Is a Noon flight possible???

vavasmom

We are on the Serenade next July - the flight booking window is opening up next week and I want to book now because AA has reasonable rates. My concern is the only non-stop on AA back to Washington Dulles (IAD) leaves at 12:05. It is also about 110 per person less expensive than flights with connections and the connecting flight arrives back just before midnight.

Based on people with Serenade/San Juan experience - can we make this flight? How hard is it to get a taxi to the airport at Pan Am Pier? What is the typical wait for immigration and customs there? (We are US Citizens if that matters)

I know that traffic in OSJ on Sunday can be a nightmare but we dock at Pan Am Pier (not sure about traffic on the rest of the island). I have flown from SJU before so I know the agricultural line is unpredictable (but I have no Sunday airport experience). My memory is that it took awhile to get through security also - but I have always traveled during the week.

The other option I am considering is staying one night in San Juan (I am already planning on 2 night pre-cruise) and fly home at noon the next day.

This question gets asked a lot. I think the rumors that it is difficult to get through the airport are overblown. I've flown in and out of San Juan three times and never encountered any problems. Two of my trips to San Juan were to sail n the Serenade (you will love her). The ships clears customs and starts letting people off around 8 am. They give cruisers approximate departure times depending on their flight schedule. You should be able to easily make any noonish flight. My earliest flight was 11 am.

Getting through customs when you get off the ship is pretty fast. Then you simply walk out side and get a ticket for a taxi. If you have a porter, they will take you straight to the first taxi and bypass the taxi stand. You might save a few minutes, but you risk getting overcharged by the driver this way. It should only cost about $19 dollars to go to the airport, plus $1 per bag (I think).

When you get to the airport, you have an agricultural and regular screening. Each line moves pretty quickly (about the same as US airports).

I really find flying in and out of San Juan quite easy. I highly recommend flying in a day ahead of time though. I wouldn't want to risk missing the ship if the flight is delayed. There is plenty to do and see in and around San Juan if you want to enjoy extra time afterwards too, but it's not really necessary flight-wise.

Enjoy!

We have also been thru San Juan 3 times and never had a problem. In March we were on the Summit which also uses the PanAm dock. We were off the ship and at the airport about 830 for our 1030 flight. Checkin at AA was no problem it went pretty fast. We did get our boarding passes on the ship at the computer center. There are plenty of taxis at the dock and it is about 20 minutes to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a similar dilema. We are looking at a Princess cruise coming in at 6am. The only flights we can find leaving are at 8:30 am. I think this is cutting it really close. Anyone have any opinions? I know in March we made it off the Carnival Splendor at 9am and made it out of LaX by noon. I never thought wed make it but we had 30 minutes to spare. Thanks for your help!

I honestly don't know how you would do an 8:30 flight. It usually takes time for the ship to be cleared before the first people can debark, you have immigrations/customs at the port, 20- 30 minute drive to the airport, an agriculture inspection at the airport, check-in/baggage check, and the TSA. For RCCL most people report it takes at least 1 hour to clear the ship - Serenade also arrives at 6am (MDSue noted it was almost 8am in her case).

We have a similar dilema. We are looking at a Princess cruise coming in at 6am. The only flights we can find leaving are at 8:30 am. I think this is cutting it really close. Anyone have any opinions? I know in March we made it off the Carnival Splendor at 9am and made it out of LaX by noon. I never thought wed make it but we had 30 minutes to spare. Thanks for your help!

You will not make an 8:30 flight. The ship might arrive at 6am, but it doesn't start allowing customers off until around 8am. They have to be cleared first. Even if you got off a little earlier, by the time you go through customs, grab a cab, go through baggage xray and an agricultural check, it will be too late. I was told by our cruise agent (with Royal Caribbean) that any flight after 11:00 am is reasonable. Realistically, you should be at the airport between 9:00 and 9:30 am.

Archived