A couple charged about $1000 onto our onboard account

luvtwotrvl

That might not be that far away. On the Emerald last week (8/22) during the lifeboat drill we were in the Crown Grill... the staff was going around with hand held scanners trying to scan the barcode on the back of the cruise card.... did not work well at all...most wouldn't scan..others took 6-8-10 tries before they "beeped".

They empahised this was a trial thing with the scanners ... other areas did not have them.

I hope that they don't use those until it is debugged as it will slow down the drill immensely.

That's how Royal Caribbean moniter muster attendance on the Oasis, seemed to work well on there.

How did you know it was another couple and where their cabin was?

I am the OP's wife. When he scanned his card, it says on the screen, "We are processing your request. Our records indicate that other passengers are associated with your account. Would you like to see their records as well?"

We were expected the "other passenger" to be ME. Imagine our surprise when 3 names came up. Their cabin number was listed as well.

On DH's report, it showed details of his charges, but only a total of mine and the two occupants of Lido 230 (not our cabin). He could have asked the computer for a detail of our charges, I think, but we were beyond shock at that moment! The summary of ONE stranger was about $980, and the other had about $100.

to other posters...so I don't think this was a 'single' charge. Somehow, this couple had become attached to our credit card. It doesn't seem logical that a "number off" key punch would be likely... what are the odds that another passenger's card number would be that close to ours -- in a 16-digit sequence?

Could have happened at checkin if someone was scanning/imprinting the cards and did yours twice thinking they had done the other card instead.:confused:.

That's my thought!

Ironically, they also tried to give us a third "key" when we checked in. There was no third passenger in our cabin, so I'm guessing his was just filed incorrectly. On the last night, someone was trying to enter our cabin (wrong door!), and I joked that it was that "mystery guy" who finally found our room.

Both of these were certainly unusual events and NOT the norm.

I am the OP's wife. When he scanned his card, it says on the screen, "We are processing your request. Our records indicate that other passengers are associated with your account. Would you like to see their records as well?"

This happens to me all the time. Last time when we were checking in my son turned to me and said "Mom, your credit card has expired. Can I have another one?" Then my daughter...... :rolleyes: I thought when they got married - but I guess that's a whole different thread! Some times they even tell me first.

Ironically, the OP's cruise is the first one that I've actually found errors on my statement. Don't know for sure that it's never happened before, but these were easy enough to notice. One was pretty obviously a double-entry on Princess Cay, the other was that I got charged the setup fee for the internet, which platinum's shouldn't (although the girl at the pursers desk was sure that I should have been until she called down to check).

Could be worse, I was in the elevator with a guy who'd discovered his kids had charged $700 in internet fees to their cards.

Errors happen. There would have been a concern if the amount did not get adjusted. Great to know that the purser desk looked after this error quickly and professionally. I'm sure not all lines or hotels would have dealt with this error so quickly!

Can you just check it on the TV. Most Carnival ships have it on TV along with the dining room menu. Never sailed Princess so I do not know.

Ive never seen it on the TV on a Princess ship and have wondered why they dont. Celebrity does it on the TV as well. I often thought about it when I'd see the lines at the purser desk on the last day, but the swipe and print computer made it easy to get the information anytime.

We check our statement frequently throughout the cruise. The first time is to make sure the stockholder credit goes through, and then later to look for charges.

On the Star in February, there was a charge for Sabbattini's that wasn't ours. They found the receipt and it was clearly the wrong room number - the name wasn't even close. They did remove the charge but it took several hours, maybe a day.

At the time I thought that they should start using electronic scanners - would cut the error rate way down.

And I still think that.

I assume from reading this thread that receipts are not issued when making a purchase, is it possible to get one?

Usually they are but not always. Bar drinks are receipted but wine in the MDR does not get a receipt. :confused:

That might not be that far away. On the Emerald last week (8/22) during the lifeboat drill we were in the Crown Grill... the staff was going around with hand held scanners trying to scan the barcode on the back of the cruise card.... did not work well at all...most wouldn't scan..others took 6-8-10 tries before they "beeped".

They empahised this was a trial thing with the scanners ... other areas did not have them.

I hope that they don't use those until it is debugged as it will slow down the drill immensely.

If I remember correctly, they were using these on our Crown cruise in Apr 08. Didn't see them on the Island this past April.

Can you just check it on the TV. Most Carnival ships have it on TV along with the dining room menu. Never sailed Princess so I do not know.

Princess does not have that capability

By the way, we had our account charged to our Credit Card which we did online at home before we boarded the ship.

David

Doesn't matter that you entered the card from home. The only card that matters is the one they swipe at checkin. In your case; same card. May others change theirs at checkin.

Usually they are but not always. Bar drinks are receipted but wine in the MDR does not get a receipt. :confused:

You just need to ask for the receipt, they just don't want to be bothered taking the time to get a receipt.

I wonder if this is now standard on all their ships. We leave next Saturday on the CB. That would make things much eaiser.

Not standard yet. We just stepped off the Diamond Princess, and we had to wait in line at passenger services. I do like the fact they have business cards so we remember who we spoke with.

Well my daughter and I have the same name spelled differently. we curised to getter when she was under 21. Yep they mixed up the coding on the cards. I went to buy a drink and was told I was to young. I thought it was hoot! My daughter went rats! I could have been drinking legally!

We were on the Sapphire 8/1 and they scanned our cruise cards at muster and they scanned right away - maybe the Emerald ones were just malfunctioning.

Also wanted to mention...we planned on just printing out our folio at the kiosk on this cruise, but there was another passenger using it and she seemed to be printing out for a large group, so we just asked someone behind the desk and they printed a copy for us, no problem.

We've cruised Princess twice and never had a problem with charges, except when we go over it, we sometimes have a very hard time figuring out what the codes mean!

Archived