Sprint EVO on Cruise

janazaz

I read the Sprint website regarding the charges of using a phone on the ship or in port when texting or calling. What about using the other applications like the maps, Facebook, etc. If you have one of these smart phones and have used it on a cruise, do you know if there extra charges for using the apps? I can call them, but sometimes you get 5 people on the phone and you'll get 5 different answers.

In order for a lot of the apps to run, they need GPS/Cell Service to work. You'll most likely be racking up a large bill if you don't set your phone on airplane mode while on the ship. I know I'll be doing that with my HTC while on Liberty next week.

Call Sprint customer service and find out where the everything plan (needed for our phones) works. I know for example that my phone will work in San Juan without accruing additional charges. They also have international plans that you can use for one week if needed.

No matter what phone carrier you have, you will be charged $2.49/minute for calls while on the ship. If you want to use the wifi, you will have to buy a plan through the ship. I think texts are $.50 outgoing and $.05 incoming. Be careful, you could rack up a huge bill.

If you plan on using your phone while in port, you could purchase the international plan for 1 month. But, I'm not sure if the EVO is an international phone.

To get the web access (facebook, etc.) you need a data connection, so you would have to turn on WiFi on the phone, and you will be charged the standard WiFi rate through the ship.

I'm bringing my EVO on our cruise on Sun. but I definitely won't be using it for facebook. That can wait until I'm home or in port.

Watch out for those charges! I created a theme on my EVO which has no widgets that access data.

Unless you want a huge bill, when you get back, that bounces calls off satellites over Africa or someplace that your not in, turn off the Sprint phone, and communicate via email. It's slow, but you won't have a heart attack when you get the bill two months after the cruise!

One Carnival and RCI cruise using Sprint, and a ridiculous bill from both!

Now we only use the internet, or use the phones in port for a qucik check-in at home. Another option is phone cards or internet cafes while in port.

Unless you want a huge bill, when you get back, that bounces calls off satellites over Africa or someplace that your not in, turn off the Sprint phone, and communicate via email. It's slow, but you won't have a heart attack when you get the bill two months after the cruise!

One Carnival and RCI cruise using Sprint, and a ridiculous bill from both!

Now we only use the internet, or use the phones in port for a qucik check-in at home. Another option is phone cards or internet cafes while in port.

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. The CS rep at Sprint made it sound so simple and "free". We've always communicated via email,but I'm addicted to the EVO but I guess it'll be turned off. Too bad, isn't it???

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. The CS rep at Sprint made it sound so simple and "free". We've always communicated via email,but I'm addicted to the EVO but I guess it'll be turned off. Too bad, isn't it???

Agreed! Love my HTC EVO but keeping it turned off until I am in port. Which makes me wonder- is 4G is available in any of the ports I'll be visiting...

Agreed! Love my HTC EVO but keeping it turned off until I am in port. Which makes me wonder- is 4G is available in any of the ports I'll be visiting...

If you look at the coverage maps for 4G, it's only available here in the U.S. and in VERY small areas near VERY large cities. They're supposed to be putting up more towers, but that could take years.

Judy

Archived