote control. Oh, and I do wash my hands frequently. :p :D

i mainly see kids going barefoot but not to many times adults...which is just YUCKY and too when you do see them in the restrooms without shoes

UGHHHHHH should be NO SHOES NO PEE:D

sorry, I'm not gonna try to stop anyone who has to pee.:confused:

GAgirl101, You are right. I don't worry about germs because I've never had a problem in that department so I don't even think about it. I have had injuries, so that's kind of where my thinking goes. Same result, though. Wearing shoes keeps me from stepping on anything that might cut (and I've had a couple of bad cuts), it also keeps my feet out of icky things.

One more thought: flip flops might keep your feet clean but if you're worried about slipping around the pool area, IMO going barefoot is safer than wearing flip flops. Those things can be just plain dangerous. Just Google flip flop injuries and see what you come up with. Everything from slipping and falling to getting stuck in escalators.