Chef's Table and Shoes

ldw81

I've heard a couple of things about the chef's table and shoes. I've heard that they must be closed toed shoes and I've heard that you will be ok with flat sandals, so no high heels.

Which is it? do they prefer closed toe but won't fuss if you are wearing flat sandals??

I know this is off the shoe topic. But we are confirmed on the Chef's Table next month and trying to budget all of our stuff out so we know everything happens correctly. I was just wondering what people have left for a tip since the tip is not included. Is it the standered 20% of the $150?

I plan to wear closed toe ballet flats just to be safe. But probably not be super dressy. Most likely a cute summer dress.

I know this is off the shoe topic. But we are confirmed on the Chef's Table next month and trying to budget all of our stuff out so we know everything happens correctly. I was just wondering what people have left for a tip since the tip is not included. Is it the standered 20% of the $150?

I plan to wear closed toe ballet flats just to be safe. But probably not be super dressy. Most likely a cute summer dress.

I thought 15% was standard? When did the world leave me behind??

:confused:

I have always been told move the decimal one place and double it and that is 20% and thats what you use for good service and lower is as you see fit.

Wow... see how behind the times I am?

I always thought 15% and adjust it down to 0 as the level of service degraded from what I expected... I don't believe someone deserves a tip for simply bringing me my food.

The gratuity automatically added for drink waiters and bartenders is 15%...

:)

So... this thread has turned to tipping... :rolleyes:

I heard that you look at the tax (on land here you pay tax) and double it... Then I round up or down for the quality of service. (Texas tax is an average around 8%.)

If you move the decimal over one place, just be sure to take it PRE tax... DON'T tip on what Uncle Sam takes... :eek:

I always tip... Their wages are below minimum, so just delivering the food deserves something!!! And on board... I over tip on QUALITY of the service, since I leave the auto tip on the S&S...

I've heard a couple of things about the chef's table and shoes. I've heard that they must be closed toed shoes and I've heard that you will be ok with flat sandals, so no high heels.

Which is it? do they prefer closed toe but won't fuss if you are wearing flat sandals??

This is the reply I received from the steakhouse hostess when I emailed her to ask:

Hello,

It is recommended to have safety shoes, that means no high hills at all if they are flat sandals it’s fine

Regards,

Djekic Mirjana

Steakhouse Hostess

I am undecided about what I am going to do. I typically wear cute little sun dresses to non-elegant night dinners and have no closed toed shoes that would go with any of them. I have debated going out and buying a pair but I don't really want to buy a pair of shoes that I may never wear again when I have over 100 pairs in my closet (yes -- I'm one of those shoe hoarders! :o) I think that I will probably just wear a pair of flat sandals with a rubber bottom but I dread the thought of not being allowed to go on the galley tour.

So...what's a gal to do???

As for tipping, I typically start at 20% but only because I was once a server.

Where on earth are these dinners being held, that footwear is an issue? :confused:

I believe that the 12 diners from the Chef's Table get a tour of the galley during an active dinner service and are served appetizers (actually -- PRE-appetizers, I guess you would call them) in the galley.

Of course, this is only what I have read because I won't experience it myself until I get on board the Freedom in THREE WEEKS!!!!

I believe that the 12 diners from the Chef's Table get a tour of the galley during an active dinner service and are served appetizers (actually -- PRE-appetizers, I guess you would call them) in the galley.

Of course, this is only what I have read because I won't experience it myself until I get on board the Freedom in THREE WEEKS!!!!

You're completely accurate.

The galley tour portion is the reason for the closed toe shoes... it's a working, VERY active kitchen and the fear is that something might spill or fall on exposed toes...

Not about shoes....but I sure wish I could do this. I would try to get a reservation, but its not withing our budget......:( and my DD is a picky eater and wouldn't enjoy it that much. I hope all you confirmed have a wonderful experience!!!!!

You're completely accurate.

The galley tour portion is the reason for the closed toe shoes... it's a working, VERY active kitchen and the fear is that something might spill or fall on exposed toes...

Thanks, Host Mach and thanks again for your help in securing our reservations.

The thought of something falling/spilling on my toes is one thing that makes me consider going to buy a pair of closed toed shoes. But then my next thought is even if I do, they will cover my toes but the rest of the top of my foot would still be exposed. So....

Still undecided. Good thing I have nearly three weeks to think about it. :)

Thanks, Host Mach and thanks again for your help in securing our reservations.

The thought of something falling/spilling on my toes is one thing that makes me consider going to buy a pair of closed toed shoes. But then my next thought is even if I do, the will cover my toes but the rest of the top of my foot would still be exposed. So....

Still undecided. Good thing I have nearly three weeks to think about it. :)

Glad to be able to help...

To be perfectly honest, the galley is SPOTLESS and the odds of anyone spilling or dropping anything on exposed toes is fairly remote but it's that insurance thing functioning in the background...

To be perfectly honest, the galley is SPOTLESS and the odds of anyone spilling or dropping anything on exposed toes is fairly remote but it's that insurance thing functioning in the background...

Makes perfect sense to me and with my luck, I would be the first one denied entrance to the galley because my toes are exposed -- even though I have an email stating that it would be okay. I'm definitely leaning toward buying a new pair of shoes, just in case.

Exactly . . . plus a few of the ship's galleys have access by escalators, which might add to the reasoning behind requesting closed-toe shoes.

Archived