Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ron46936

Just back from the Star

We just returned on 2/9 from the Star. What a wonderful ship!!!

I was really impressed by the layout and facilities on the ship. The food and service was outstanding. We tried Versailles, Aqua, La Tratorria, Endless Summer, and Le Bistro for dinner. All were great.

All of the entertainment was outstanding.

Just a thought for anyone that needs a rental car for a day or two before the cruise. We rented from Enterprise at LAX and dropped off at the Enterprise location by the pier. I had to call their 800 number to reserve it like that. The rate was very reasonable. We got a minivan for four people for three days and the total cost was about $130 including a $25 dropoff fee.

We also stayed three nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Lawndale. It was quite nice and very reasonable at $60 per night including a nice Continental breakfast.

The day before the cruise we went to the taping of "Jeopardy" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." Tickets to both of them were free. We got our thru tvtix.com but I think there are other sites that also have them.

ron46396,

Thanks for your post. What excursions did you do that you enjoyed? We are having a tough time with this!! Also, what shows should we not miss and what other outstanding things do you recommend we do? I really appreciate any info.

andreakul

We almost never book shore excursions thru the ship, preferring to do our own thing. In Acupulco we hired a cab/tour guide for four of us. He had a fairly new Suburban that was quite comfortable. We toured the city including the cliff divers, Princess hotel, and other scenic views. It took about 4 hours and we went at our own pace. He spoke English very well. The cost was $25 per person but we gave him a nice tip because of the good job he did.

In Zihuatanayo we just looked around town and visited a small museum. Several local deep sea fishermen were returning with their catches as we were getting ready to return to the ship. They had what seemed to us to be large sail fish.

In Puerto Vallarta they have parasailing and horseback riding available from operators on shore. They also have a nice walkway along the shore line.

Cabo is famous for whale watching this time of year. The couple with us took the whale watching tour thru the ship. They didn't like the looks of some of the local operators. I'm sensitive to motion sickness so we went shopping.

Hope that helps a little.

Ron

Thanks for all the great info, could you please answer;

1.Do they have "karaoke" on board?

2. Which night is lobster?

3. Filet Mignon night?

any do not miss items of note? I agree on excursions, I alwasy do my own.

Thanks again.

Yes they did have karaoke although we didn't participate.

I think lobster was the second night. It was available in most venues. BTW they had Maine lobster tail and claws. It was quite good. We ate in Versailles that night.

We had filet mignon in Le Bistro. I'm not sure if they had it in Aqua or Versailles. A nice dish featuring beef tenderloin medallions is available every night in La Tratorria. I had that twice.

Thanks for more great info.

1.Which do you think would be better to eat at Aqua or Vers? heard the noise level is low at Aqua.

2. Any night to avoid Main dinning room?

3. Do you remember the time for Karoake( I love it) ?

Wack: I "think" the karaoke is after Stan Sykes plays at the Carousel Bar and I think he was there most evenings between 8 and 10 or so. I have to look at my dailies again to be sure. Maybe they had it before he plays, but not sure. I'll have to check. One night there is a twisted karaoke or twisted American Idol -something like that - and the friend I went to ended up participating. Essentially, that night some judges listen to everyone who sings and picks three people to participate. Then they pick a song for them each to sing that is totally out of character for them. They had my friend (a 40ish woman) sing/rap "Don't Touch That" I guess it was hillarious. I was gambling at the time.

Emi

We just returned on 2/9 from the Star. What a wonderful ship!!!

I was really impressed by the layout and facilities on the ship. The food and service was outstanding. We tried Versailles, Aqua, La Tratorria, Endless Summer, and Le Bistro for dinner. All were great.

All of the entertainment was outstanding.

Just a thought for anyone that needs a rental car for a day or two before the cruise. We rented from Enterprise at LAX and dropped off at the Enterprise location by the pier. I had to call their 800 number to reserve it like that. The rate was very reasonable. We got a minivan for four people for three days and the total cost was about $130 including a $25 dropoff fee.

We also stayed three nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Lawndale. It was quite nice and very reasonable at $60 per night including a nice Continental breakfast.

The day before the cruise we went to the taping of "Jeopardy" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." Tickets to both of them were free. We got our thru tvtix.com but I think there are other sites that also have them.

Tell us about your cabin!

We booked an outside guarantee and were awarded no. 4500 which is probably the worst positioned cabin on the ship. Because the cabin was at the very front of the ship the porthole was not easily accessable. It was also a bit noisy when to machinerary was working during docking. I think next time I'll book a well positioned inside cabin.

But the cabin itself was well appointed with a fridge and hot water pot. The bath is about the largest we've had on a newer cruise ship. It had sliding doors separating the john, sink, and shower areas. Plenty of storage space. The thermostat in the room actually did control the temperature and we were able to acheive a very comfortable setting. I've suspected on other ships that the thermostat was mere decoration.

As another reviewer mentioned they provide bath gel in the shower so if you like to use a bar of soap then take your own.

Also the tap water tasted just fine.