Snorkeling in water you can stand up in

DesertSailors

We are looking for recommendations for Boniare. My husband loves to snorkel and I need a place that I can take a break and stand up in the water. I just have trouble constantly treading water and trying to breathe through my mouth (I know, go figure). Also, would like to know if these areas have shady areas for a break from the sun, as well as service facilities. Best way to get there from the cruise ship? Thanks all!

I have not been to Bonaire and cannot provide a recommendation, however, based on my research for an upcoming cruise to Bonaire, I stumbled upon the name of Renée, who offers small tours in the waters close to the cruise ships where you can stand up.

You can do a search or scroll through the posts on this board. There was recently a very informative thread in which a poster requested recommendations for Renée's tour and Woodwind for snorkelling. Based on that thread I was planning on going with Woodwind but you might find some useful info about Renée's tour there as well. I think it may have dropped to the 2nd page as I don't see it on the 1st one.

We were in Bonaire about 2 years ago. We LOVED it. The best walk-in snorkeling we have ever done. The island is very small. I ASSUME that all ships dock in the same port. (We were on a Princess cruise). We had a private tour with Renee. This was not necessary. When you get off the ship, head to the LEFT. You will pass an outdoor shopping market/type area, there is a casual restaurant right on the water, and a couple of piers going out into the water. Just pick a place and GET IN! The water is the cleanest/clearest water I have ever seen. The snorkling, not more than 100 yards from the ship, was the best I have ever done...octopus, sea snake, eels, every type of fish imaginable. I could have stayed there all day. The beauty of it is a/ you can walk to it from the ship b/ you can sit on the pier when you've had enough c/ you can enjoy the outdoor market and do some shopping - this is more like American shopping - no pushy vendors. There are quality items at this market, but we found everything to be affordable. I purchased two pieces of jewely. You can visit the handful of restaurants, cafe's etc. We really, really enjoyed our time there. Please be mindful of the coral..l know you mentioned you will need to sit down or stand up from time to time - just be careful you are not doing that on or around the coral. This island is VERY protected and obviously they are hoping to keep things that way. Enjoy! You will not be disappointed. PS We also walked to the RIGHT of the ship, and did not find that side nearly as good, for whatever reason. WE literally waited until the last minute to board our ship, and got back on soaking wet with flippers/mask and snorkel in hand! :D

To the OP: Have you tried snorkeling with an inflatable vest? I'm not a strong swimmer and I never really liked the water that much. I find snorkeling with the vest much easier, as I don't have to worry about staying afloat. They are easy to pack and take along with you.

We went over to Klein Bonaire on a ship's excursion by water taxi. Wish we had just walked down to the water taxi on our own. You can get in the water [you DO need to find your way through the coral and out a little ways] and literally just float back to where the taxi docks - no work at all! We loved it. However, there are NO facilities AT ALL, except for a couple of people with a cooler with water/punch. This was one of our favorite stops of all our cruises.

We were in Bonaire about 2 years ago. We LOVED it. The best walk-in snorkeling we have ever done. The island is very small. I ASSUME that all ships dock in the same port. (We were on a Princess cruise). We had a private tour with Renee. This was not necessary. When you get off the ship, head to the LEFT. You will pass an outdoor shopping market/type area, there is a casual restaurant right on the water, and a couple of piers going out into the water. Just pick a place and GET IN! The water is the cleanest/clearest water I have ever seen. The snorkling, not more than 100 yards from the ship, was the best I have ever done...octopus, sea snake, eels, every type of fish imaginable. I could have stayed there all day. ! :D

Merv1,

Did you happen to notice if there was a place near here where we could rent snorkel equipment?

Thanks.

I did not notice if there was anyplace or not. We had our own equipment, so it really wasn't a concern for us. Hmmm...I bet if you posted that question on these boards, you would find someone that would know. My guess would be "no", only because there seemed to be more restaurants/shops (to buy things), etc. right there ... didn't seem to be a hotspot for tourists in the water at that particular area. We were the only ones there, and then there were a few kids who appeared to live on the island playing/swimming around the piers. They also had these tiny sailboats that children were learning to sail on ... again, these appeared to be residents of the island, not tourists. Adorable! Post the question...I'm sure you will get an answer. Good luck! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived