A couple charged about $1000 onto our onboard account

luvtwotrvl

Our server in the Princess Theatre mixed up our cruise card with someone else who was spending money like it was going out of fashion. I didn't notice for a few days that the server had returned the wrong card to me and seemingly neither did the other party who was spending wildly. The front desk sorted it very quickly when I brought the error to their attention.

Our server in the Princess Theatre mixed up our cruise card with someone else who was spending money like it was going out of fashion. I didn't notice for a few days that the server had returned the wrong card to me and seemingly neither did the other party who was spending wildly. The front desk sorted it very quickly when I brought the error to their attention.

OK, it took you several days to figure that out? How the heck did you get in your room? If it wasn't your card. it would not have worked as your room key:cool::eek::p

A couple charged about $1000 onto our onboard account...and it was NOT us.

On August 8, we boarded the Emerald Princess for our 7 day Caribbean cruise. This cruise was really a last minute resort to just get out of town before my DW heads back to work.

On Friday while on the ship we decided to check our account. Now, Princess has a computer right at the Front desk to just check your onboard account and we did. To our surprised, we had $1000 charged to our account from two people from another cabin that were total strangers. Font desk personnel cleared the problem quickly but it is still concerning to wonder how that could have happened and what if we received the final morning.

Lesson from this.....Please check your onboard account before the last day.

By the way, we had our account charged to our Credit Card which we did online at home before we boarded the ship.

David

I check when I board to be sure that any onboard credit has been applied. Then I check at least twice mid week and early before the crowd lines up on the last sea day. I haven’t been on a ship that has the self serve computer so if I happen to be walking past the purser’s desk and there isn't a line I just walk up and ask for a summary. If you are traveling with teens you should also check a few times during the week. I buy my kids the ultimate drink card and even with that my son who was 10 at the time managed to buy a sundae at scoops every day. This was before ice cream was free. Now that they are getting older I fear that one day when a look the summary I may find a Rolex listed as a purchase.

We were on the Ocean in July and they don't have the machine to check your account. The day before disembarkment (sea day), we had the pub lunch and ordered drinks. We got our final account early the next day. I noticed 2 charges for drinks from the pub lunch. I don't know if I should go down to the Purser's desk since it was only $7.50 but I did. She had to check ALL the receipts for that day. She didn't find any for that amount. She then had to ask her boss if ok to credit it back. She gave me cash for it.

It is SO easy for the servers to made mistakes copying the numbers down in the dark in the lounges and now they don't give you receipts for the drinks you have no proof.

It is SO easy for the servers to made mistakes copying the numbers down in the dark in the lounges and now they don't give you receipts for the drinks you have no proof.

As the OP described error was for $1,000. one would imagine that the computer program would flag such an entry. It certainly is not the norm. By flagging it to be veryified the line could have avoided the bad business practice publicity it is now receiving.

Of course it was. many transactions are made by the crew member noting the number on your card and then entering it into the computer. All it takes is a simple trasnposition of nubmers. Rihgt?

I was just going to say this. Some of the charges are posted manually via the receipts by someone on the night shift, so it must have been an error in order entry. It's not all computerized, so it's not like another passenger deliberately gave the wrong cabin number to charge to your account.

For example, I noticed that a charge that my mother (who was staying in the cabin next door) made was manually posted by the crew to my account.

But, not having a receipt doesn't prove you didn't purchase something. I was an auditor in a past life...the Princess system of writing down folio numbers is rife with opportunities for errors. The entire system credibility lies on those people who are OVER charged to step forward and dispute a charge (which, as has been mentioned, requires a lot of time out of a cruise). Generally, people who erroneously DON'T get charged either don't notice or consider it good fortune.

But I can understand and forgive simple keying errors when folio numbers are written down and input later, as opposed to a card being swiped. What bothers me is charges like we saw one cruise on the final night of the cruise, when WiFi charges dated days earlier were posted to our account. On that cruise, we didn't even have a piece of electronics that could access WiFi. Of course someone discovered at the last minute that they had unapplied WiFi charges....where could they stick them?? (Picking two former accountants as the recipients probably wasn't their wisest move). That necessitated waiting in a very long final morning line at the PSD to get them removed. Not a happy way to end a cruise.

I keep thinking that very soon we will see electronic scanning of cruise cards as well as electronic availability of one's onboard account.

While a sizable initial investment it would save Princess untold $$ in manpower printing account reconciliations and eliminate digging through tons of receipts manually.

Maybe someday,

Mike:)

I keep thinking that very soon we will see electronic scanning of cruise cards as well as electronic availability of one's onboard account.

While a sizable initial investment it would save Princess untold $$ in manpower printing account reconciliations and eliminate digging through tons of receipts manually.

Maybe someday,

I agree. This is the 21st century. This stuff should all be done electronically. The new kiosks that let you print your statement sound convenient, but generate a lot of wasted paper. How many people look at those print outs, realize they are correct, and immediately trash them? If it's that easy to print, will some people print a new copy every day? An electronic system, perhaps on the TV like some cruise lines have, would be so much better. I would much rather check my account on the TV or at a computer than have a paper print out that will just get thrown away. If other cruise lines are doing this, why is Princess still in the dark ages?

I agree. This is the 21st century. This stuff should all be done electronically. The new kiosks that let you print your statement sound convenient, but generate a lot of wasted paper. How many people look at those print outs, realize they are correct, and immediately trash them? If it's that easy to print, will some people print a new copy every day? An electronic system, perhaps on the TV like some cruise lines have, would be so much better. I would much rather check my account on the TV or at a computer than have a paper print out that will just get thrown away. If other cruise lines are doing this, why is Princess still in the dark ages?

We really like the new kiosks, no ines to wait in and we don't have to bother someone to print it out for us, but only check our account once on the last day of the cruise to be certain that we have received our obc and to check for mistakes....we have been on 110 cruises and have never been charged for something we did not use.....maybe we are just lucky but i think the system works pretty well and if there are mistakes they are taken care of promptly.

Great idea. It will be so much easier for everyone concerned. Hopefully the Kiosk will be on the Crown this summer. Speaking of the 21st Century, when will Princess allow you to view their photos online and stop wasting all the photo paper. Maybe they could reduce the cost of their photos and more people would purchase them. (sorry to get off topic)

:)

That might not be that far away. On the Emerald last week (8/22) during the lifeboat drill we were in the Crown Grill... the staff was going around with hand held scanners trying to scan the barcode on the back of the cruise card.... did not work well at all...most wouldn't scan..others took 6-8-10 tries before they "beeped".

They empahised this was a trial thing with the scanners ... other areas did not have them.

I hope that they don't use those until it is debugged as it will slow down the drill immensely.

A couple charged about $1000 onto our onboard account...and it was NOT us.

On August 8, we boarded the Emerald Princess for our 7 day Caribbean cruise. This cruise was really a last minute resort to just get out of town before my DW heads back to work.

On Friday while on the ship we decided to check our account. Now, Princess has a computer right at the Front desk to just check your onboard account and we did. To our surprised, we had $1000 charged to our account from two people from another cabin that were total strangers. Font desk personnel cleared the problem quickly but it is still concerning to wonder how that could have happened and what if we received the final morning.

Lesson from this.....Please check your onboard account before the last day.

By the way, we had our account charged to our Credit Card which we did online at home before we boarded the ship.

David

We had a charge for a DVD on our acct that was not ours and they pulled the signed slip for me at the Purser's office and it wasn't even close to our name! We got our credit back, but it wasn't instantaneous!! :confused:

That might not be that far away. On the Emerald last week (8/22) during the lifeboat drill we were in the Crown Grill... the staff was going around with hand held scanners trying to scan the barcode on the back of the cruise card.... did not work well at all...most wouldn't scan..others took 6-8-10 tries before they "beeped".

They empahised this was a trial thing with the scanners ... other areas did not have them.

I hope that they don't use those until it is debugged as it will slow down the drill immensely.

They were also toying with those on the Golden two weeks ago.

I'm glad they didn't give you too much hassel and just fixed the problem. It's kind of scary to think about if for some reason they didn't just take the charge off. I assume this type of situation could easily turn into a headache for some.

The new kiosks are a great idea. It should save lots of time waiting in line at the pursers desk.

OK, it took you several days to figure that out? How the heck did you get in your room? If it wasn't your card. it would not have worked as your room key:cool::eek::p

Funnily enough my wife always uses her card to get us into the cabin.

They were using these when we were on the Golden a few weeks ago. We were the last ones in the room scanned, and the crew member stood talking to us for a minute and showed us some things on the scanner. Apparently, in a real emergency, they can scan a person's card and then input whether the person is injured, deceased, etc. While it might slow down a routine lifeboat drill, this new system might be very useful in a real emergency!

Of course it was. many transactions are made by the crew member noting the number on your card and then entering it into the computer. All it takes is a simple trasnposition of nubmers. Rihgt?

Too funny! You will be a hoot to cruise with!

Rex

They used one of the hand scanners on the Ocean in July for the drill. Instead of scanning upon entering the dinningroom (only one entrance), they waited until people sat down and kept coming around it see if you were scanned. They were confused and kept asking who has not been scanned. I am sure some were missed.

Front desk really had no comment on the situation. I wanted to know how it happened but she would not comment on that. She was very friendly and took the charge off with no questions at all.

David

How did you know it was another couple and where their cabin was?

Archived